[SOLVED] Which Case Fans for my be quiet! Pure base 500 ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 21, 2020
Hey there everyone,

So I recently built my first rig by myself and these are the specs of it:

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core (3.6GHz-4.4GHz) 36MB AM4 (includes stock Wraith Prism stock CPU cooler)

GPU: MSI GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO 8G

PSU: BitFenix Whisper M 550W 80+ Gold

RAM: G.Skill Kit 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 3600MHz Ripjaws V Red CL19

SSD: Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe 500GB SSD M.2 PCI Express 3.0

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm 256MB SATA III

Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 (with tinted side window)

Now the case comes with 2 be quiet! Pure Wings 2 case fans. Currently they are configured in the following way: 1 x attached to extract at the rear and one in the front for intake (mounted in the middle, as it arrived from the delivery)

Here are the questions and things that I am not sure about:

1.) I have heard that this case as got poor airflow due to the design of the front. Is this true?

2.) To improve airflow I wanted to move the pure wings 2 from the front to the top and change it to exhaust fan. Instead I would like to buy 2 new intake case fans. They should be quiet and have decent airflow and pressure.

3.) What CFM and air pressure values are ideal? I mean the higher the better but the louder the fan gets. So how much CFM and air pressure should fans have at minimum? I guess case design also plays a factor here.

4.) I was leaning more towards more intake than exhaust CFM and pressure. Is this good for this case?

5.) I've heard that the difference between the different fans should not be too high. While the CFM difference could be around 40 CFM (depending which intake fans I'd pick), the air pressure is a big difference 0.7 mmH20 for the pure wings compared to other fans that I was looking at of 1,2. Is that difference still ok?

6.) Which case fans would you recommend for this case? I would like to keep the two pure wings 2 fans and have them working as exhaust fans (one on top and one at the rear), with 2 x 140mm fans in the front as intake fans.

Candidates that I considered so far were mainly:

6.1) be quiet! Silent Wings 3
6.2) Noctua NF-P14S Redux PWM 1500rpm 140mm

What has me concerned about the Noctua fans are two things: noise (which is a lot higher than the current pure wings) and the grey colour (which is something I could live with if need be). The silent wings 3 are much more expensive and have lower stats (CFM and air pressure). So two of them would create more pressure than the two pure wings but would have a lower CFM. this would cause negative pressure correct?

7.) I am planning to upgrade my CPU cooler someday in the future to either a be quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 or just the Dark Rock. But I will post about that in a separate thread. My question is: Does the direction and speed of the CPU cooler fan affect the CFM and air pressure in the case? I would believe that it does. If that is the case, the current stock cooler would work against trying to get better airflow right?

8.) What about 3 GPU fans? since they are pulling air from the bottom of the case they shouldnt effect the airflow too much especially if there is an exhaust fan at the top right?

9.) Do all Y splitters work with all fans irrespective of brand? (bearing in mind 3 or 4 pin fans ofc) Because I only have 2 SYS fan headers on the motherboard but 4 fans ergo I'd need two Y Splitters as well. Any recommendations in that regard?

My apologies for the super long post but I would like to buy the right stuff from the get go for the fans. At least to improve the Airflow etc in the case to cool the components. I do beliebe the choice of case was not the best but at the time of buying I was not as well informed as I am now in terms of how important the case selection is for such high performance parts.

I'd appreciate any feedback that you might have and sorry for the wall of text!

Solution
I have a ton of Noctua splitters and they're amongst the best quality you can find, with nice rubber wire coating and very well made.

So gangability is what you explained in your post? The thing is I don't have a hub. Could I join 2 arctic p14 pwm pst with eachother and then add a third and use the included splitter to join the other two with the single fan? Just asking out of curiosity. I hope I explained it sufficiently.
Basically, with regular DC regulation of a fan, your mother board can usually support 2-3 Fans per 3/4-pin headers, where as PWM fans, can be powered by something like this which draws power from your PSU directly, but receives PWM signal via your motherboard. PWM fans can usually be chained up to ten...
May 21, 2020
Thanks for the details I have the same two splitters that I can order although paying for the AK-CBFA04-15 seems quite expensive, considering that is only one splitter and costs 7,49 euros. I could get the pack of 3 y splitters from noctua chromax for 9,90. and those are PWM as well.

https://www.globaldata.pt/cabo-splitter-em-y-para-2-x-ventoinhas-na-syc1-chromaxblack-na-syc1black

Quick question: The Pure wings 2 that came with the case are 3 or 4 pin fans? According to my research it seems like they are 4 pin fans so I can't really use the second splitter that you mentioned.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Quick question: The Pure wings 2 that came with the case are 3 or 4 pin fans? According to my research it seems like they are 4 pin fans so I can't really use the second splitter that you mentioned.
I'd need to see the serial number, or just yank the cable and see how many pins it has.

Make sure it ends on Y4P for PWM version.

Man my Portuguese is rusty.(by rusty, I mean non-existent)

Try this site: www.kuantokusta.pt/

AK-CBFA04-15

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'll go out of my way to get pwm. Even if it means sacrificing an otherwise decent fan. DC fans are just too limited in scope. They only operate at @ 40-100% (sometimes just 60-100%) whereas pwm can almost always drop to @ 20% duty cycle. There's also gangability. You can generally get upto 10 fans on a single pwm signal, so splitter to your hearts content with a Sata power or hub. DC fans are ranged from 2-3 at a safe count on a single header as they do not work correctly on a powered splitter.

Just too limited.

May 21, 2020
Ok thanks for all the replies.

Did you guys have a look at the noctua splitters and what did you think of them?
What is nice is that they come in a pack of 3 and cost only 3 euros more (compared to the akasa one, where you only get one splitter)

Man my Portuguese is rusty.(by rusty, I mean non-existent)

Try this site: www.kuantokusta.pt/

My apologies for the portuguese website it was mainly to show the product and the price. I hope that is ok :)

I tried the link and they list the same noctua splitters from the link that I posted.

There's also gangability. You can generally get upto 10 fans on a single pwm signal, so splitter to your hearts content with a Sata power or hub. DC fans are ranged from 2-3 at a safe count on a single header as they do not work correctly on a powered splitter.

So gangability is what you explained in your post? The thing is I don't have a hub. Could I join 2 arctic p14 pwm pst with eachother and then add a third and use the included splitter to join the other two with the single fan? Just asking out of curiosity. I hope I explained it sufficiently.

I'd need to see the serial number, or just yank the cable and see how many pins it has.

Make sure it ends on Y4P for PWM version.

Ok I will check and get back to you on that.

No, but I'm glad you're curious: Mosfet/transistor of the VRM is hidden by the heatsink. They look like little chiplets and depending on type/load/configuration can get very hot.
The square box you're seeing? That's called a choke.
The cylindrical shapes are capacitors, for even steady volt/current.
In conjunctions with a controller chip, that entity is called a VRM.

Ahh thanks for explaining that. Now I learned something new :). Does the VRM get very hot given my components/configuration of my PC (in your opinion?)

Where can I find out where the different sensors from the motherboard are located? Because according to HIW Monitor I have 6 sensors on the motherboard. I tried looking in the manual of the motherboard but there was no mention of the sensors / which one counts for which part of the motherboard. Just so I can sort which sensor is for which area of the motherboard (TMPIN0 - TMPIN5).

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
I have a ton of Noctua splitters and they're amongst the best quality you can find, with nice rubber wire coating and very well made.

Basically, with regular DC regulation of a fan, your mother board can usually support 2-3 Fans per 3/4-pin headers, where as PWM fans, can be powered by something like this which draws power from your PSU directly, but receives PWM signal via your motherboard. PWM fans can usually be chained up to ten depending on the signal strength, 10 is stretching it, but it is possible.

Ok I will check and get back to you on that.
I mean on the splitter I linked you, you found the 3-pin(Y3P) instead of the 4-pin(Y4P).

Where can I find out where the different sensors from the motherboard are located? Because according to HIW Monitor I have 6 sensors on the motherboard

Please use HWinfo64 instead, you'll see the MB's VRM temperature under "Motherboard name" & VR Loop XXX.

Last edited:
Solution
May 21, 2020

Basically, with regular DC regulation of a fan, your mother board can usually support 2-3 Fans per 3/4-pin headers, where as PWM fans, can be powered by something like this which draws power from your PSU directly, but receives PWM signal via your motherboard. PWM fans can usually be chained up to ten depending on the signal strength, 10 is stretching it, but it is possible.

I mean on the splitter I linked you, you found the 3-pin(Y3P) instead of the 4-pin(Y4P).

Please use HWinfo64 instead, you'll see the MB's VRM temperature under "Motherboard name" & VR Loop XXX.

OK I will use HWinfo64 instead. Is it also more accurate than HIW Monitor?

I will check but I am pretty sure they are 4 pin fans, as when I play around with the fan curves they instantly react. Is this a good indicator to say they are 4 pin fans as 3 pin fans only go full power or not at all correct?

Ok so gangability is not related to my query / not needed as I wanted to either get 2 front intake fans and have 2 exhaust fans (as we've talked about previously at length ;)) right?

I most likely will get the noctua splitters depending on availability.

Lastly, I would like to order a CPU cooler at the same time just so that I have one order for all the stuff.

May I post it here or should I rather create a separate thread for that?

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Over all HWInfo64 just has a lot more Data and valuable information, it is also more accurate.

3-Pin fans are DC regulated, which means that instead of a PWM signal, you are regulating voltage, say 3-5-7-9-12Volts for adjusting speed.

Gangability is just another word, the same as daisy chaining without relying on your motherboard for power.

Create a new thread, that way you may get more input from others and if not, just post here again, and we'll see it. :p

May 21, 2020
Ok I created it a while back. I'd appreciate your input and of the others that have posted here as well :)

May 21, 2020
Ok so I've pretty much got my case fan question resolved. I will post an update here once I have them installed etc. :) Thanks for all the replies and advice thus far!

edit: due to the whole global pandemic it may take a bit for me to get back to here to give an update on the story.

Last edited: