[SOLVED] Which build would you get?

Jan 10, 2022
If you would purely look at the most bang for your buck while prioritizing performance aswell, which of the following 3 builds would you get? My preference goes out the the middle build. CBA to wait on Ryzen 7x series and don't think the 5800x3d will be worth the wait.
I'm gaming on 1440p, 144hz and mostly play FPS games where I don't want to get handicapped by my system.

builds.png

Open to other suggestions ofcourse!

Last edited:
Solution
Uhh, what's the worst one? Probably a blower/turbo model, right?

Going by these 2 reviews of the 3080 Trinity and 3080Ti AMP Holo, it looks like they run with a few watts lower power limits than Founders Edition. Not necessarily a dealbreaker, but overclocking is definitely off the table - not like Ampere has much headroom there anyway.
You could turn that around and say that it makes the card a little easier to cool.

The reasons I am favoring the Radeon card higher is:
-still taking some price to performance into perspective, even though these are top end cards being discussed here... value is kind of out of the window - to a point.
-RT, DLSS/FSR, and other features, personally don't hold much weight to me. They're nice...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
None of these builds reflect anything bang for buck. There's selections in each build that makes me raise my value for buck eyebrows.

The 12600K is the most balanced of the 3 cpus listed.
The 6900XT and 3080Ti can trade blows sometimes, and the latter has more content creator friendly tools.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022
None of these builds reflect anything bang for buck. There's selections in each build that makes me raise my value for buck eyebrows.

The 12600K is the most balanced of the 3 cpus listed.
The 6900XT and 3080Ti can trade blows sometimes, and the latter has more content creator friendly tools.

Well, I kind of phrased it poorly I guess.

I do want a high end system but it's not like I don't care about the money it costs me. Looking at benchmarks, I can't justify getting a 3080 TI that's €400+ more or a 3090 that costs €1000 more than the 6900XT. Even tho they Nvidea's perform slightly better in the games I'm playing currently. However I don't mind spending a bit extra on unneccessary RGB stuff to make it look pretty in my living room.^^

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, I kind of phrased it poorly I guess.

I do want a high end system but it's not like I don't care about the money it costs me. Looking at benchmarks, I can't justify getting a 3080 TI that's €400+ more or a 3090 that costs €1000 more than the 6900XT. Even tho they Nvidea's perform slightly better in the games I'm playing currently. However I don't mind spending a bit extra on unneccessary RGB stuff to make it look pretty in my living room.^^
Ok, now I have a better idea of what's actually going on with these builds.
I think build #2 wins... but if I could make a couple part changes:
+
6900XT: If DLSS and content creator features of RTX aren't a selling point for you, or you're having a hard time swallowing the price difference of 3080Ti.

RTX 3080: This could've been an easy contender, as it's really not that much weaker than the other 2 gpus listed here.
The problem is that it's been artificially jacked up more than others due to being phased out with a product with greater company profit margins(hello, 3080Ti) and becoming a scarce(r) item.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022
Ok, now I have a better idea of what's actually going on with these builds.
I think build #2 wins... but if I could make a couple part changes:
+
6900XT: If DLSS and content creator features of RTX aren't a selling point for you, or you're having a hard time swallowing the price difference of 3080Ti.

RTX 3080: This could've been an easy contender, as it's really not that much weaker than the other 2 gpus listed here.
The problem is that it's been artificially jacked up more than others due to being phased out with a product with greater company profit margins(hello, 3080Ti) and becoming a scarce(r) item.

I wasn't too convinced about the 12700k either, but since it was only about €100 difference I chose to go with the middle option.

However, I came across a 3080TI for only €1800. According to reviews it's far from the best one, but not the worst one either.

https://www.snogard.de/produkte/Zot...10D-10P-Gaming-GeForce-RTX3080Ti-Trinity.html

Would you still prefer the 6900XT? As you said, the prices of the 3080 are all in the same area as the other 2 in my region.

One thing to note is that Gigabyte's RGB software isn't great. Try to get an ASUS motherboard, at least theirs kinda works for RGB.
IMO 12600k + 3080 Ti (if you can get one for around the same price as the following gpu) or 6900 XT (if its significantly cheaper than the 3080/TI/3090) + an ASUS z690 motherboard for RGB stuff.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Uhh, what's the worst one? Probably a blower/turbo model, right?

Going by these 2 reviews of the 3080 Trinity and 3080Ti AMP Holo, it looks like they run with a few watts lower power limits than Founders Edition. Not necessarily a dealbreaker, but overclocking is definitely off the table - not like Ampere has much headroom there anyway.
You could turn that around and say that it makes the card a little easier to cool.

The reasons I am favoring the Radeon card higher is:
-still taking some price to performance into perspective, even though these are top end cards being discussed here... value is kind of out of the window - to a point.
-RT, DLSS/FSR, and other features, personally don't hold much weight to me. They're nice, but I, or the titles I play, don't make use of them. That just leaves the normal rasterization performance. Your needs/wants may be different. This is about you, after all.

Solution
Jan 10, 2022
One thing to note is that Gigabyte's RGB software isn't great. Try to get an ASUS motherboard, at least theirs kinda works for RGB.
IMO 12600k + 3080 Ti (if you can get one for around the same price as the following gpu) or 6900 XT (if its significantly cheaper than the 3080/TI/3090) + an ASUS z690 motherboard for RGB stuff.

Wouldn't I be able to do all that with Corsair ICue? I already have a keyboard from them, so I purposely stuck with the brand so I could control all the RGB within 1 program.

Wouldn't I be able to do all that with Corsair ICue? I already have a keyboard from them, so I purposely stuck with the brand so I could control all the RGB within 1 program.
I suppose if you have enough ports on the Corsair HUB for all your aRGB needs. This assumes that you have potentially 2 free USB 2.0 ports on the motherboard. This also assumes you do not care to control the RGB included on the motherboard itself if it has any to speak of.

Reactions: AkitaLuna

TRENDING THREADS