Which build would be the best for PUBG or gaming in general?

mathew.hoorne10

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
BUILD 1-----------------------------------------
CPU - i7-2700K @ 3.5Ghz
GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
RAM - 16GB
SSD - 250GB
HDD - 1TB
BUILD 2-----------------------------------------
CPU - i5-4670K @3.4Ghz
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1060 3G
RAM - 12GB
SSD - /
HDD - 1TB
BUILD 3-----------------------------------------
CPU - i7-3770 @ 3.4Ghz
GPU - GTX 970 ZOTAC
RAM - 8GB
SSD - 128GB
HDD - 1TB
BUILD 4-----------------------------------------
CPU - i7-4790 @3.6Ghz
GPU - GTX 970 MSI Gaming 4G
RAM - 12GB
SSD - /
HDD - 2TB

Which build would be best for PUBG or gaming in general?
What fps would I get with the best build? (I'm fine with playing on the LOW preset)
Really appreciated :)

Solution
if they are roughly same cost i would say build 1 then. you will get around 90fps on low with either gpu, it's a little tougher to tell what the i7 would do since they don't use that in test setups.. i think even the i5 could be a small bottleneck. i have an i5 4460 / rx 480 and in a few games it feels like the cpu is a small bottleneck, nothing major, but noticeable at times.

i think 60fps with either of those on at least low or a custom mix of settings would definitely be obtainable. i have not played pubg, but with my build i have yet to find a game i can't play on at least medium - high 1080p 60+ fps and i play lots of nice looking games like the division, witcher 3, etc..

the ssd is going to be very noticeable. i'll put it this...

rontonomo

Honorable
Jun 26, 2016
In general a better gpu will give you better performance, so i would be inclined to say number 1, that said a newer cpu can also have good benefits but having more ram and a ssd is also better so again i would say number 1.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
If they are 100% as is then build 1 mostly due to the SSD and huge decrease in load times. If build 2 had an ssd i would go with that one, but it depends on how the windows update affects and older intel cpu.. If 2nd gen takes a larger performance hit than 4th gen than go with build 2, not really sure yet. The 1060 and 980 basically have the same performance. It's pretty insane the efficiency gained in just 1 generation of cards to the point that the newer card 2 entire models lower performs within 10% of one that cost about double the price just a year before. The 1060 wins out in some games, but overall it's within a 10% difference favoring the 980.

What are you trying to do here? which are current parts vs ones you will be acquiring? The 2nd and 4th gen intel cpu's are different socket types which makes me wonder this. You can't combine builds 1 and 2 together?

mathew.hoorne10

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017

Well in the country I live in there's this known website where they sell used items and i've been looking for a pc on there for a while now and these were about the best pc's for my budget, they're all quite cheap so adding an SSD won't hurt
And yes these are already built pc's so i can't really upgrade the specs on any of these for the time being unless it's adding an SSD

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
if they are roughly same cost i would say build 1 then. you will get around 90fps on low with either gpu, it's a little tougher to tell what the i7 would do since they don't use that in test setups.. i think even the i5 could be a small bottleneck. i have an i5 4460 / rx 480 and in a few games it feels like the cpu is a small bottleneck, nothing major, but noticeable at times.

i think 60fps with either of those on at least low or a custom mix of settings would definitely be obtainable. i have not played pubg, but with my build i have yet to find a game i can't play on at least medium - high 1080p 60+ fps and i play lots of nice looking games like the division, witcher 3, etc..

the ssd is going to be very noticeable. i'll put it this way, i wouldn't even own a computer without an ssd. when i switched to purely pc gaming about 4-5 years ago i didn't have an ssd the first couple of months. i bought one and could not believe how people get by without them, it's that much of a difference in overall performance.. web browsing, everything and load times are so short.

Solution