Which combo should I buy?

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Hello together I'm goint to build a new system soon.

Now I've found two good deals:

Either I take the Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD 790X, AM3 + Corsair CMPSU-650TX, 650W, SLI for 274 Swiss franks (similar to dollar)from a shop I trust where I can bring in broken hardware personally

or GigaByte GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 770 ATX + Antec Earthwatts 650Watt ATX2.2 APFC for 228 Swiss franks.from a only online shop where i have to send hardware in if I want to make use of my warranty

The other components: Cm 690 Phenom II 720 (maybe trying to unlock but not too enthusiastic about it) 4 gigs of ddr3-1333 corsair ram and a His 4890.(+xigmatec Hdt-s1283)

I do not plan for Crossfire but who knows what the future might bring? I want to overclock the system.

Which of the two combos would you choose? why?

I could also buy the cheaper mobo for 120 sfr. + the corsair for 120 (so together 240)

I would go for the first, that motherboard is superior, the corsair PSU is stronger than the earthwatts by a good bit, and you can trade broken parts in person, its a pretty good deal. Plus you dont have to wait for shipping.

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Yeah you're right. I just bought the corsair psu.

The only thing i'm not sure about now is wether the GA-MA790XT-UD4P is worth a 35 Franks (imagine it were dollars ;) additional cost over the GA-MA770T-UD3P.

Thanks a lot for your answer hunter.

The conversion rate is pretty even right now so its easier to make a quick comparison. Here the cheaper board is $80 and the more expensive one is $130, so thats a $50 price difference over here so the 35 frank difference is a lot better than we get for a second PCI-E slot so you can do crossfire and the better south bridge.

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
hmmm but isn't x8 crossfire somehow crappy? If I'm ever going to do crossfire it will be in the future (dx11 or later) and will the 8x8x Crossfire not bottleneck the whole thing?

I see your point though a 35 frank difference is relatively small^^ that's because the shop I prefere is by far the cheapest but unfortunately doesn't sell the cheaper motherboard...

I tend to buy the Ud4P motherboard now, does anyone have another opinion?

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
I personally would go with the GA-MA790XT-UD4P. I would be thinking more along the lines of "down the road" as apposed to "at the moment". Yeah, for right now you're just going to be OCing, but I think it would be smarter to get a board that's capable of xfire, for when you might want to do it.

Also, I would think about getting a bigger PSU for that reason too. I've got an OCZ 850W that works wonders and it was only $100 brand new.

Hope this helps at all.

-Charles

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Yes this helps I will get the more expensive motherboard... but I wont get a bigger psu because: I have already orderer the Psu AND a 750 Watt would cost me a 36 Frank upgrade which is a lot for only 100 Watt......

I said that Franks are similar to Dollar but actually their a little bit weaker and the market here is also different.... I can't finde any G-skill/ Ocz memory for example ^^ and Psu are also kind of more expensive here then in America. But there are also very nice offers like the 4890 I've just bought for only 209 franks (even less dollars^^)

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Yeah with my PSU I actually caught a deal on it. I bought it off eBay from a store and they sent me the PSU in a few days, but it was a 700w and not an 850w like I had ordered. I called and talked to them and offered for them to send me the 850w with shipping stamps or whatever and I'll send back the other. They told me to just keep it and they will also give me the 850w.

So I actually ended up getting a 700w and an 850w for $100. Lol.

-Charles

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
WoW that's a pretty awsome deal you got there:)

I have ordered the compenents so the thread can be closed. thank you for you help

calmstateofmind

Distinguished

The 850W is an OCZ. As is the 700w. And they said that it would be too much trouble to repackage it (I didn't realize it was 700w 'till after I opened it), ship it and do whatever else.

And both PSU's are really nice. The 850w is $200 and the 700w is $150, but I had a major discount from eBay with their coupon thing which bumped it down to $100.

Here's the PSU I got for free.

And no, it doesn't float in the water.

-Charles

Its a no-brainer go with the UD4P as it has an SB750 opposed to the UD3P that only hs an SB710. On top of that the 650TX is more powerful but less efficient than the EA650. So if you are looking for game go with the first combo, if not you should be fine with the second combo.

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008

OK good info didn't know that the Earthwatts is more efficient, I always thought that the Corsair is superior (in everything).

I dont really understand what you mean by saying if you are looking for game go with.... does this mean if I'm a gamer I should buy the first combo or is it just an English expression I don't understand (No-brainer was already hard to understand)

Thank you for your anwswers... I've already ordered the first combo but its still intresting to discuss.

Yes Sir, just my was of saying that as far as gaming is concerned, the first combo is more suitable. Hope this helps... And btw... good choice on that motherboard... your going to love that one.....