peteblazey

Commendable
Oct 18, 2018
I have a modular power supply (Corsair CX550M). I bought a seagate barracuda 2tb. It didn't come with any cables and I realised I needed to buy them so I bought a sata cable and also this cable which I though would power my hard drive. Turns out it's male and I need female. I cannot for the life of me find a link to the cable I need. Could anyone please help? I lost the box that the PSU came in and all the cables with it :(

Solution
-CP-9020102-NA-Gallery-CX550M-05.png

the SATA cables are the second and third cables shown in the picture.
the PSU should have all the cables you need. the cables are manufacturer specific and even model specific. you cannot just buy any old cable, the pinouts vary by PSU. you would need to get the cables made fore the PSU model. go to corsair.com they sell spare cables
the cable you got is not for the purpose you thought it is to use the SATA power to power another device in this case a GPU.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
-CP-9020102-NA-Gallery-CX550M-05.png

the SATA cables are the second and third cables shown in the picture.
the PSU should have all the cables you need. the cables are manufacturer specific and even model specific. you cannot just buy any old cable, the pinouts vary by PSU. you would need to get the cables made fore the PSU model. go to corsair.com they sell spare cables
the cable you got is not for the purpose you thought it is to use the SATA power to power another device in this case a GPU.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well, you'd never be able to use that cable you bought in a million years since it's an ill-advised adapter for PCI-Express.

You have a modular power supply, which means the power cables are specific to a Corsair CXM. There's no generic cable to buy. You need to buy cables that are specifically designed for this exact power supply. For this PSU, for the SATA cables you need Type 3 Corsair cables. Sourcing these cheaply can be a bit of a pain and it may be half (or more) of a new PSU just to get the cables.

Unfortunately, your good option was to be more careful with your spare cables.

Reactions: Corwin65