[SOLVED] Which case + Coolling system for Build

Aug 14, 2019
Hey all,
I would like to ask for your advice regarding choosing a case for my PC and cooling
For case, I can't decide which one will be more effective regarding cooling?
NZXT H700i or Corsair Obsidian Series 500D
Regarding cooling mater, I still can't decide between air and liquid cooling
for air cooler, I will go with Noctua NH-d15
for AIO system I plan to go with one of three options
NZXT Kraken x72
Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML360R

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My suggestion: why not both?
No mention of cpu model, but if the cpu in question is ANYTHING but the 9900k, or KF - whatever, use an air cooler.

For gpu, I'd get one of the hybrid models with the water block already on it. The gpu sees some of the largest drops in temperatures from liquid cooling, and with a waterblock, it's not dumping most of it's heat into the case, some of which also gets fed into cpu air coolers.
There's a sort of do-it-yourself alternative via the Kraken G12: https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-g12-white (you basically take the Kraken x72 and fit it to a gpu)

As for those 2 cases: remove the H700i and consider the regular H700(non i). The I model is a bloody rip off, charging $40 or more - depending on where you shop - for the preinstalled Smart device(which isn't worth the price premium).
Between that, I'd say whichever you like the looks of more.

Aug 14, 2019
for a processor, I have free options
i9-9900K - I will probably go with this one
i9-9900X - with future upgrade possibility
Ryzen 3900x
regarding MB I'm going with ASUS
For GPU
Asus Geforce RTX 2080 OC 8GB GDDR6
ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 ROG Strix OC 8GB GDDR6 - I will probably go with this one

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
for a processor, I have free options
i9-9900K - I will probably go with this one
i9-9900X - with future upgrade possibility
Ryzen 3900x
regarding MB I'm going with ASUS
For GPU
Asus Geforce RTX 2080 OC 8GB GDDR6
ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 ROG Strix OC 8GB GDDR6 - I will probably go with this one
9900X is Skylake-X Refresh. Completely different socket and platform(X299) from the 9900k(300-series), and while costing almost 2x as much for the cpu alone: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i9-9900X-Processor-Unlocked-Processors/dp/B07JDV1MMR

9900K - You're gonna want a 360mm or 280mm AIO for it, as even the D15 has trouble keeping that cpu in check.

3900x - Now, a D15 would be just fine for this cpu. I'd recommend this one out of your choices, and tell you to stay away from Intel for now. Reason being, the one advantage Intel does have over AMD has dwindled.
Ryzen 3000 matches, or is darn close to Intel's fastest in gaming performance - in productivity, they just toss Intel to the wayside... all while being a cheaper platform.

Asus mobo: brand loyalty? A good idea would be to check out some motherboard reviews. You may find these helpful:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOSFX2tHDcE

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7PkZwY9PWM

Three fan cooler over 2 fan cooler, all day, any day. Superior cooling, all while being quieter than the 2-fan model at the same level of cooling.

Aug 14, 2019
Regarding processors and MB for them

9900k MB: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO

3900x MB: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO or MSI MEG X570 ACE but I need to spend more time reviewing information about MB for new AMD

9900x - yet I didn't think about choosing MB for this mostly because it's only an option and overpriced regarding other processors

most problematic option for me is colling efficiency for working from 8 up to 12 hours a few times a week

edit 1
I forgot to thank you Phaaze88 it really helped me mostly because last time I built my personal PC was nearly 6 years ago

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
For cooling efficiency, nothing short of a 360mm AIO for both 9900K and 9900X, so any one of those 3 AIOs you were considering will work.
Any more cooling will require custom loop.

Not sure why the 9900X is an option, but it's outperformed by the other 2: 9900K beats it in gaming, and 3900x beats the 9900X in BOTH gaming and productivity.

Aug 14, 2019
9900X is only an option because of the MB capability of an upgrade to Xeon processors it's the only reason for being on the list
also I'm more orientated to 3900x because of the productivity difference gaming is an additional option for me because of lack of time fo it

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Solution