[SOLVED] Which cooler do I need for this backplate?

guest2019user

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
I have this 212 cooler I'm trying to mount to an LGA 2011 board. The screws don't seem to be quite long enough to reach the stock screwholes. Is there a way to get those screws out so I can put longer ones in or am I screwed (lol)? Also, is there a cooler I can buy that will have hardware that will mount right up to those screwholes already coming from the backplate or does the backplate need to come out? If I buy a cooler with the pushpins would I need to take the backplate out anyway?
Picture

Solution
Aftermarket coolers don't fit on those dell boards , they use a proprietary setup. Dells use a longer screw with a longer spring.

It looks like there are now more cooler offerings. I picked up this deepcool cooler (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JEMXYQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and it bolted right up! https://photos.app.goo.gl/VgZ4qT1QoLXEwMdJ9

Brought temps down 15-20*! Although its too big for the case. I'll probably use this on another project and find a smaller cooler if possible. If not then sell the HP and buy a 2011 board from aliexpress.

guest2019user

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
Aftermarket coolers don't fit on those dell boards , they use a proprietary setup. Dells use a longer screw with a longer spring.

Oh I don't even have the option of changing the backplate? I'm working on taking the screws out of the x-plate in the picture so I can put in longer screws that will reach. I was able to run the setup yesterday without it screwed down and it ran 10* cooler than the stock setup for the first few minutes but eventually rose to 62* and started spinning high and low similar to how a car does when the MAF sensor is going bad.

guest2019user

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
It's not just the screws , it needs the right amount of tension from the Dell springs. Is this a DELL Workstation?

Yes this is a workstation.

When you say it needs the right amount of tension do you mean it is programmed to sense inch pounds of torque or something? Or do you just mean that there is an optimal amount of tension in general? I just took the screws out of that mount and removed the springs so I could get it to sit down but that fan won't fit in the case anyway so I'm going to use it for my AM3 system.

guest2019user

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
Yes there is a spec. It doesn't need to be perfect , but unfortunately DELL uses a proprietary setup on most of their mounts. I have a Precision T3600 with an E5 2690 , LUCKILY the stock cooler keeps it cool. I did change to MX4 paste.

I have a few more coolers coming in from aliexpress. I'll rig up something to fit in there and do the job and reply with the results in case its something you might want to pursue. Although I am a little weary about having those RAM fans off. The RAM did seem to get pretty hot without the fans.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

guest2019user

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018

It looks like there are now more cooler offerings. I picked up this deepcool cooler (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JEMXYQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and it bolted right up! https://photos.app.goo.gl/VgZ4qT1QoLXEwMdJ9

Brought temps down 15-20*! Although its too big for the case. I'll probably use this on another project and find a smaller cooler if possible. If not then sell the HP and buy a 2011 board from aliexpress.

Last edited:
Solution

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
You have to see what socket the cooler is compatible with. I was looking for a CPU cooler as well and decided to go with the ARCTIC 34 Esport Duo. It's said to be the best budget cooler and the install seems really easy.

The 212 is known to have a difficult install and from what I head read online the directions aren't very good. I never used an aftermarket cooler before. I have used the stock Intel cooler since I built my PC back in 2016. So easy installation was one my main concerns when deciding what cooler to buy.