Which cheap buy would be best/most upgradeable?

ZephyrLad

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014

TheDankMemer

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
They are both terrible regarding upgradability, try to get an Intel LGA 1150 or 1151 socket platform. You can upgrade to an i5 or i7 later on, whereas the AMD platform is limited to the FX 8350 on the AM3+ and X4 860k on the FM2+ platform. The AMD platform is pronounced dead... At least until the new AM4 platform comes out next year

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

There are a couple of new FM2+ chips announced, although only minor enhancements over the 860K, but it's a moot point

Neither of those build are remotely 'good'. They both come with only the integrated graphics in the AMD APUs (depending on the games you;re looking at, that might be fine for you).

They both read (and likely are) pieced together from leftover/unused parts. For example, the A4 6300 is a 25quid chip these days. Neither builds come with an OS.

Not sure how old are, but would your parents be willing to let you put together a build yourself? If you've got a budget of 250-300, you're not going to be building the best rig ever, but you could build something much more manageable that you can upgrade over time. You could likely get an i3 (or a pentium G3258 if budget pushed you down a bit) that you could progress to an i5 or i7 over time with. You could also get a GPU that would beat out either of the integrated GPUs in the AMD chips.

I've nothing against AMD, you could even get a budget build with the 860k and a GPU which might get you some better performance in your pricepoint (depending on what you do), but, as TheDankMemer already covered off, the upgrade path is pretty much a dead end.

TheDankMemer

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015

The OP should be well able to learn how to build a PC, I am actually 13 years old, and I have my PC built, building it was simple, it's like an advanced version of Legos

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply age has any correlation to the ability to build/learn how to build a PC, my question was more "will their parents trust/allow them" to build one.

TheDankMemer

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015

I know you aren't implying anything, but I am implying is that building a PC is simple.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

You didn't imply anything, you pretty much stated that :lang:

Building a PC is relatively simple, yes, I agree. Not everybody's parents are going to trust them with say 300quid at 12-13 to build a computer though. Mine certainly wouldn't have when I was that age.