Question Which converter will give be better quality picture? VGA to HMDI or VGA to DVI-D? (Answered)

cassith

Commendable
Nov 10, 2017
So I've had a bit of a tricky situation with my new graphics card - I upgraded to an RX 580 8GB.

I used to have a GTX 760 that only had a DVI-I dual link female plug, and I have an LED monitor that only have VGA and HMDI cables - BUT the HMDI port broke somewhere along the line, so I'm stuck with VGA.

So for the GTX 760 I used a converter from VGA to DVI-I, and the picture was fairly good - I didn't have any complaints.

But now when I bought the RX 580, I realised that it only has a DVI-D plug (and HDMI but I can't use that) - and I had to scramble to find something to work. So, in the mean time (because I was desperate) I bought a VGA to HDMI converter to just be able to have a picture, and it worked. But the picture is considerably worse than what it was on my old card. Text is fuzzy and faded, as is everything else really.

Now, after a lot of searching in my area, I found a store that sells VGA to DVI-D converter - but it's quite pricey.

My question is thus this (and TLDR): do you think that I will get a better picture with the VGA to DVI-D converter than the VGA to HDMI converter?

I ask this this because it's pricey, and I don't want to waste any more money without a noticeable difference. The VGA to HDMI converter was quite pricey on its own. I use a a gaming setup and I play at 1080p.

Last edited:

cassith

Commendable
Nov 10, 2017
Thanks for the help guys, not going to pick up the DVI-D converter then and start looking at a new monitor instead. And give the old one a kick up the back side, maybe it will start working!

TRENDING THREADS