Which BUDGET CPU should i opt for overclocking??

khicharkumar

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Hello Everyone, Hitting on the point..
My Sys Specs Are
****ing Celeron D 331 on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L OC @ 3.4 Ghz (Stable) Please don't tease me saying what a ** CPU in the time of i7 980-X....
2 GB DDR 800 Mhz 2*1GB in Dual Channel
320 GB SATA II WD Cavier HDD
500 W PSU

I want to upgrade my CPU(only) so as to get rig of this bottleneck performance i am on limited amount of money budget
thats INR2500-3250 (50$-65$)......for me options are..
1.Pentium Dual Core E5200
2.Pentium Dual Core E5300
3.Pentium Dual Core E5400
4.Pentium Dual Core E5500 (This is still not available in my city (thats a small town) since it was released last month only)
I want to use my existing setup i.e. Mobo, RAM, PSU and Case....so i cant change my platform to AMD since its processors utilize AM2+ and AM 3 motherboards...
From above mentioned CPU which's best overclocker i have read reviews about E5200 work great at 1333 Mhz FSB...
But problem is i am going to use Virtualization and E5200 is not supporting VT-x but E5300 and E5400 does...
I aint worried about cooling, the heat and high wattage monster Celeron D's heatsink which is of Cooler Master is massive..
Another thing though it won't matter after getting the new CPU....In this mobo's BIOS (GA-G41M-ES2L) after i overclock to FSB 166-175 system wont boot up sometimes,sometimes it does and freezes but using Easy Tune it's stable even at 170 using Prime 95 stress Testing..........!What's the reason for this!!

Sorting the above mess up main question for making simple for all to answer ??
1.Which CPU should i buy from mentioned above and what's the optimal OC setting for it? Please mention Vcore,VTT voltages too i ain't experienced about voltage setting and can't figure out.?
2.What's the reason for OC Problems through my bios?
3.Is my English OK??.....

All reviews would be appreciated ..

Solution
1. E5400, it has the highest multiplier so would be the easiest to OC. All chips are different, you have to figure out what your CPU want for voltage. Check out some OCing guides.
2. Settings are wrong.
3. Fine, better than a lot of native english speaking people here.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
1. E5400, it has the highest multiplier so would be the easiest to OC. All chips are different, you have to figure out what your CPU want for voltage. Check out some OCing guides.
2. Settings are wrong.
3. Fine, better than a lot of native english speaking people here.

Solution

khicharkumar

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
OK i gonna get E5400.....on next Monday the most lucky day for me...(Being Superstitious)
I messed up every setting in bios each and everything..still same problem with OC from bios...PC fails to boot and after restoring default setting when i enter the windows the screen blinks(turns off and on for fews secs)..
Does this setting have to do anything with OC and if yes what:
1.CPU Termination Voltage
2.CPU Reference Voltage
If i OC from easy tune everything's fine and stable till 3.4 Ghz and chip temp's (Celeron D 331)hardly over 52 C Under Prime 95......
I have to figure this problem out since i tried my friend C2D E7500 and same problem with it too if OCing from BIOS
but in ET 6 i got the scream out of chip easily over 3.5 Ghz..and even more..

khicharkumar

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

Hey RJR Thanks for the reply.
But I tried retuning everything setting in BIOS to get the bootable OC even it refuces to boot at FSB170(170*4=680)
BUt in ET 6 it goes to 175 stable...(I use DDR 800 modules which run at 533 Mhz default due to CPU's 533 FSB,So there can't be problem with RAM since at 680 it run at 680(340*2)only...i m also unable to change system memory multiplyer too.)
I tried upping vcore from 1.375 to 1.475 but no luck from BIOS OC!
Few noticable things:
1.I did n't change CPU Reference and CPU Termination Voltages since i don't know what they do??
2.After the unbootable situation when i get back in windows after resetting the MIT(FSB,Vcore) Values to default when i get back in Windows,Screen flickers for a while (Goes off and on) i am using the onboard GMA 4500 since i do not play Crysis,GTA 4 etc titles......
3.The mobo's DVD contained GMA 4500 driver after installing which, if i try to launch any 3D app PC reboots(including any Video Songs in any Video Player),so i updated to latest driver from Intel which is used by Intel HD Graphics In Core i3 and Core i5 it supports my chipset too...i.e.G41.

Before you install the new CPU, polish the base of the cooler (not the CPU) to a better flatness. Then apply a thin layer of Arctic Silver 5 (or equivalent) thermal compound per recommended procedures described on this website. Doing so will ensure lower temps during overclocking.

This site has some nice articles/posts regarding polishing (sometimes called lapping) and the proper application of thermal compound.

khicharkumar

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

Thanks pal it's better, i never use thermal compound other than what's already on Stock Heat Sink with CPU........
R u from India ?

Originally from India - now settled in the US

By polishing my Cooler Master V8 base, and then installing it, I lowered my idle temps by 5 to 8 degs. C - if you decide to polish the cooler base, read some of the posts here (and elsewhere) first, and familiarize yourself before attempting this. Its easy to create an "edge fall off" if this is not done diligently.