which card

jmycal

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
hello everyone. as i am building a system from scratch and these are my components so far:
ga-7dxr mobo
3 256k ddr pc2100 ram (i nt sure if will use all)
2 wd caviar 40 gig 7200 hd (may exchange for ibm)
1 gig amd 266 fsb
i like to play games such as myst, riven etc, but would like to add more like quake, unreal. given my setup what type of card would recommend, why or why not? your help appreciated

le roi est mort vive le roi

G

Well you have a bit of a choice at the moment with the geforces(1,2+3),Radeons and now the Kyro2.If money is no object then go for a geforce3 but if you're on a bit of a budget then a Radeon or the Kyro2 may suit you better. I have a radeon 32ddr with a 1Gig T/bird and it plays anything I want to.Also Ati are renowned for their DVD decoding so if this is required I would go for the radeon.

Fullspizz People

G

kyro 2 dvd playback is excellent no frames lost and good quality also...

ok kyro uses more cpu cycles (like 20-40 % in a duron 800) but that does not make it worse... (with windvd that can use the motion compensation of kyro 2 )

if you have a pentium 2 at 266 then it could be a problem. I think that even with that kind of cpu kyro 2 would be able to deliver a movie without skipping any frames...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
DVD playback is almost a non-issue with current cards (most do it very well). As far as price/performance goes, the LE is the best bang for the buck, once you do the registry hacks to make it perform like a retail 32DDR. Next higher is the Geforce GTS or Pro 32. Then the Radeon 64 DDR. Then the Geforce2 Ultra. The the Geforce 3. That scales the prices between $70 and $400. The cheapest one will likely do everything you need for a long time.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

jmycal

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
let me give some more clarification. i am looking for a top notch performance card, as i don't mind spending 2 to 3 hundred for a card. would you go with the radeon 64mb ddr or the geforce2 ultra or geforce 3

le roi est mort vive le roi

G

If that is the case go for the geforce 3.
Powervr,I wasn't having a dig at the Kyro II so you can get down off your soapbox.

Fullspizz People

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Go for the GF3 for best 3d Image Quality followed by the Radeon. 2d and DVD quality goes to ATI, there is more to DVD then just smooth playing, the Radeon is the only card that does Adaptive de-interlacing meaning a significant quality booster which isn't limited to DVD but any video benefits from this technology. It maybe true that DVD playback maybe not an issue with the faster cpu's but if you want to do more then one thing at once it will still comes into play. For example I can have a Metallica DVD playing forced on top of my QuakeIII game and really ROCK and ROLL with my Radeon is one example. This is just awesome, kinda weird but man is it a new way of playing head banging fragging :smile: . Oh boy I know I am going to get it now. Anyways Metallica seems to go good with fragging for some reason. Plus virus scanning and defragmenting isn't a problem as well as browsing the web with a music DVD playing in a window. Skipp the GF2 Ultra and go with the GF3, GF3 is way better not necessarily in FPS but plain out in Image Quality plus the latest technology. As for which brand has the best quality or the lemons I really don't know. I would think the boards from Elsa and Hercules would be the best in the quality department but not sure.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well to eat your cookie and have it too then a Radeon2. ATI claims it will supersede anything on the market when it comes out. :lol: