Question Which cable(s) for powering 2070 Super?

Dec 24, 2019
I am pairing an EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G3-0650-Y1) with an RTX 2070 Super. The GPU has the follow power port configuration:

z31xXE6.jpg

My previous GPU only had a single 8-pin port, so I need to change up my PSU cabling to support this new GPU. But I'm not sure exactly how.

The EVGA PSU ships with two VGA power cables (picture at bottom of the post):
  • an 8-pin to 6+2 pin (circled in red in picture) - I used this cable only with my previous GPU
  • an 8-pin to 2x 6+2 pin, daisy-chained together (circled in blue in picture).
So it appears I could fill all the GPU power ports in one of two ways:
  1. Use the 8-pin to 2x 6+2 pin cable by itself
  2. Use the 8-pin to 6+2 pin for the 8-pin GPU power port and the 8-pin to 2x 6+2 pin for the 6-pin GPU power port, leaving the extra daisy-chained 6+2 pin portion of that cable disconnected.
Does anyone know which of these options is correct, or how to figure it out?

Thanks!

I857GiO.jpg

I am pairing an EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G3-0650-Y1) with an RTX 2070 Super. The GPU has the follow power port configuration:

z31xXE6.jpg

My previous GPU only had a single 8-pin port, so I need to change up my PSU cabling to support this new GPU. But I'm not sure exactly how.

The EVGA PSU ships with two VGA power cables (picture at bottom of the post):
  • an 8-pin to 6+2 pin (circled in red in picture) - I used this cable only with my previous GPU
  • an 8-pin to 2x 6+2 pin, daisy-chained together (circled in blue in picture).
So it appears I could fill all the GPU power ports in one of two ways:
  1. Use the 8-pin to 2x 6+2 pin cable by itself
  2. Use the 8-pin to 6+2 pin for the 8-pin GPU power port and the 8-pin to 2x 6+2 pin for the 6-pin GPU power port, leaving the extra daisy-chained 6+2 pin portion of that cable disconnected.
Does anyone know which of these options is correct, or how to figure it out?

Thanks!

I857GiO.jpg

all you do is plug in the 8 pin, then the 6 pin. SO the same 8 pin that powered your 670, plug that into the 8pin port, and then use the 6pin plug to plug it into the 6 pin.

Typically 6 pin connectors will have a small cable coming off of it with a 2pin to be able to use the 6pin as an 8pin.

To me it looks like the blue circle would be correct as the red circle looks to only have 1 6pin (+2pin) which would be 1 8pin max.