Which case to keep Phenom II x4 955 within reasonable temperature.

ryanek011

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Hi all,

I have been having problem to cool my system since I bought this processor. Firstly I ought better heatsink (Hyper 212 EVO) and two additional cooler master case fans(front and back)which helped,but stil didn't solve the problem. I run system in room temperature of 18C never more.In this temperature the processor temperature is around 45C ,but once I start playing games for instance Borderlands 2 temperature immediately rises to 68-72C! Another think is that the 212 EVO cooler is quite high and it prevents me from closing the case properly to keep air flow inside. So now I am trying to find suitable case that would keep the AMD beast cool so I can use it.

Thank you in advance for any tips and ideas.
Ryan

You must have the cooler installed incorrectly because even in a sealed case it should be perfectly fine with a cooler master hyper 212 evo. DId you correctly apply thermal paste?

Pretty much nay cheap-o case will be perfectly fine. I had a phenom 2 x4 965be overclocked to 4.0ghz with a coolermaster hyper 212 evo without any problems.

ryanek011

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Yes I obviously prepared for the surgery :) Bought Akasa CPU and heatsink cleaner and applied Arctic silver 5 thermal paste. But as I read your experience with your Phenom there must be something wrong here. Even though I've seen some users complaining about hihg temperature of this processor. Anyway thanks for you response.

If you re at stock clocks, you have something wrong for sure. Not overclocked, mine wouldn't go past 45c.

I assume you correctly used the 'dot method' for applying the paste and DID NOT spread it around. Also, your CPU fan on the cooler is connected to the CPU fan header, right?

ryanek011

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
You're right the processor is not overclocked. I also tried to avoid applying too much paste on the processor. And yes the fan is connected to correct slot running at 2150 rpm with temperature 55C.

55c is the idle temp or the max temp? You may not have applied enough paste. You need to apply about a pea sized blob, NOT smear it or mess with it at all, and then just stick the heatsink right on top and fasten it down without moving it much.

ryanek011

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
It's the current temperature as I am in the middle of doing something,idle temp is somewhere around 42C. I applied about a rice size amount as people advised on internet. Then immediately put the heatsink on it and fastened the holding bracket. I was bit confused about how much to fasten the screws as there is no guide anywhere. The bracket legs are very slightly bent sowards the processor so I thing it doesn't need to be fastened anymore. But I agree with you even the idle temperature is too high so logically there is problem between the mainboard and the heatsink. Hopefully it's not faulty processor. Maybe I should take it all apart and try to put it together again.

ryanek011

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
That's exactly the same directions I used for installing the heatsink. Unfortunately it doesn't say how much should the screws tightened which is in my opinion very important thing. I'll try to do it all again and tighten the bracket a bit more. Thank you for sharing your tips with me.

ryanek011

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
OK. So,I dismantled everything and at the first moment i took the heatsink of the processor It was clearly obvious that there is very little amount of thermal paste applied on the processor cap. Then regular procedure followed with bigger amount of the paste. Now as it stands under same load the temperature is around 46C compare to yesterdays 55 or more. So the problem seems to be easily solved. Thank you one more time for your tips and time spent on this one with me tiny (useful) voices. ;-)