Question Which component I should upgrade first

Sep 15, 2019
My gaming pc is getting older and I think I should upgrade it but I don't know what to get first, sadly I can only upgrade it a part at a time. This are the current specs:

Mobo: Asus Prime B350 M-E
CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x at 3.8 ghz with a Cooler Master G100M Cooler (The UFO one)
GPU: GTX 970 4GB Strix (One fan is busted and makes a lot of noise)
RAM: 1x8gb Adata XPG Flame at 2666 mhz
Storage: 1 ssd Kingston 120 GB and 1TB on a WD Blue.
PSU: EVGA 550w 80+ bronze

I'm ok with the storage and psu at the moment and I'm thinking to upgrade them last. My other concern is that the mobo doesnt have a lot of space and makes the cooler and the gpu touch each other and I don't like that, so I wanna get a atx instead another micro atx.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If it's a generic EVGA 80+ then i would definitely upgrade this before say upgrading to a new GPU. It's poor quality, and depending on how long you've had it would increase the priority.

What is your budget and what is it currently holding you back in your applications?
What is your monitor resolution and refresh rate?

Sep 15, 2019
If it's a generic EVGA 80+ then i would definitely upgrade this before say upgrading to a new GPU. It's poor quality, and depending on how long you've had it would increase the priority.

What is your budget and what is it currently holding you back in your applications?
What is your monitor resolution and refresh rate?

I dont know if its a generic evga psu, I purchase it 4 months ago.

My budget right now is 100 bucks but I got my first job so It will increase over time. My monitor resolution is 1080p and the refresh rate is 60 hz. the main problem I have is that the rig struggles with newer games and older games too at higher settings: Stuttering and chopped frame rate on games that I should be able to play smooth based on the specs.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well at 1080p 60Hz, a big GPU upgrade may not be necessary.
I'd be tempted to run HWInfo and see what components are currently limiting the games you play as different games will have different strain on various components.

If you're mostly playing CPU heavy games, then that for example would be the first port of call.

I dont know if its a generic evga psu, I purchase it 4 months ago.
Understood, shame is it's still poor quality, so it's something to bear in mind. Poor quality PSUs can cause instability and potential risk to other components, and unfortunately EVGA make a ton of trash. The last thing to go cheap on is the PSU. So just something to bear in mind.