bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
K, so I'm currently using an Antec Nine Hundred case, great case, but a few complaints, namely there are no dust filters, there's not a whole lot of working space inside the case, and cable management is tricky since the space behind the motherboard tray is very narrow. So I'm looking to upgrade to something that is roomy, allows for decent cable management, ideally has dust filters, and also has good airflow as my case is not liquid cooled but I'd also liek to have the option. Right now I'm looking at the Silverstone Raven and the Cooler Master Storm Sniper and I'm looking for comments, suggestions, and any head to head comparisons you might know about. Thanks!

Hehe. Unfair, really - two cases competing against one :)

The Raven is 30"x30"x16", the Sniper 22"x22"x10". OK, 1.5 to 1. Does anything need to be that big?

If space didn't matter, the Raven would look intriguing I guess. But the Sniper checks an awful lot of boxes. Its littler brother, the Scout, runs a bit warmer according to one review I saw, but looks pretty good too.

I have a 900. It's in my basement. Empty. My first build case, bought it based on reviews. Frankly, I found nothing to deserve high ratings. Screws, noise, room, air flow, filters, cable management, appearance . . . nothing.

Enjoy either case.

Edit: Actually, the Raven is 3 times the volume of the Sniper. That's big lol.

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
air filters need cleaning 2. filters or no filters, taking care of your rig is a must.
CM haf 932 is nice, LianLi and some Thermaltake.

I was looking for a tower case (lots of space) and tool less design (easy n practical). Most tower cases offer good cable management.

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
@ jimishtar: I know filters need cleaning, but it's still better than getting loads of dust build-up (like my 900 gets). Also, I should mention another primary complaint of the 900 is the hard drive bays, they just require far to much labor to remove or add hard drives.

EDIT:
@kraynor: I did look at the 1200, mostly because even with my complaints about the 900 it's still a good case, it's just ~4 years old. But I failed to mention the hard drive bays which require the removal of no less than 8 thumb screws and both side panels in order to access them and the 1200 shares the same hard drive bay design.

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009

like I said, tool less design. no screws, just push a button, pop-up, place drive, pop back in. done. check out witch cases have this implemented. I have this on my case CM haf and its great.

My point with the filters was that it almost takes the same amount of labor to clean filters as to airblow the case for dust.

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009

Yeah, I did take note of the HAF recommendation and I'm looking at it now, but the comment about the filters being as hard to clean as the case I HAVE to disagree with. All you have to do is pop out the filters and blow them off, but if you really want to get the dust out of your system you have to remove the components and blow them out individually or else the dust will just get pushed inside the crevices of other parts, not to mention getting dust out of the thin blades of a cpu cooler is pain in the ASS.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
How often do you plan to change hard drives?

I just took out all the thumbscrews in the hard drive cages so that I only have to take off one side and push them out about an inch to remove the air filters, quick and easy, and haven't had any issues with noise or vibrations or whatever. If I was moving the case I'd put them back in, of course, but they're rather snug all the same.

If you're constantly changing hard drives, then get an external cage...

This is the part I don't get about these particular Antec cases - why should one put up with hard drive cages like that?

Sure, cases are all about trade-offs and this one runs cool. But compared to other cases, it seems like a huge, 40-lb, noisy wind machine. But at least this one will hold 12 devices to block some of those fans :)

To each his own, for sure.

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
K, so today I had a chance to take a look at the cases in person and I ruled out the Raven simply because it's price $100 more than the HAF 932 and the Storm Sniper and while the case does feel very sturdy, from what I've read and seen I just don't see the benefit, so it's now down to the HAF 932 and the Storm Sniper.

TomiTom

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I am really in the same road as you.. I collected all the pieces to build a new PC, but I am still thinking which case I should pick.

I like some of the Thermaltake designs and most of them have filters, and no-screws needed, all are hand-free installation. Take a look at this 3 types :
Thermaltake Armor+ Mx
Thermaltake Xaser Armor
Thermaltake Xaser Shark

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009

i think the thermaltake's are one of the most expensive (~200 euro). u can find a pretty awesome case for half that price.

TomiTom

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009

Not true..

Thermaltake Xaser Shark : 113 euro http://www.ciao.de/Thermaltake_Xaser_Shark_VA7000SWA_Full_Tower__2323734

Thermaltake Armor+ Mx : 108 euro http://www.ditech.at/artikel/GMTT52/Gehaeuse_Midi_THERMALTAKE_ArmorPlus_MX_schwarz_Window.html?from=geizhals

Thermaltake Xaser Armor : 143 euro http://www.dooyoo.de/systemgehaeuse/thermaltake-xaser-armor-va8000bws/

The most expensive cases are Lian's cases, but Thermaltake is one of the companies that develope good designs and you find everything you seek, like filters, everything inside don't need screw drivers, and enough space.
Both "Xaser Shark" and "Xaser Armor" are big towers, meaning you have more than enough space to install your hardware.

And I found a good case too but from another company :

NZXT Zero 2 , it is big tower, there are filters, blue lights on the front, there are 4 installed very quiet fans and you can add 2 more. Look if it meets your needs.

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
wow :S that are low prices. interesting... I am in Slovenia, maybe Thermaltake don't have a dealer here, cause their good tower cases are around 200 euro.

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah, those are the prices I've found...actually on NewEgg they're even lower, but maybe that's cuz I'm in the US. However, after looking at them, the NZXT Zero 2, while it does seem like a solid case, is just too bland and lacks the big fans that the CM cases have. Same goes for the Thermaltakes. While the design might be good, they use smaller fans but more of them to generate the same amount of airflow but with more noise.

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
No, it doesn't, but it seems like it would have better airflow, and it also has more interior space...that's why I'm torn...they're also the EXACT same price on NewEgg...

TomiTom

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
To be honest, the only plus goes to Haf932 is the big fans, other than that I prefer Armor+ for the design, the easy drives and MoBo installation, it includes one big fan (230mm) on the side but other fans are 140mm .. It is expensiver than HAF932 but the look and everything (except the big fans) win over 932 .
Look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYT3eIFETqY

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
looks are all about individual taste. someone likes the HAF, others think its ugly. anyway, he has his options, its up to bikeracer's personal taste and opinion know

TomiTom

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009

Ofcourse each one has his own taste about the look of the case, that's why there is a forum to share our opinions, I didn't mean to force him to replace his taste with mine. I am still looking for a good case, I don't have any of all this cases mentioned in this thread.
Besides, I didn't mean only the "Look" but the ability of installing all your hardware including the motherboard, which I see that HAF lacks or let's say it takes back seat behind Armor+ in that term.

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009

For anyone who stumbles across this thread let me tell you this: I went with the CM Storm Sniper and a tool less case is AWESOME...I can quite honestly say that I don't ever plan on going back to screws...

AMW1011

Distinguished

Build a few systems in the case my friend, you'll get tired of broken tool-less clamps. Luckily, CM will replace them for you no problem. Glad you like your case though, its one of my favorite Cooler Master cases. I've used 2 of them already. :D