[SOLVED] Which Corsair Vengeance LPX?

Mark_Tilbrook

Commendable
Jul 11, 2017
Im buying the corsair vengeance lpx 16gb kit. However, If i buy 1x16gb instead of 2x8gb i can get it pretty much half price. It would be 3000mz. What do you think or should I just pay and get the 2x8gb at 3200mz?

Solution
In your opinion, would you rather get G.Skill Aegis Series 32GB 25USD more than Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb. Or Keep the 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX and get the R7 3700x. I don't know what decision to make.
You might as well grab those those 32gb Gskills as that would be better long term. Also if you grabbed that 16gb kit and wanted to add in another 16gb, even if identical, it may not work or run at the correct speeds so going with the 32gb now would be ideal.

WildCard999

Titan
Also, do you think 16gb is enough for the next few years? I see some games can get to about 12gb usage and that scares me.
16gb is pretty much the standard nowadays and should be fine for a couple of years but it depends also on if your streaming/multitasking and future game requirements. Also Windows 10 allocates memory as needed, the more memory you have the more Windows 10 will try to utilize more of it so if, for example, your running 8gb of memory Windows 10 may utilize 4gb of it while someone utilizing 16gb of memory Windows 10 will use more.

Mark_Tilbrook

Commendable
Jul 11, 2017
16gb is pretty much the standard nowadays and should be fine for a couple of years but it depends also on if your streaming/multitasking and future game requirements. Also Windows 10 allocates memory as needed, the more memory you have the more Windows 10 will try to utilize more of it so if, for example, your running 8gb of memory Windows 10 may utilize 4gb of it while someone utilizing 16gb of memory Windows 10 will use more.
In your opinion, would you rather get G.Skill Aegis Series 32GB 25USD more than Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb. Or Keep the 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX and get the R7 3700x. I don't know what decision to make.

WildCard999

Titan
You might as well grab those those 32gb Gskills as that would be better long term. Also if you grabbed that 16gb kit and wanted to add in another 16gb, even if identical, it may not work or run at the correct speeds so going with the 32gb now would be ideal.

Solution

Mark_Tilbrook

Commendable
Jul 11, 2017
ASUS X570 TUF WiFi or Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

I once was using a PC that has 1x8GB DDR3 on it for "scientific purposes". It was really slow for productivity works. If you are only gaming, it might be OK especially if it's half the price and at the same or faster speed (I still wouldn't do it if it's slower). If you're doing productivity works, it's no bueno. Not at all cost except if it's free.
Thanks, if you had to choose one, which would it be, i know nothing about mobos and the price is kinda the same.

Mark_Tilbrook

Commendable
Jul 11, 2017
ASUS, slightly better VRM and WiFi. A bit more expensive, though.
It looks like I can save quite a bit of money on the mobo if I get a B450, will there be any issues with this build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NfBZrV
or what do you recommend? If i save on the mobo I can get a R7 3700x instead of a 3600x. I dont plan on overclocking and I dont plan on upgrading for at least 3 years

It looks like I can save quite a bit of money on the mobo if I get a B450, will there be any issues with this build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NfBZrV
or what do you recommend? If i save on the mobo I can get a R7 3700x instead of a 3600x. I dont plan on overclocking and I dont plan on upgrading for at least 3 years
That's also fine, but beware of quirky BIOS bugs. They're not that bad though, I am using an MSI B450 with a 3600.

I recommend one of this:
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (Requires you to update the BIOS, luckily MSI boards supports USB BIOS flashing)
MSI B450-A PRO MAX (Inferior, less features, cheaper, but does not need BIOS updates)

Both will take a 3900X or a 3950X without an overclock.

For your build, I think an RM650x would suit better than a TX750M. Your build is pretty power efficient and a quieter PSU like the RM650x should be a better option.

Mark_Tilbrook

Commendable
Jul 11, 2017
That's also fine, but beware of quirky BIOS bugs. They're not that bad though, I am using an MSI B450 with a 3600.

I recommend one of this:
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (Requires you to update the BIOS, luckily MSI boards supports USB BIOS flashing)
MSI B450-A PRO MAX (Inferior, less features, cheaper, but does not need BIOS updates)

Both will take a 3900X or a 3950X without an overclock.

For your build, I think an RM650x would suit better than a TX750M. Your build is pretty power efficient and a quieter PSU like the RM650x should be a better option.
Im thinking about the first one, what are the steps to updating the bios?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

Oh, I just realized something. I forgot that the RM650x only has one 8-pin CPU connector. The Pro Carbon takes 8+4 pins. However, running without the 4 is fine for a low power CPU like the 3700x, I believe you won't need the RM750x just for that. If you can find Super Flower's Leadex III 650W it might be a better option as it has this issue covered. If you can't, the RM650x is going to be completely fine.

Last edited:

Mark_Tilbrook

Commendable
Jul 11, 2017
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

Oh, I just realized something. I forgot that the RM650x only has one 8-pin CPU connector. The Pro Carbon takes 8+4 pins. However, running without the 4 is fine for a low power CPU like the 3700x, I believe you won't need the RM750x just for that. If you can find Super Flower's Leadex III 650W it might be a better option as it has this issue covered. If you can't, the RM650x is going to be completely fine.
Thanks again. Last thing, when I build this new set up, when should I flash the bios and when should I install windows from the boot usb? can i use the same usb because I see the bios flash one needs to be formatted correctly. I have a laptop that I can download everything onto the usb luckily.

It says on the website that the mobo is "updated for 3rd gen Ryzen". Is there any harm in trying to boot up without flashing the bios before? Or should I just try flash the bios before.
Hmm... That's interesting. I don't know what it means, though. The seller might update the BIOS, or something, I'm not sure. MSI doesn't promise compatibility out of the box. You can validate that claim. If the BIOS isn't compatible, the board just won't POST.

TRENDING THREADS