Which Cooling Configuration Should I Use?

PAULO40

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013
Hi All

In need of some advice as to how best to cool my new PC build as efficiently and safely as possible. The problem I'm having is that I have three fan headers on my MSI B450M PRO motherboard, however I want to install an AIO liquid cooler, which needs a fan header each for the pump and fan. This means that I am left with only one spare fan header on my motherboard, and I want to be able to connect another three fans to my PC case, another intake fan and two exhaust fans.

I've come up with three possible scenarios to get around this problem and would like some advice as to which would be the best option in terms of effectiveness of cooling and safety of my build.

1: I could connect my liquid cooler pump to the CPU fan header, the cooler fan to one of the system fan headers and then use a fan controller to operate the remaining three fans, which would leave a system fan header free on the motherboard.

2: Same as above however connect the three remaining fans to the free system fan header on the motherboard using a 3 to 1 splitter cable.

3: Connect the liquid cooler pump to the CPU fan header, then use a 2 to 1 splitter cable to connect the cooler fan and other intake fan to one system fan header on the motherboard, and another 2 to 1 splitter cable to connect the two exhaust fans to the other system fan header.

I'd much prefer to be able to use PWM fans connected to the motherboard to allow me full control of the fans through my PC, so options 2 or 3 would be my ideal choice, however, if some of you could give your advice as to what option would be best, or have your own suggestions, then I would be very grateful to hear them.

Many thanks in advance.

Solution
Well, you don't technically *need* the water pump hooked up to a header, it's gonna pump coolant either way. Ideally, you don't want more than 2 fans to a header, so even though you can buy a 3 way splitter, depending on the fans it could damage your motherboard. Get an inexpensive controller for your extra fans. I have a phanteks one that came with my case, and that thing makes everything a lot simpler, harder to wire, but once it's done I change one fan parameter, and with it five fans change parameters. Also, with the splitter, you'll only be able to monitor one of the fans, the other is a wire short so it'll get PWM signal to adjust speeds, but there's no monitor lead on it, same with three way, just you won't see the other two.
Well, you don't technically *need* the water pump hooked up to a header, it's gonna pump coolant either way. Ideally, you don't want more than 2 fans to a header, so even though you can buy a 3 way splitter, depending on the fans it could damage your motherboard. Get an inexpensive controller for your extra fans. I have a phanteks one that came with my case, and that thing makes everything a lot simpler, harder to wire, but once it's done I change one fan parameter, and with it five fans change parameters. Also, with the splitter, you'll only be able to monitor one of the fans, the other is a wire short so it'll get PWM signal to adjust speeds, but there's no monitor lead on it, same with three way, just you won't see the other two.

Solution

PAULO40

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013

Cheers for the really prompt response Jossrik, much appreciated.

I see where you are coming from when using splitters, I guess if one fan packs up I wouldn't necessarily know it without physically looking inside the case. That makes my decision of buying a fan controller a lot easier now, which was initially the path that I thought I might have to take.

Don't suppose you know of any decent, inexpensive fan controllers out there do you? Preferably one's that will fit into a internal 5.25" DVD slot.

PAULO40

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013

Cheers for the help and advice.
I was going to wait until black friday, however I found some one local to me selling an almost new NZXT Sentry 3 fan controller for half the price of a new one, which I decided to go for, picking it up later today. He was only selling as it was cluttering up his case, luckily I wont have that problem as I have a cube case, with seperate sections for motherboard, cooler, etc and psu, hdd drives, and the slot where the fan controller will go. Don't know what they are like but at that price I wasn't going to say no.
You said in your first reply that you don't technically need the water pump attached to a header as it will pump water anyway, does this apply to AIO water coolers as well? I can't see how the water will be pumped around without a power supply??