which card maker makes the best cards?

shaido7

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2003
I would like to purchase the top card out at this time i know a fair amount about video cards but what i dont know is which video card maker is the best.Im not sure if i want to over clock but i want to buy from the best card maker so that i am happy with my 500 part.

<font color=blue>"i know a fair amount about video cards but what i dont know is which video card maker is the best.Im not sure if i want to over clock" </font color=blue>

In other words you know, but you don't know? Streange. If you know a fair amount about video cards one would think you'd already have an idea of what you were considering.

Radeon R9800XT or FX5950. For someone not sure of what they are doing it'll be fine. The areas that each doesn't excel in will go unnoticed by you.

Of course since you didn't mention what you are using it for, you Could get an Matrox Parhelia, that's a GREAT card with the very best Image Quality on the Market.

Either that or you could send me the $500 and I'll Send you my R9600Pro which is a GREAT card too, just ask anyone here. :evil:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <b>RED GREEN</b> GA to SK :evil:

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/" target="_new">-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</A>

Hey boys, that's Scammy's front page you gotta click on the THGC forum link at the top.

BTW, DDWags I'm not a chick (except in some very disturbing dreams). I think the pic on the front page is a friend of EDEN's or something, at least that's my feeling from his discussions in the OTHER section.

My pics are in the THGC section under the TGGA link;

Here's the direct link to the list;

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new">http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html</A>

And to my pics (nothing special and the inside of my rig didn't make the page [probably because I had a radioactive isotope container in the pic and that may have caused issues, dunno]);

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/TheGreatGrapeApe.html" target="_new">http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/TheGreatGrapeApe.html</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Hey dude I just checked out your pics... YOUR NORMAL! LOL (thats a compliment for a THGC member)

You know though, between you and some other less outspoken members of the community convinced me to buy my 9800s. But Im having more, and more, problems. Check out my post on my problems I had earlier.
You and your ATI flaunting ways, (yes I saw that pic) can help me!

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>

Well I answered you in that thread, but I'm making you work for the answer because of that 'ATI flaunting' crack! :tongue:

Funny thing is I haven't always run ATI, nor are they my Fav., which I think I told you a while back.
However my Favourite company has abandonded me and gaming. It think ATI simply was the best at picking up where my fav. company left off. Also I have some issues with Graphzilla's recent activities like we've discussed before. Doesn't mean I won't go with them should ATI f'up with the next gen cards. I'll just give ATI one extra chance du to recent events, after which it'd be an NV40 for me.

Thanks about the pics. Normal? I guess that's a relative term. :wink:

BTW, if you wanna see my '3D' card history, look at my 'confessions' post in <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=378608#378608" target="_new">this thread</A>.

Now, time to Crash.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Thats funny that you went to ATI after Matrox went away from the performance market.

When 3dfx died I went to Nvidia because I felt they were picking up where 3dfx left off.
I always felt 3dfx had a good combination of features and speed and so does NV. Yes, it hurt, I was actually attached to 3dfx even though it was a corporate machine.. it was like my Commodore 64, a inseperable part of my childhood and past.
Starting up GLQuake with a voodoo1 on a pentium 133 was quite the experience for a kid raised on Sierra adventure games and Zork text adventures (which you thoroughly reintroduced to me, thank you).

I regret getting rid of my old 3dfx cards (diamond monster 3d voodoo1, voodoo3 2000) but I gave them to friends and family so once they retire those PCs I can get them back.
But I sold my Geforce2 GTS, the card that absolutely sold me on NV, and the card I still promote as its slow by an enthusiasts standards but it was as groundbreaking overall as the original voodoo1 IMO. The card (GTS) still plays modern games. I had a TNT2 sometime in there but not for very long.

But I used to hate NV when 3dfx was alive.. so strange how things change.
I dont think I can ever be a true blue ATI supporter though, they just arent the same (*cough*as good*cough* :smile: ).

edit- Have to add, in that other thread you rated the drivers as such
For the DRIVERS;

nV A
ATI A-
I'd give NV an A+ hands down and ATI a B-. Also on the card ratings, I'd personally give the NV cards an A+.. it depends on what your looking at. As far as technical prowess and flexibility the NV are superior (massive bandwidth and advanced pixel shaders). Being stuck at 24FP isnt the best situation in the future, but I know what your saying.

Also you had a Matrox Mystique? That was an early bird, that was somewhere around the time I was blowing your system away with my voodoo1 :wink: .
But I have my "old" PC Gamer magazines somewhere with the Mystique advertisements and I have been wanting for a few years to pull those out and scan them.. put them up on a website that I have yet to create.
Just for nostalagia. The new cards (post GTS) just dont get my blood pumping anymore from any of the manufacturers.
Besides the GF4, and for a brief moment the R300 core (before I bought one LOL) I got a small rush.
But now I'm waiting for the next NV.

These stupid little issues have turned me off from ATI once again (I had some experience with their older stuff and bought the TV Wonder years ago for college).
My famous recommendation holds true for ATI, they might be great for most or some, especially enthusiasts.. but I couldnt (from my experience) recommend them blindly to my friends and family. So I wont recommend them to you guys either.

DONT YOU FEEL THE LOVE!?

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 11/30/03 02:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

I'd give NV an A+ hands down and ATI a B-. Also on the card ratings, I'd personally give the NV cards an A+.. it depends on what your looking at.
I don't think that's realistic though.

ATI has driver issues, but also benifits. nV has driver issues and benifits, I think there is no way that EITHER can get A+. That would mean they are perfect. Same goes for architecture.
The Brillinear issue for nV is one 'problem', and their rendering issues in Halo, RTCW and a few other areas have to knock them down a peg (A+ means no issues or things we'd wanna add to me), call me tough if you want, but they do have the benifit of Temp monitoring, Digital Vibrance, and history (overhyped IMO).
ATI has nice additonal features like the SmartShader effects (yes somewhat gimmiky but a nice addition), the new EasyShare, better MultiMedia features for AIW cards, also Fullstream is a nice 'free' addition. Of course it has driver issues in a bunch of games just like nV, and some recent ones, have pushed it down a bit in my ranking, but they are d4mn close.

As for architecture. Give me a break nV is a long way away from A+ and definitely ATI has the lead there. More closely reflects DX9 that nV, no need for run-time compiler style optimizations running partial precision. Anything that requires more time for developers to code for is not a better design IMO. Also nV's designs require much faster core and memory in order to keep pace with the ATIs. Make the R9800XT with 2.2ns memory and watch the performance gulf increase. Older nV cards were the top in their class, the FXs are not. Also ATI perfect the 0.13 process and even the LOW-K process in their R9600 ine whereas nV still has not managed anything above raw mhz (still requiring 2 slots on the FX5950 in most cases). IMO nV's only recent triumph has been the FX5700U which seems to be very different than previous cores (3 vertex engines helps). Of course nV currently owns the workstation market, but that's a minority of the cards out there.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but my opinion is that giving anyone A+ in any segment is simply being too generous. Even A/A- may have been a little generous on my part. Sure they often exceed most of our expectations, but just check the forums and see the /requests' when they have open chats with nV and ATI devlopers.

If you get selective as to what you're going to grade on then, I say MAtrox earns and A+/A+, but I don't think that's any more realistic.

Can we at least agree that Sis is D+/D+? :wink:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
WOW! I didnt ask for your diatribe!!! LOL

I just took when you said 'personal' ratings was how you saw it.. so I offered mine :smile:
Those ratings werent scientific but I gave the A+ because Ive never encountered a single issue from TNT->GF3 at least that I can remember.
I guess I would consider A+ as perfect as humans can get stuff reasonably. Thats entirely objective and theres many reasons why some would say NV arent even close to that but for my uses (occasional gaming) they are perfect. I dont care about a little fudging here or there in the drivers, esp when it pertains to some standard benchmark that lazy reviewers rely on instead of using customs to eliminate those problems in the first place..
I guess I dont agree with most of the bandwagon NV hate or the Quake/Quack issues.. I just dont care esp when I never notice and might get a bonus 20fps.

I wont really defend the FXs because I wouldnt recommend one to a friend but they are a good choice for someone who has bad experience with ATI. 5700 isnt bad. But I'm back with my 'wait for the games before upgrading' theory so I dont think I'll be buying a 9800 or FX again until the Doom3 release and NV40.

Matrox I dont know much about, I know their 2D is unparalled. I debated long and hard on getting their last performance card before the Parhelia.. the Matrox R420? No pot reference intended, I know theres alot of that up there in funny hat park ranger land(mounties/monties?) eh? :tongue:

On SIS, I actually have had good experience with their stuff. Only used the K7S5A.

----
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>

shaido7

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2003
I was referring to the brand of vdeo card like asus,msi,sapphire etc.I am an nvidia fan however right now ati is kicking nvidias ass and thats good cause these guys need to battle it out so we can get some decent equipment for our money. i know about the 5950 and the radeon 9800 xt and all that stuff.I am actually waiting for the next video card to come out next year to me that will be a more acceptable to me to spend another 500 dollars instead of an overclocked ati or nvidia card.really what i want to know is what is the best brand of video cards gigabyte,msi,etc.

In that case read the FAQ.

I prefer Asus and Gainward for nV products.