[SOLVED] Which computer should I buy Intel or AMD ?

Apr 14, 2021
Hello i can get in same price AMD Ryzen 5 5600X ( 400$ ) or Intel i7-10700KF ( 380$ ) and i have no idea what to pick PC for gaming and i don't think i want to upgrade in next 4-5 years ( even if i will have to play on low ).
Just tell me if that 2 more core in intel will be useful in next year for gaming and what to pick cuz i really can't pick for my self. ( Sorry for my English)

• CPU : Intel - Core i7-10700KF / AMD - Ryzen 5 5600X
  • GPU : GTX 970 ( want to upgrade to 3070)
  • MotherBoard : Intel --- MSI Z490-A PRO / AMD - MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS
  • Memory : Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 Ballistix Black
  • PSU : SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 750W 80 Plus Gold
  • Case : SilentiumPC Regnum RG6V TG Pure Black
  • Storage : Kingston 500GB M.2 PCIe NVMe A2000
  • Cooler : SilentiumPC Fera 5 Dual Fan 2x120mm
  • Monitor : AOC C27G1 Curved - ( i know i should go for 1440p)

Solution
If you must pick between the i7-10700KF and the ryzen 5600X for gaming,
the better processor is the 5600x.
The single thread performance is better, and that is what most games need.
The extra threads of the 10700KF are useful only if you can fill them with work.
Games will not do that, most games do not take advantage of more than 4-6 threads.
For ryzen, pick your ram carefully, not all ddr4 ram will work properly.
Pick a supported kit from your motherboard ram qvl list, or go to the ram web site and access their ram support list for your motherboard/cpu combo.
You want ram that is explicitly supported.

Really, though, your gaming performance will be determined by your graphics card.
The cpu component is over rated.
Here is a review of...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
5600X is about the best/cheapest gaming CPU available. Arguments could be made for some of the cheaper Intel i5/7 right now, though the boards are more expensive typically.

i7-10700KF is roughly the same performance, if I recall, but it does have 8 cores vs the 6 of the AMD. So some multithreaded jobs might go faster on the Intel. For just gaming, either is pretty good.

I would look closely at the motherboard features and see if there is anything you particularly want.

Apr 14, 2021
There one thing I want from and it's to work I really don't need the other stuff. Like I said I can have both CPU at the same price so I just need to pick one, I just don't know which I should pick, for me I would go for Intel cuz of that 2 extra core and hope they will be more useful for gaming in 1-4 years if you could just say pick AMD or Intel because I'm kinda getting overwhelmed with information that I don't understand too much. My personal pick is for Intel

There one thing I want from and it's to work I really don't need the other stuff. Like I said I can have both CPU at the same price so I just need to pick one, I just don't know which I should pick, for me I would go for Intel cuz of that 2 extra core and hope they will be more useful for gaming in 1-4 years if you could just say pick AMD or Intel because I'm kinda getting overwhelmed with information that I don't understand too much. My personal pick is for Intel
You don’t need a cooler for the AMD system and the B550 chipset has a PCIE 4.0 slot and the Intel one to my knowledge doesn’t. This might be useful with higher end GPUs. With the newer APIs too CPU strength isn’t really going to be an issue. The only ones that were struggling we’re the 4 core 4 thread parts with DRM implementations.

Apr 14, 2021
Love to get that but they don't ship to Poland :D. Yeeee and guess what i had all this time i5-6400 and temp all-time at 41 °C and 100 % usage, u are right Intel don't have PCIE 4.0 but i don't think I can get any GPU in the next 3-6 months and i will need to endure with my GTX 970. F me i will be looking at forums for next 300 days before i pick one so tomorrow i just buy intel and it will be done.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
On the contrary, the reason Intel is favored right now for budget oriented builds is its cost/performance advantage. 5600X is superior, but is $300. 11400, even the older 10400 are very good options for gaming.

Not sure Ryzen has been around long enough for any conclusions about lasting as long as Intel, if anything, the opposite is more true, since AMD offers much higher CPU core count in the same class, so someone buying a 6 core chip today has room to go up to 16 cores with the right motherboard. Intel dropped the core count for 11th gen back to 8 cores.

We've had Intel 14nm for about 7 years now, but with many node improvements. AMD has been following TSMCs new nodes, so each generation is effectively new silicon. Can't really say much about how long they last until some time has elapsed.

Considering the power consumption of Intel's latest to keep the pace, again, favors AMD for longevity.

If you must pick between the i7-10700KF and the ryzen 5600X for gaming,
the better processor is the 5600x.
The single thread performance is better, and that is what most games need.
The extra threads of the 10700KF are useful only if you can fill them with work.
Games will not do that, most games do not take advantage of more than 4-6 threads.
For ryzen, pick your ram carefully, not all ddr4 ram will work properly.
Pick a supported kit from your motherboard ram qvl list, or go to the ram web site and access their ram support list for your motherboard/cpu combo.
You want ram that is explicitly supported.

Really, though, your gaming performance will be determined by your graphics card.
The cpu component is over rated.
Here is a review of the much cheaper i5-11400 for gamers.

The 11400f compares favorably to the 5600x and 10700K in the 10 game average test using a 3090 graphics card. with a lesser card, I would expect the difference to be even less.

Computer processors last a very long time, 10 years at least.
What happens is that they become outdated.
Your compute needs will change over time, and the price/performance of parts constantly improve.

ryzen next gen and intel 12th gen with DDR5 are due out in a year.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There one thing I want from and it's to work I really don't need the other stuff.
Maybe, maybe not. When it comes down to it, motherboard choice is just as important, and can be more so, than the cpu.

The motherboard can determine your case choices. Fan choices. Rgb choices. Cooling choices. Performance levels. Audio. Lan. Temps.

Any motherboard will 'work' but if you are planning on 8 argb fans and a 360mm AIO, the worst motherboard to choose is a budget mATX. Just because it 'works'.

That applies to pricing as well. To overclock the 10700kf in Any way you'll need a Z490/Z590 motherboard, and the budget boards in that catagory seriously Suck. For the same price or lower you could get a top line B or H rated board, but by the same token that negates the K in the cpu, so might as well go for the even cheaper 10700 instead of the 10700kf.

So while the 2 cpus are about the same price, it's the motherboard and cooling that will determine the better value. Which is AMD.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($191.04 @ Walmart)
Total: $490.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-27 22:54 EDT-0400
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700KF 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($305.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming Z590-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($259.99 @ ASUS)
Total: $565.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-27 22:54 EDT-0400

The AMD board is overkill, a cheaper B550 will do just as good. ($138.98 at Amazon for the Asus TUF plus wifi)
The Intel board is the Minimum, everything below is basically garbage.

Yet for the same basic motherboard it's over $100 difference overall. And that's before considering cooling.

The AMD requires simple and cheaper cooling, you could get away with a CM Hyper212. The Intel requires high performance cooling, a minimum of 240mm AIO or big air like a Noctua NH-D15S.

The simple $6 price difference between the 2 cpus is meaningless compared to the requirements and price tag of everything else involved supporting the cpus.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I imagine that is just referring to Resizable Bar, which is no longer limited to AMD. (AMD branded it Smart Access Memory, but it is a feature of PCIe)

Supported on Z490/Z590 with Intel (10th and 11th Gen CPUs)
Supported on AMD 3000 and 5000 series CPUs.
Supported on AMD 6000 series GPUs.
Supported on Nvidia 30 series GPUs.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most vendors have made such claims. MSI + Gigabyte have put advertising for gpus and motherboards for similar that I've seen, you supposedly get better performance if using the same brand, but what it boils down to is that they are software linked. Like a Corsair i psu, aio, fans are all iCue accessible or nzxt hue+ and x series aios are all linked through Cam software.

The increased performance being you spend less time flipping apps since everything is accessible in one app instead. Not really false advertising, but only a hairs breadth away from being an outright fabrication.

As far as ReBar goes, that's debatable, amd implemented it first, and supposedly works better, nvidia rushed it out following but isn't quite the same. Not much different to freesync and G-Sync, similar results, just different way of doing it. ReBar/Sam can be a boost in performance, but it's variable, highly dependent on the application and how it interacts with the memory.

In a nutshell, it's a sales gimmick, no different to vendor software OC in concept.

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
"The new AMD cards synergize with the new AMD CPU's for a performance boost"

Interesting;
Do you have a link where that assertion was tested?
I want to read more about it.

I haven't seen anyone do any testing on it yet, mostly because both the CPU's and GPU's have been hard to get, but AMD has been saying it for a while now.