Which Components are Damaged?

TheG0at

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hi all, So the hose on my Corsair water cooler popped off while I was at work and game my pc a nice coolant spray down, I found this out when I got home and my system was running but there was no display. Corsair has been awesome so far and are letting me file a damage claim but they need me to send in the damaged components only problem is I dont know which ones are damaged.

My original thought is that it was the cpu as the system was running but with a damaged cooler but then I kept thinking that the pc would just shut down if the cpu got too hot. I also noticed that the mother board with or without the ram is not beeping when powered on, all the fans and leds come on but no beeps.

The damage claim form wants me the describe the trouble shooting and testing I have done to identify or correct the problem/damage. If you guys have any ideas on how I can make sure I'm sending in the rights parts please let me know as it takes up to 8 weeks for me to get reimbursed for anything.

Thanks

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Basically, anything that got 'wet', is likely damaged. Especially if it was still receiving power for some time afterwards.

The CPU, of all things, is likely actually ok. If it was exceeding safe operating temperatures, it would've forced a shutdown - that fact it was still running is a pretty good sign the CPU itself is ok (although, not a guarantee).

Ultimately though, without testing each component in other systems (after letting them dry, of course), it's impossible to say for sure.

yeti_yeti

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017

If the cpu is dead, the pc wont show any signs of life. Also fans and LEDs are usually connected to the motherboard and would not be working if it was damaged. My guess is that (unfortunately) your gpu got damaged and quite possibly your power supply.

TheG0at

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Well I plugged my monitor into my onboard video to see if the video card was the problem but it was still a no go. also my gpu was one of the parts that didnt actually have any water marks from the coolant on it and because the gpu is so massive it pretty much completely covers the psu. Most of the water marks from the coolant were around the cpu/ram area and tons of spray hit the empty drive bays of the case.

TheG0at

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Dont roast me because of the dust I live in the desert and it's a never ending battle lol

eb8oif.jpg

2en3q06.jpg

335grk6.jpg

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Looking at the basic trajectory of where the tube would've got - it would've popped out of the block, swung to the right & then down.

I'd expect water damage to the motherboard/DIMM slots, potentially the RAM and *possibly* the PSU via the 24pin connector.

GPU might've escaped unscathed, and I still expect the CPU to be fine.

TheG0at

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Thanks for the help I guess I'll ask them if I should just send in any parts that I think might be damaged. I just want to make sure I do everything right as I really dont have the money to replace that much money in components

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yeah, I'd go that route. It's a little unreasonable to expect you to source alternate components to test everything.

It'll depend on the specific terms of their warranty BUT, the onus should be on Corsair to prove their product didn't damage anything..... Opposed to on you to prove it did.