which brand of GTX 970s is the best for OCing and in general just the base clock

hiyogozi

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
hello again people! im here to ask what 970 is really the best in terms of two things and that is base clock and what a good stable overclocking card. Which has both of those is what im looking for i plan to buy a 970 quite soon ive been looking at the EVGA model (i know about the heat sink issue) and with that im worried it wont be a good Overclocker. The other cards i looked at was the Asus model and the MSI i dont know much other than the two cards base and boost clocks but i do plan to overclock. so which of those cards is the best of both terms can anyone let me know it would help a lot, Thank you for your time!!

Casey Stadick

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
As said by a tech guy i follow,jayztwocents, the Windforce G1 gaming (BASE: 1178 MHz / BOOST: 1329) is one of the best gtx 970's that there is available, and the evga ssc (yes, super super clocked) is no laughing matter either (BASE Clock: 1190 MHZ / BOOST Clock: 1342). With the 3 fans the windforce can reach excess of 1500mhz

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Just as a general recommendation go with EVGA, with past experiences I have been able to overclock them better, I currently own a Windforce 770 and it overclocks like poo. But I cannot say first hand what 970/980 brand is better.

Casey Stadick

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014

Is your gpu listed as windforce? The G1 series goes through "gauntlet" sorting, i guess the ones that don't pass their test go toward the windforce models.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador

I have a 770 not a 970 and back then they didn't have a G1 version, although I do have the OC version so that might mean something although I WASN'T able to get a VERY good overclock, but that could be because my 770 is GK104 which is pretty well maxed out on the 770s, but my recommendation is still EVGA, they have close ties with Nvidia so go with them if the price is the same which it should be,