[SOLVED] Which component should I upgrade?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

60frames

Great
Jun 4, 2019
My current setup is this-
MOTHERBOARD-AB350M GAMING 3
GPU-RX 460
CPU-Ryzen 3 1200
PSU-CX 450
RAM-16GB (Unmatched Corsair memory sticks)
Here are the games I will be playing- Fallout 4, Crysis 3, Wolfenstein 2 and the old blood at ultra @ 30fps.
Before you say that I should upgrade the GPU I want to tell you that I am having compatibility issues with my configuration. For some reason I get PCIe error 0x15 on this build. I get crash dump errors for Wolfenstein 2 really frequently. Also I get really unstable fps with this configuration. I mean that I get really bad frame times. So here is the question-
Should I upgrade my RAM or my motherboard to resolve these compatibility issues? After these issues are solved then I will think about upgrading the GPU. Note that I have already tried clean installing GPU drivers and my BIOS and windows. My chipset drivers are also up to date. I cannot upgrade everything at once. So according to you which component should I upgrade?
EDIT: I forgot to tell I tried single stick RAM but I still get bad frametimes with high fps.

Last edited:
Solution
30fps is playable . Especially in slow paced games. It is a nice console like experience. What's wrong?

Nothings wrong at all. I was defending your decision on not minding what most would consider low FPS for the sake of higher in-game settings. It's just that in this day & age, more & more people judge a games minimum playability by whether or not it's able to hit 60+fps. (not that anyone here stated 60fps, but for the sake of argument) Up until a year ago, my gaming rig was the secondary system in my sig below, circa 2008, so I'm well versed in sacrificing FPS for the sake of visuals & vice versa. :)

I would definitely take care of your RAM for starters though. Mixing & Matching is never a good thing.