Question Which Brand Pci-E to Sata 3.0 Internal 6Gbps Ports Disk Expansion Card is the best?

oren reuben

Prominent
May 13, 2019
Hello,

I am not so tech savvy but I will try to be as clear as possible.

My Mother board is "Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0". I already have "AMD R9 290X graphics card" Installed on the first x16 'tan' coloured slot on my mother board. As you all know that it so "FAT" that it covers the entire x1 slot next to it. I want to add an "ASUS Essence STX II sound card" on my system. The one with only the stereo option NOT the 7 channel one with the daughter board. the link is here:

https://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ASUS+Xonar+Essence+STX&rh=i:aps,k:ASUS+Xonar+Essence+STX

Since all my sata slots are full, i want to add a Pci-E to Sata 3.0 Internal 6Gbps Ports Disk Expansion Card. For Now only the 2 slots one to start with. An example of this is:

https://www.amazon.in/Zibuyu-Intern...=1538398031&sr=8-79&keywords=sata+3+pcie+card

So my first question is what will be the best placement of the above 3 cards on the motherboard so as to get the best of these cards without any conflicts. If I DO NOT want to add any sound card then what is the best placement for these two cards on the motherboard so as to get the best of these two cards without any conflicts. As you know that the pcie to sata 3 expansion port cards are not made by big companies but maybe small companies mostly in china so how durable and stable they are is a big question. I am planning to buy a 2 port one with the drive support from 2 TB to 14 TB to begin with as this will be my first experience with such a card. Most probably I may go with the one above. I am NOT going to boot the system through the card or do any kind of raid or backup process with this card. I just want additional internal storage. Can someone suggest a high quality brand with great stability. Price is NOT an issue. I heard a whole lot of issues with these cards but still many people got it working somehow. I heard terrible things about these cards. Some where I read that the JMicron controller chips if crashed will destroy the hard disks also. Some where else I read that there are critical bugs in marvell chips that fail to recognize drives above 2 TB and cause silent data corruption. Asmedia controllers don't seem to have this issue but they seem to be buggy as well. I am terrified by reading all that but i need additional storage slots too. Below you will find a few links from which I found out.

https://ru-root.livejournal.com/2659575.html

So with respect to sata 3 expansion card here's what I want ..

• great stability and good driver support with no critical bugs that would destroy my hard disk
  • ability to add any size drive from 2 TB to 14 TB
  • (optional) any another useful feature
What I DON'T want:

• raid function
  • sata port multiplier [i am ok with one port one hard disk. my cabinet does not have so much space for so many drives so spending on raid or port multiplier cards is a waste]
Can any one please research and give me their valuable advice as to which brand's card should I go for.

Thank you to everyone for their kind advice.

Last edited: