Which C2d Mobo from local retailer?

Cheesevillage

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Short story:

Hey guys. I've got a new rig in the works. It's not for me so there probably wont be any overclocking done. That said,I want quality and ease.

-approx $1000 Can budget

Plans so far:

-1 Gig RAM

-either 7900GS, 1900GT, or used 7800GT

But my main question lies in the motherboard. There are so many threads concerning chipsets that I'm having trouble figuring out what to do. I'm on a budget - but when the difference between good and bad is only $50 then the choice is obvious.

I'm going to be buying locally because of the need for instant gratification and ease of warranty. My mobo choices are here:
http://www.otvtech.com/pricelist/otvpricelist.pdf

Im thinking either the:
Asus P5N-E SLI (Nvidia nForce 650i, Dual Channel, Dual PCI-E, Quad Core, Core Duo2, ATX ) ***
but no price is posted

or the Asus P5B.

thanks,

-Cheese

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
The mobos seem pretty similar so probably go with the P5N-E since it has SLI (so you can add a card in the future even if you aren't planning on it now).

Jo

Cheesevillage

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Thanks for the advice. I don't know what the problem with the pdf is - it opens in my browser just fine.

mobo16bf.png

So the 650i is looking like my best option?

-Cheese

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
On that list is also the MSI P965 Platinum, which is what I have an am pleased with. I use 4 of the 7 sata ports and will use 2 others if I run out my current main storage. No eSATA, but I wanted the serial port on the back and the possibility for crossfire (which I won't be using after all since I went back to nvidia (so the Asus P5B Dx would be better but it costs a decent percentage more).

Jo