Which cooler for the Asus Striker Extreme?

Wishjuh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Hi!

In a few weeks I'm getting the new Asus Striker Extreme Mainboard. The CPU I'm getting is the Intel C2D E6600. Can someone tell me which cooler is best to use here? Becoz of the heatpipes surrounding the CPU... I figured my Zalman Fatal1ty FS-C77 will not fit in the mainboard.

Anyone a suggestion?

Thx

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Wusy's has a great list coolers, but basically, Tuniq Tower, Thermalright XP-120, Scythe Ninja or Infinity would be the best of the best.

The Arctic Freezer 7 Pro is a great mid-range cooler, that will also cool your board.

Also, you can take a look at the Titan Amanda Peltier cooler if you're willing to splurge a bit more.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I wouldn't recommend the Amanda. It looks cool, but it just barely outperforms a Big Typhoon that costs less than half as much. 1 to 3C cooler for more than twice as much and an extra 60W of power consumption just isn't worth it to me. For this mobo I'd recommend anything that will provide airflow over the VRM's if your case isn't set up to do so. The Big Typhoon is an obvious choice, I recently clocked a 6600 up to 3.2Ghz on one and under load temps were barely reaching the mid-50's. Plus, the price won't break the bank. Look around and see what others are using.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
One thing I've noticed, is that ASUS tends to try and cool the NB and SB by running a pipe towards the CPU error. Their intention is that the stock CPU cooler will blow cool air onto the heatsink, which will then disperse the air around the CPU, which is where the heatpipes go to. With the Arctic Cooler 7 Freezer Pro, it has been designed to cool the components that are directly behind the heatsink:
airflow_freezer7pro.gif

Other coolers, like the Scythe heatsinks, don't :(. This is (in my opinion) why i still can't overclock to 3.6GHz (400*9) with my C2D E6600. It's in a P180B case with all the fans still attached (regardless of the one in the hard drive bay). So, everything is cool.

Other than that, just make sure to never use tape on the back of the motherboard to seat the brackets for some of the CPU coolers. That crap is hard to get off! :oops:

Wishjuh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Thx all for the advice. I just ordered the Scythe Infinity. It wasn't that expensive... so I think I made the good choice here.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Eh, blowing air over the mobo and MOSFET's is overrated. It's all about CPU COOLING!!!

And to the person who didn't like the Amanda... it only costs 70 bucks...
with decent reviews all around. Every degree counts, and if you don't want to take the 200+ jump into water...

http://www.pro-clockers.com/reviews.php?id=168&page=7

http://www.overclockersonline.net/?page=articles&num=521&pnum=5

Some reviews, and a thread about the price:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1099746\

70 bucks for the cooler... not a bad price at all...

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
When I installed my watercooling rig I failed to adequately cool the area around the CPU. CPU would not overclcok by even 5%. Case airflow just wasn't enough. Cut a hole in the side panel and mounted a 120mm fan directly over the CPU area. The chip is at a 67% overclock now.

Do yourself a favor and plan adequately for cooling those MOSFETS and and other items around the CPU area. They take a beating in high overclocks and need cooling.

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
It could be the reason your overclock is failing. Remeber all that electricity on which your clock cycle is dependenyt os goingthrough those voltage regulators. If the get hot they stop working correctly. My CPU, on water, was nice and cool but the sytem was completely unstable at anything above 1.38v. The 120mm in the side panel (believe me, cutting that nice Lian Li aluminum was hard to do) stabilized everything and she clocked right up.

I had a similar problem with the RAM. I actually baked a stick of DDR500 (Corsair replaced on warranty). I ended up velcroing an old OEM HSF fan in front of the RAM and it works great now. I learned a lot of lessons about case cooling with water on that modification.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Ram modules really shouldn't be getting that hot though.. how many volts were you running through them? 2.4V?

Either way, there are ram cooling modules out now, not to mention Ram heatsinks that look like skyscrapers... I'm seriously wondering how everything will fit in my case...

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Ram modules really shouldn't be getting that hot though.. how many volts were you running through them? 2.4V?

Either way, there are ram cooling modules out now, not to mention Ram heatsinks that look like skyscrapers... I'm seriously wondering how everything will fit in my case...

The RAM was in a deadspot. It got that hot because there was little to no airflow and I was stress testing. Anyways, it is good now. Just velcroed a small fan on the case floor that blows air over the RAM heat spreaders.