[SOLVED] Which case do I need?

Solution
Ok, here you would have a VERY high quality, very quiet case. One of the quietest cases on the market, and also one of the best looking. No, you don't get a bunch of bling and RGB, but you can always add lighting via LED RGB strips and in other areas if you want that. Performance should always be a bigger factor than RGB in my opinion.

Plus, you will have four matching, 140mm low noise fans. Two come preinstalled as intake, one in the back as exhaust and I've added an identical fan so they all match, to be added in the top rear position. This will give you mostly equal pressure airflow, which is optimal for cooling configurations being neither positive nor negative pressure but having some of the benefits of both.

Very good CPU cooler...
You have a CPU cooler that is probably not sufficient for that CPU, and if you are only using the case fans that came with the case, you probably need to add another exhaust fan to the top rear position. Getting a better case certainly isn't a bad idea, but even if you do you probably still need to add some fans because there are very few cases that actually come with the recommended number of case fan positions populated for high thermal condition gaming machines.

That CPU cooler is going to be loud no matter what case you have, because it has a small heatsink and a small fan, which has to run at very high RPM to try and keep up. What you NEED is a larger tower style cooler with a 140mm fan, and that might not be supported by the width/height of the case. If so, then you may need a different case as well. The Cryorig H7 is small enough for most microATX cases, but recently that cooler has become expensive and there are much better options available for less.

Cryorig is a good cooler brand, but the cooler you have is designed more for small form factor and mITX builds where that's all you can fit in there, and usually used for HTPC type configurations that do not use high core count CPUs as much nor as big of gaming cards.

Feb 26, 2019
You have a CPU cooler that is probably not sufficient for that CPU, and if you are only using the case fans that came with the case, you probably need to add another exhaust fan to the top rear position. Getting a better case certainly isn't a bad idea, but even if you do you probably still need to add some fans because there are very few cases that actually come with the recommended number of case fan positions populated for high thermal condition gaming machines.

That CPU cooler is going to be loud no matter what case you have, because it has a small heatsink and a small fan, which has to run at very high RPM to try and keep up. What you NEED is a larger tower style cooler with a 140mm fan, and that might not be supported by the width/height of the case. If so, then you may need a different case as well. The Cryorig H7 is small enough for most microATX cases, but recently that cooler has become expensive and there are much better options available for less.

Cryorig is a good cooler brand, but the cooler you have is designed more for small form factor and mITX builds where that's all you can fit in there, and usually used for HTPC type configurations that do not use high core count CPUs as much nor as big of gaming cards.
Okay thank you for responding, so what would you recommend buying case and cpu cooler wise I’m not opposed to replacing both. And how do I go about separating the cpu cooler from the cpu?

Ok, so I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, really, but you built the system yourself, and you don't know how to "separate the CPU and cooler"?

Removal should be exactly the opposite of installation. I'm not sure where there is confusion in that prospect?

And what country are you in, so I can recommend parts that are actually available to you?

Feb 26, 2019
No you’re okay lol I just used the thermal paste and didn’t know if that like glued it together or not. I just didn’t want to yank them apart if that’s not how it’s supposed to be done

And I live in the states.

Well, sometimes it FEELS like it glued them together, but if you unbolt the cooler it should come off easily. If it doesn't, a very slight twisting motion horizontal to the plane of contact at between the CPU heat spreader and bottom of the heat sink should break that bond. It's much like getting your boot stuck in the mud. When you try to pull it out, it won't want to let go. Same thing.

So, how much do you think you want to put towards a case and CPU cooler? I think I would also factor in some money for two additional case fans, just in case, no pun intended.

Feb 26, 2019
Ohh yeah I truly thought that essentially glued them together that makes more sense now. But I was thinking around spending under 200 just want to ensure that I don’t hinder the life of my components.

Ok, so you're going to need a new case if you want a decent cooler. The H7 will fit, but it's double the price that it used to be and just isn't worth it. Your current case only supports coolers up to 157mm tall, otherwise I'd just say keep it. So are you good with a new case, CPU cooler and if necessary, a fan or two? It will of course mean you have to disassemble and rebuild the whole system, or would you prefer to try and find a CPU cooler that will fit, offer at least better performance than you have now, save some money and not have to redo the whole system?

Ok, here you would have a VERY high quality, very quiet case. One of the quietest cases on the market, and also one of the best looking. No, you don't get a bunch of bling and RGB, but you can always add lighting via LED RGB strips and in other areas if you want that. Performance should always be a bigger factor than RGB in my opinion.

Plus, you will have four matching, 140mm low noise fans. Two come preinstalled as intake, one in the back as exhaust and I've added an identical fan so they all match, to be added in the top rear position. This will give you mostly equal pressure airflow, which is optimal for cooling configurations being neither positive nor negative pressure but having some of the benefits of both.

Very good CPU cooler for the price. Probably no other cooler that performs as well at this price range that I am aware of. Also, it's rather attractive, and will easily fit in that case.

This case also has a fan controller hub that works with both 3 pin and 4 pin fans, and requires only a single PWM fan header from your motherboard. You will want to be sure to connect the fan hub to one of the PWM chassis fan headers on the motherboard and connect the fans to the fan hub. It will come with instructions on connections or we can help you if you are not sure when the time comes.

These are not incredibly high end fans, but they are decent, and are certainly better than what came with that CM case and likely much quieter as well, not only because they are larger and can provide more airflow at a lower RPM, but also due to the design. Adding the extra fan helps as well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Thermalright - Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.90 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Black TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - X2 GP-14 (White) 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $184.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-27 16:56 EST-0500

Reactions: timmy_wilkerson1
Solution
Feb 26, 2019
Thank you so much you've been incredibly helpful! And yes I'm not worried about RGB anymore it is quite pointless in my personal opinion haha. But thank you again! I'll let you know how it goes :)

Feb 26, 2019
Thank you so much you've been incredibly helpful! And yes I'm not worried about RGB anymore it is quite pointless in my personal opinion haha. But thank you again! I'll let you know how it goes :)
Hey man, just wondering are there smaller looking fans for intel CPU’s or is that only for AMD. My buddy has a AMD and his fan looks way different. It’s facing straight out from his cpu I’m not sure if that makes sense.

There are smaller and larger CPU coolers for both AMD and Intel. Smaller heatsinks and fans obviously don't offer the same level of cooling performance or don't offer it without running fast and loud. Larger heatsinks and fans are able to offer the same or better cooling while running at much lower speeds, which results in much quieter operation.

I think you are talking about what we call a "top down" cooler which is how most stock coolers are designed. The fan blows directly downwards towards the CPU. These are similar to what you had already with the Cryorig C7 which is really just a stock cooler TYPE of design, with a somewhat larger heatsink and fan, but the orientation is the same. They don't perform well and should only be used for stock configurations or small enclosures. They tend to be loud, because those smaller fans have to spin at much higher RPMs to provide enough cooling for the thermal design power of high TDP processors. For lower TDP processors with fewer cores or low performance designs, a stock cooler is fine as are top down aftermarket coolers. For higher TDP processors or models with many cores, you want a tower cooler if your case can accomodate it.

You'll currently have four, two intake and two exhaust right? With what I posted, that should give you four fans exactly the same. Two for intake, two for exhaust and those should be plenty for 90% of configurations, even for high end overclocking. At some point down the road you MIGHT decide you want to go with higher end fans, like the Noctua NF-A14 PWM or NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap fans, which likely move more air and are certainly quieter, but see how you like those for now. If you wanted, instead of getting another fan just like the ones that come in the case, you could opt to go with a Noctua fan now, that way if you decide to do that later you only have to buy three of them instead of four after having already bought a Fractal design fan.

They are more expensive, at about 25 bucks a pop, but they are worth it. ALL I will run in my machines are Noctua fans.

Yes, it should be fine. For users who've never used an high end aftermarket cooler, they tend to seem ginormous especially if you're used to using little bitty stock coolers. It will be fine, however, I would not try moving the system to another location like the neighbors house, or across town or across the country, without removing the heatsink prior to the trip. That is standard for any tower cooler if you plan to move it further than just from room to room.