Which coolers would be best for my setup? I'm not sure that any of the coolers in the "best of" article would fit.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
My build includes:
Corsair iCUE 5000x case (~175mm clearance from CPU)
Intel i7-12700k CPU
ASUS TUF Gaming H670-Pro w/wifi D4 (min. base clearance ~25mm? to avoid the MB's edge heatsinks, max. width ~100mm? to avoid the heatsinks and slot)
Patriot Viper Steel 2x32GB UDIMMs
M.2 SSD in the slot by the CPU
XFX Speedster Swift 319 16 GB PCIe 4.0 Radeon RX 6800 XT, model RX-68XTAQ (will probably be in the slot by the CPU)

I'm looking for a cooler that is compatible with my setup, but the options are hard to determine. The cooler would need to be able to fit in my MB without interfering with the heatsinks, RAM, 1 x M.2 22110 PCIe 4.0 x4 mode slot and the 1 x PCIe 5.0 x16 (CPU) - ASUS SafeSlot. It seems that I'd either need a cooler with very tall clearance above the landscape before it gets big, which is fine as long as it doesn't prevent access to whatever is below (removing and replacing the cooler every time I need to go "under the hood" is something I'd like to avoid), or I'd have to be constrained to an area of about L 100mm x W 100 mm x H 175 mm x 25mm base clearance.

I need a cooler that will not prevent the use/access of any slots. I only saw one from Be Quiet! that appeared to match (Pure Rock Slim 2) and the Gammaxx C40 from Deep Cool. I'd have to wade through a lot of pages to figure out which might be good from Noctua, which presented a LONG list without specs. I have no idea which would actually keep my system cool enough. I'm not planning on overclocking.

Thanks for any help!

Note: I emailed the 3 companies today to ask for their recommendations, but I'm willing to consider other brands, so here I am.

Last edited:

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Thought.

If you were to back down one notch to a 12700 it comes with a cooler.

If that cooler does what you need your good to go.

If not then you shop for a cooler.

You save some bucks and don't seem to give up much perf.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McYHE7ntQI0
Unfortunately, I already have the CPU installed. My IT friend who's an expert gave me some bad advice on which CPU to get. He said, "Get the K, not the KF. The KF has picture problems." He's a corporate IT guy. :( On the other hand, he also pointed out the 50% sale on my case.
Thanks anyways.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Whoa...

Something I'd like to be sure you're aware of:
If room ambient really gets to 32C, a PC serves to increase it further. A PC is a space heater.

A change in temperature of 5C, won't matter to the hardware, but to flesh and bones, it's different; people notice that, and it may or may not be comfortable.

The PC's contribution to room ambient increase is tied to system power consumption over time, until it reaches some equilibrium.
Liquid coolers are not a fix when they don't change how much power is used by the PC. So in terms of keeping room ambient going up too much, neither air nor liquid coolers win.
Instead, stick to balanced power plans running a 90-95% power limit on the gpu, and frame caps.

There really is no best here; they all have their pros and cons.
As long as you're not trapping heat inside the PC, no one's going to deck you for it.

No, they're all up there in price, and not many models have water block fans. Except the Liquid Freezer II, the Ryujin II and MEG Coreliquid are those pricey ones I mentioned.
Corsair iCUE and NZXT CAM are mandatory to use with their coolers. Your personal experience with be either love/neutral/hate.
If I remember correctly, Lian Li, Asus, and Cooler Master have optional software. Probably not as thorough as the other 2, not sure.

Thanks. If you have any other recommendations, even if they don't have a block fan, but have software, please let me know. I'll probably just get a tower cooler for the cold(ish) months, then add more fans, and then buy an AIO next summer if needed, so I have time to hear everyone's advice on the best AIO options. Then again, when my apartment gets to the 60s (Jan-Mar), I'll be running cool.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the heat. I have a window fan that blows on me, and bathroom fans to suck out some of the top heat, but that won't be enough with two mid-towers running (my son has a lesser one with no GC). At least I can look forward to slightly warmer temps in my living room when it's cold. ;) I'll keep hydrated either way. I just hope my cat doesn't try to live on top of my case. 8(

If you notice any other options, please advise. How do you feel about AIOs vs custom?

Maybe I'll invite Frosty the Snowman over for an extended stay. ;)

Amusing note...At the bottom of your message, it says:

Phaaze's Current Setup

You

Well, actually, the you is my like for your message, but I thought it was funny and can't post a screenshot.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you have any other recommendations, even if they don't have a block fan, but have software, please let me know.
Those 5 companies I named are among the most popular. Corsair and NZXT are probably at the top - I'm just not a fan of their non-optional software. You might like 'em though.
[If I end up not liking the software, Imma want to turn it off... but I can't turn it off, or else the cooler won't function correctly. So a huge turn off for me.]

spoiler'd for length
Yeah, I know what you mean about the heat...
Great. I wanted to be sure. Some folks see operating temperature being responsible for heating up their rooms, when that's not the case.

If you notice any other options, please advise. How do you feel about AIOs vs custom?
You are not missing much, in terms of performance, between AIO/CLCs. [Custom loop, I can't comment on, as I've not delved into it.]
The most notable things I've noticed between them are:
1)Aesthetics, which is subjective.
2)Pump types - affects viable mounting options.
3)Fans - rather, the relationship between the fan specs and the curves the user will set to their level of comfort. Those fans aren't just cpu fans, they are case fans too.

I don't believe there's a best, though Arctic's Liquid Freezer II is up there, even if:
-the VRM fan is a gimmick.
-the thicker than norm radiator can present compatibility issues.
-the package ships with very short fan cables. Meaning, if you wanted to control the fans separate from the pump, instead of the default pump + fans managed on a single splitter, you'd have to buy new fans/fan extension cables...
I'd still rate it in the darn good category. Besides that...
Fractal Design's Celsius+
Alphacool's Eisbaers
I don't really like recommending Corsair and NZXT coolers, as the fewer 3rd party software apps one installs, the smoother the system will run overall. If one really wants to use one, then so be it.

How I feel about AIO/CLC? Overrated - on cpus, at least. More worthwhile on gpus, but those aren't as easy to set up and options are far fewer.
Once the Eisbaer kicks the bucket, I'm going back to cpu air coolers. Gpu liquid cooling is staying though.

Amusing note...At the bottom of your message, it says:
OH... crap.
The parts list is up to date, but the description hasn't been updated from Day 1...

Reactions: ReveurGAM

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
No, they're all up there in price, and not many models have water block fans. Except the Liquid Freezer II, the Ryujin II and MEG Coreliquid are those pricey ones I mentioned.
Corsair iCUE and NZXT CAM are mandatory to use with their coolers. Your personal experience with be either love/neutral/hate.
If I remember correctly, Lian Li, Asus, and Cooler Master have optional software. Probably not as thorough as the other 2, not sure.

Ok, so between all the different AIOs that have software, I'm leaning towards the ASUS over the Corsair at this point because of my motherboard. However, I'd like your thoughts on which SW-managed AIOs I should seriously consider, and which I should avoid, if you have anything else to input. :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, so between all the different AIOs that have software, I'm leaning towards the ASUS over the Corsair at this point because of my motherboard. However, I'd like your thoughts on which SW-managed AIOs I should seriously consider, and which I should avoid, if you have anything else to input. :)
I don't have any more input there, as I purposefully avoid trying to install extra software where I can.

Again, user experience with those apps will vary.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
FYI...Based on Noctua's advice, I'm going with the NH-U12A. They feel it should be sufficient during the hot summer days.

ASUS disagrees and said only an AIO would be sufficient (perhaps because they don't sell tower coolers?), and said I should get at least the Ryujin II 360, so I continue to solicit knowledge about AIOs, for those who are knowledgeable about them.

On a separate note, my Patriot Viper Steel 2x32 GB 3600 MHz RAM doesn't show up on ASUS's list of compatible RAM, so I'm waiting to hear back from them about it. If they say it failed, I'll have to return it and get one of the recommended kits.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
ASUS disagrees and said only an AIO would be sufficient (perhaps because they don't sell tower coolers?), and said I should get at least the Ryujin II 360, so I continue to solicit knowledge about AIOs, for those who are knowledgeable about them.
Oh Asus... hahahah... if it guarantees a sale, of course they'd say that.
Their Ryujin II is 'meh' on performance. For as much as it costs, the thing isn't breaking any records(except cost). Asus shot themselves in the knee using NF-F12s, which aren't actually that good on radiators.
I've got several F12s - the regular and IPPC 3000 - so personal experience is involved, then there's this TPU review of them that came to the same conclusion: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/noctua-nf-f12-pwm-chromax/5.html
'Only an AIO/CLC is sufficient'... BULL... and no, they don't sell air coolers.

With one exception, the performance gap between tower air and AIO/CLCs is negligible to small in practice, and it is 'our fault' for that outcome. I do not suggest adopting liquid for performance alone.
NH-D15S, Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme, True Spirit 140 Power, Celsius S36, Celsius+ S28, Eisbaer Aurora 360(Phanteks T30-120)... < all coolers I've used, or am currently using, and what I've gathered through those is that:
Our ears are what allow air coolers to stay competitive with the liquid ones - or I twist it around and say: Our ears keep the liquid coolers from completely wiping the floor with air coolers... though there's that one exception which I haven't stated yet.

The fan(s) that come with AIO/CLC typically have higher max parameters(CFM, SP, dBA) than those on air coolers, but for good reason: the extra air resistance presented by the radiator and case panel the rad is installed against.
Though that reason is for naught due to more noise = bad/unwanted.
An air cooler's fan(s) exist for itself, whereas those on AIO/CLC is for both it and the components inside the PC - in other words, they're both cpu/gpu cooler AND case fans.
If you've seen noise normalized performance reviews... those are close to what I suspect most will run the fans at, but some likely still find that too audible, and either lower fan speed further(which doesn't help the 'reason' mentioned earlier), or replace the fans($$$).
To sum this little paragraph up: AIO/CLC fans usually aren't as well balanced as those of air coolers, due to trying to play 2 roles at the same time.

AIO/CLCs are more expensive than the retail price suggests(it's deceptive).
If one has deep pockets, I figure it's no big deal. For those on a tighter budget, they may not be a great first pick.
If one uses their PC for work, and 'time is money', then I strongly suggest having a backup cooler on hand for when the pump fails, or even shows signs of trouble.
These coolers are convenient for cases that come with no fans or just 1-2, so they've got that going for them.

Some folks talk about air coolers being big and blocky, but AIO/CLCs are air coolers stretched way the heck out and with more fluid in them.
"Do you want the air cooler focused in one area, or do you want the air cooler running from Point A to Point B to Point C?" XD

Oh, and that exception where air coolers can't hang with liquid: all core load, high power use during said load, and run for extended periods of time. That's when the gap can get large.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Thank you for the thorough and informative response, Phaaze. Very helpful.

But it makes me curious - if the difference is small, why do you use AIOs? Are you overclocking or doing very intensive work?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
But it makes me curious - if the difference is small, why do you use AIOs? Are you overclocking or doing very intensive work?
Curiosity killed the cat. Videos, articles, and forum discussions weren't enough to satisfy me - I had to see for myself.
I used to be pro-air cooler, and now take a more neutral approach.

The ones currently in use haven't croaked yet, that's why I'm still using 'em; may as well do so until they die. The oldest one, the Celsius S36 + Kraken G12, has been in service a little over 2 years. The Celsius+ S28 is a backup.
The Eisbaer Aurora on the cpu is right at 2 years. Once it goes, I'm going back to cpu air cooling - gpu liquid cooling will stay though, as I have a much more favorable impression of it.

I did a little overclocking on this 7820X. It was fun for some time... don't care anymore though. The gpu had nothing to really gain from it, so that ended about as soon as it started; the built in boost algorithms does most of the OC for the user.

I am neither a 'hardcore gamer', nor use the PC for work. It's a hobby for me.