[SOLVED] Which configuration should i run

WebowJo

Distinguished
May 21, 2013
Hello,
I've got my 1tb m.2 ssd ready, I mainly bought it because my 1tb hdd is nearly full as my games library drive.. for system, until now, I used a 256gb Toshiba data ssd which performs just fine..

my initial plans to use the new m.2 as extension drive for my games and continue to use my current ssd,
But I understand that it's better to put the m.2 as boot drive, and whether I will use sata drive or m.2 I have to install clean operating system, so what I'm basically asking is what hdd configuration makes most sense and that you recommend me...?

Should I keep my lighter games on hdd and put new heavier ones on the m.2? Should or should I use my hdd for pure file storage and use the m.2 as system and games library...

My current options are hdd stays for files and older games that don't need the ssd speeds, use the sata ssd as boot and nvme m.2 as games and other drive intensive programs.. or just sell the ssd or find use in another system for it and run just the m.2 and hdd..
I'm confused!

Advices are welcomed, thanks...

Last edited:
Solution
Is there a difference in speed between the 256GB and 1TB SSD? Is it large?

My gut says to put the OS and other normal programs on the 256GB. Put all your games on the 1TB drive, and use the 1TB HDD as your backup drive. If that isn't feasible then doing your idea of "the m.2 as programs and heavy loading games drive. And the hdd as media and light games " would work.

4745454b

Titan
I'm a bit confused. You have a 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, and now a 1tb ssd? Where is Windows? If windows is on the 1tb hdd is move it to your fastest ssd. Games that don't need speed and general data I'd put on your 1tb hdd. Games and everything else on the other ssd.

You also need a back up drive. Get a usb drive and plug it in once an X time period to back up anything important. Keep this drive at work or friends house.

WebowJo

Distinguished
May 21, 2013
I'm confused so it's no surprise you're too.
Currently there is no OS because it's a new build and some parts are yet to arrive.

I have a Toshiba planar mlc sata 6gb 256gb ssd
I have a 1tb m.2 nvme 3d nand tlc with a lot of slc buffer and dram
And then the good old Seagate if I'm not wrong or we 7200 1tb that is currently where most of my data in.

I'm trying to decide how to utilize these drives best..

Whether to ditch the hdd, replace it with the m.2 but then it's going to get full quickly..
Other option I could keep both, put the OS and programs and heavy games on the m.2 and ditch the sata ssd...
Another option is keep the sata ssd as OS drive only, and the m.2 as programs and heavy loading games drive. And the hdd as media and light games..

I have a external ssd for backups of critical files.. the rest is cloud backed so I don't need a dedicated 1tb raid 1 or other clone drives..

I'm just not sure what I'm gaining if I'm ditching the sata ssd or what I'm losing if I'm keeping it as dedicated os drive, instead the m.2 drive..

Given those circumstances how would you utilize these storage devices?

Thanks

4745454b

Titan
Is there a difference in speed between the 256GB and 1TB SSD? Is it large?

My gut says to put the OS and other normal programs on the 256GB. Put all your games on the 1TB drive, and use the 1TB HDD as your backup drive. If that isn't feasible then doing your idea of "the m.2 as programs and heavy loading games drive. And the hdd as media and light games " would work.

Solution

popatim

Titan
I would use the 1Tb M2 drive as boot and currently playing games disk. The HDD as Media (Movies Music Photos Documents...) and games you are done with but dont want to uninstall.
Which leaves what to do with the 256gb ssd. If you're a streamer or record your gameplay then there ya go, if not then maybe use it as a programs disk and lesser played games? or just sell/gift it.

WebowJo

Distinguished
May 21, 2013
That's what I was hoping for! To understand if I'm benefitting anything by putting os on m.2.. I've decided to use the ssd as OS drive in another rig.
I appreciate your input. Both of yours! This forum is truly awesome. Thanks