Question Which components should I upgrade to make full use of my 1080ti?

Apr 1, 2019
Hello Guys!

I would like to upgrade my gaming pc and therefor I need your advice. Thank you in advance for your time.

I have a game pc with these components

i5 6600k
Asus strixx 1080TI
Asus TUF TROOPER B150 D3
2x8 GB DDR3 Kingston ValueRAM KVR16LN11K2/16
be quiet! Pure Power L8 730W CM.
AOC AQ271QX 27" 1440p 144hz

A while ago I have bought the 1080ti and replaced it with my old 1070. I bought it for a really good price from a friend who stopped gaming.
I should be able to get much better performance, but probably it is not happening because the other components in my PC are not as new as the 1080ti. For example I can see in a few games that my CPU usage is 100% and my GPU is at 60-70%. I have benchmarked this with lots of games. Some games work fine, but I would like to upgrade to make better use of the 1080ti and therefore my question is what should I upgrade? My main purpose is best quality and highest fps. The money I want to spend is around 500 Euros.

Thank you for your advice and time.

BringerOfTea

Reputable
with a b150 motherboard and DDR3 ram? dang... a new 7700K costs about 400euros in deuthcland at least. Maybe look into the ryzen platform?

sell your I5 6600K

PCPartPicker part list: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/WsrsGG
Price breakdown by merchant: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/WsrsGG/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (€229.90 @ Alternate)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (€139.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€133.89 @ Alternate)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€104.85 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €608.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-01 10:53 CEST+0200

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectrO_90
6600k should be still enough for 1080ti on most games @1440p.
Only those games which can use more cores/threads e.g. BF1 can be bottlenecked badly by your I5 6600k.
If you want an upgrade because you are playing one of those games, unfortunately, you have to upgrade your processor, mainboard and RAM for best result.
If you are lack of budget, you can also try buying a second-handed I7 7700 or 7700k on eBay.

BringerOfTea

Reputable
I do have doubts about the PSU... TC has. As well as the motherboard. It is quite the budget build...
to get a 200-300 euros CPU into it while changing nothing else seems like a pissing your trousers to keep warm. No offense meant guanyu :)

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
IMO You are good for 2K gaming at ultra details. But there are some disadvantages having 4cores/4threads CPU.
Your CPU is at 100% because of a small number of threads in latest games, that use more of them.

So if You play 1440p, all You need to do now is to change CPU to 6700K or 7700K (+overclock maybe). If You can sell Your i5 CPU and add 150-200$ to it, that would be nice change for modern games in 70+ fps.

Also, 6600K is overclockable, so You can squeeze more performance out of it, if You need to. Maybe then You'll be fine with Your current setup.

--

If You want to play at maximum framerates like 120+ at 1080p/1440p, then i'd suggest selling Your mobo+ram+cpu and switch to at least i5 9600k or (maybe?) some ryzen 2600x/2700x.

Last edited:
The 6600k is overclockable, but OP would need an overclocking mobo as the b150, to my knowledge, is not. So new board and ram. At that point it almost make a sense just to go ahead and grab a newer cpu as well. I personally would go Intel, but ryzen is definitely a strong cpu. If you are going with ryzen you could try and deal with the current setup until mid year and see what 3000 series brings.

BringerOfTea

Reputable
The 6600k is overclockable, but OP would need an overclocking mobo as the b150, to my knowledge, is not. So new board and ram. At that point it almost make a sense just to go ahead and grab a newer cpu as well. I personally would go Intel, but ryzen is definitely a strong cpu. If you are going with ryzen you could try and deal with the current setup until mid year and see what 3000 series brings.

Agree, would not spend anything more on a CPU for that system TC has. and if he could get 100 euros for the cpu, mb and ram he has. He can get a decent PSU also.

Apr 1, 2019
Thank you very kindly for the good advice. I'm going to wait until later this year because actually I am doing quite fine with my current setup. It's not a MUST to update now but having a 1080TI in the system and knowing in some games it aint using its full power feels like ddddaaaaaamn. By the time the new series arrive I hope to appeal to you guys again for advice.

Reactions: mr_disco

g-unit1111

Titan
Thank you very kindly for the good advice. I'm going to wait until later this year because actually I am doing quite fine with my current setup. It's not a MUST to update now but having a 1080TI in the system and knowing in some games it aint using its full power feels like ddddaaaaaamn. By the time the new series arrive I hope to appeal to you guys again for advice.

Well in the meantime you could update the BIOS on your motherboard and throw in a 7700K (which you can get off eBay for around $150) and then maybe get some faster RAM and possibly an M2 drive if your motherboard can handle it. That would definitely give your system a significant speed boost and not cost you a lot of money in the long run.

DasHotShot

Honorable
Hello Guys!

I would like to upgrade my gaming pc and therefor I need your advice. Thank you in advance for your time.

I have a game pc with these components

i5 6600k
Asus strixx 1080TI
Asus TUF TROOPER B150 D3
2x8 GB DDR3 Kingston ValueRAM KVR16LN11K2/16
be quiet! Pure Power L8 730W CM.
AOC AQ271QX 27" 1440p 144hz

A while ago I have bought the 1080ti and replaced it with my old 1070. I bought it for a really good price from a friend who stopped gaming.
I should be able to get much better performance, but probably it is not happening because the other components in my PC are not as new as the 1080ti. For example I can see in a few games that my CPU usage is 100% and my GPU is at 60-70%. I have benchmarked this with lots of games. Some games work fine, but I would like to upgrade to make better use of the 1080ti and therefore my question is what should I upgrade? My main purpose is best quality and highest fps. The money I want to spend is around 500 Euros.

Thank you for your advice and time.

In this case you should upgrade the CPU, as this will have the largest impact on FPS. That i5 is bottlenecking the GPU to some degree. I am also assuming you have an SSD already?

Well in the meantime you could update the BIOS on your motherboard and throw in a 7700K (which you can get off eBay for around $150) and then maybe get some faster RAM and possibly an M2 drive if your motherboard can handle it. That would definitely give your system a significant speed boost and not cost you a lot of money in the long run.
If you find a 7700k for $150, send me a link!! They go for close to if not just over $300 used and $350-370new. Its a solid upgrade, but for OP would require an overclockable board to take advantage of it. Making it a less than sensible up grade vs a newer setup.

g-unit1111

Titan
If you find a 7700k for $150, send me a link!! They go for close to if not just over $300 used and $350-370new. Its a solid upgrade, but for OP would require an overclockable board to take advantage of it. Making it a less than sensible up grade vs a newer setup.

Yeah you can find them for around $180 if you know where to look. They usually do go about $250 - $300 if they're new and unopened. I did find this link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core...834597&hash=item4b61b7514f:g:Uk0AAOSwwhhbMgHY

Apr 1, 2019
Hey Guys,

it's been a few months. Now with the new releases of processors I am wondering what is best to upgrade my PC with. My setup has been described above and I think I would like to upgrade it with these new components. I would like to hear if you guys have other thoughts or advice.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 Tomahawk
G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
be quiet! Straight Power 11 550W

Thank you so much