Question Which "Budget" RAM for my Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 (and i5-13600K)?

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a "budget" set of 32GB DDR 4 (Two X 16GB) for my gigabyte z690 ud ddr4

Is the Kingston Fury Beast 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 CL16 Desktop Memory Kit of 2 KF432C16BB1K2/32 a good budget choice at $86.77 right now???

I bought some TeamGroup Zeuss RAM which I mistakenly THOUGHT was supported by Gigabyte for that board, but apparently it is not. (The RAM I bought was TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus DDR4 32GB (2x16GB) 2666MHz (PC4-21300) CL19 Desktop Memory Module Ram - TTZD432G2666HC19DC01)

I can't use XMP with that TeamGroup Zeuss RAM. Otherwise, I have been using it for a week (at the out-of-the-box 2400MTs speed) and it seems fine. But I don't really know how to stress test it. (I am still within Amazon's return window for this RAM).

The Memory Compatibility list for my Gigabyte mother board is here:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-UD-DDR4-rev-1x/support#support-memsup

It LOOKS like the Kingston Fury is Supported, BUT I thought the TeamGroup Zeuss RAM I bought before was supported, so I doubt my ability to read that chart accurately.

PS: I don't really game. I do photo editing (Photoshop and Lightroom) and video editing (DaVinci Resolve Studio, maybe kdenlive sometimes).

I am using an i5-13600K and an RTX 2060 Super (the graphics card is only a single fan OEM pulled from an Alienware / Dell computer)

Thanks in advance.

That is strange I see that part number in the linked chart also. It should mean they actually tested those themselves. Could be some issue with the pair you have.

Most people use a bootable program called memtest86 or memtest86+ which they say was recently updated. This is something you run and go to bed and see in the morning if you have errors. If it does not fail this test it likely will not fail under normal conditions.

Reactions: My PC Hates Me

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
That is strange I see that part number in the linked chart also. It should mean they actually tested those themselves. Could be some issue with the pair you have.

Most people use a bootable program called memtest86 or memtest86+ which they say was recently updated. This is something you run and go to bed and see in the morning if you have errors. If it does not fail this test it likely will not fail under normal conditions.

Thank you for the reply. I will look in to memtest86.

I am wondering now since I don't game (except for the occasional game of Paladins, please don't laugh), and since I mostly edit photos and videos, whether getting more memory (that is slower) might not be a better move (ysing an i5-13600K on a Z690)

Sometimes I feel like I bought at the WRONG time because everything seems to be going the way of DDR5, and now I am "stuck" with a DDR4 system. I would like to get (hopefully) four years out of this system, and still be able to sell it "for something" after four years.

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
A little cheaper, but then I would try to run this at 3600 speeds anyway. They make more money by selling lots of cheaper kits then they do faster kits, sometimes the faster memory ends up in the slower kits to make up the volume.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3q...-x-16-gb-ddr4-3200-cl16-memory-kf432c16bbk232

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kX...16-gb-ddr4-3200-cl16-memory-f4-3200c16d-32gvk

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/W6...2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-cmk32gx4m2e3200c16

Thank you for the reply and for the links to the memory modules.

Since I don't game and instead do mostly photo and video editing, it might be better to invest in 64GB of slower memory than 32GB of faster memory?

I am still rocking an RTX 2060 Super and if I ever do upgrade, it would probably be to something like a used RTX 3070 (don't know if this is relevant to my situation or not).

I really don't know what application you get the most out of memory speed. For gaming it is only a tiny change, most people will not see some small increase in FPS unless they have some tool running to measure it.

In your case I don't know how much benefit going to 64GB over 32GB. For games it would make little to no difference.

You can likely guess by looking at the resource monitor tab and see how much memory is in use and free currently.

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
I really don't know what application you get the most out of memory speed. For gaming it is only a tiny change, most people will not see some small increase in FPS unless they have some tool running to measure it.

In your case I don't know how much benefit going to 64GB over 32GB. For games it would make little to no difference.

You can likely guess by looking at the resource monitor tab and see how much memory is in use and free currently.

Thank you for the tip. Yes, I will try to keep an eye on the task manager / resource monitor to see how much memory is being used.

TRENDING THREADS