[SOLVED] Which CPU cooler is the better choice?

joejackson700

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
I am considering getting a custom-built pc from CyberPowerPC.com. I would want to choose a cpu cooler fan that does not cover up any of the memory slots. I think that leaves me with only two choices. The "AMD Ryzen Premium Wraith (Spire?) CPU Cooler for Socket AM4" and the "Cooler Master A71C CPU Air Cooler Anodized Black Aluminum + Copper Core 120mm ARGBMaster Fan (For AMD CPU)." The second one looks like it has better looking RGB but I would ultimately want to choose the better performing one to cool a 5900x in a Phanteks Eclipse P400A case.
You can see the two choices at. https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer-Essential-Esports

Solution
Neither. A 5900X will overwhelm both.
The Wraith Prism that was paired with the 3900X wasn't adequate; the 5900x is even more aggressive with it's boost clocks than the former is.
Oh, and the A71C is likely worse than the Wraith Prism: Aluminum sink + small copper core design < the aluminum sink + 6 copper heatpipes design.

Ok... after taking a look-see through the link you provided:
-Not a single one of those air coolers listed is really viable with a 5900X.
-As for hybrid: That 120mm Asetek Fatboy or the 240mm units would be the bare minimum I'd pair with that cpu.
I'd rather see you put at least a 280mm on it though, but that may just be me...

I just noticed that CPPC doesn't specify WHICH Wraith cooler. The picture isn't...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The Wraith Prism that was paired with the 3900X wasn't adequate; the 5900x is even more aggressive with it's boost clocks than the former is.
Oh, and the A71C is likely worse than the Wraith Prism: Aluminum sink + small copper core design < the aluminum sink + 6 copper heatpipes design.

-As for hybrid: That 120mm Asetek Fatboy or the 240mm units would be the bare minimum I'd pair with that cpu.
I'd rather see you put at least a 280mm on it though, but that may just be me...

I just noticed that CPPC doesn't specify WHICH Wraith cooler. The picture isn't everything... and all it says is, 'Ryzen Premium Wraith', like I'm supposed to know what that means... :rolleyes:
The Prism(the strongest Wraith model) already isn't enough... if they meant the Spire or Stealth, that'd be even worse.

Solution

joejackson700

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020

I just noticed that CPPC doesn't specify WHICH Wraith cooler. The picture isn't everything... and all it says is, 'Ryzen Premium Wraith', like I'm supposed to know what that means... :rolleyes:
The Prism(the strongest Wraith model) already isn't enough... if they meant the Spire or Stealth, that'd be even worse.
Is this still true if I don't plan on overclocking the 5900x?

joejackson700

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
Yes.
Besides, the 5900X essentially 'overclocks itself' as long as you provide adequate cooling... well, that currently applies to Ryzen 3000-5000 and the Comet Lake i9s.
The case I would be using is the Phanteks Eclipse P400A. GamerNexus has this case's cpu thermals at 48.2 degrees C while under load. This is one of the lowest temperatures for the cases he has rated. So would that still not make enough of a difference for cooling the 5900x if it was paired with either of the CPU Coolers mentioned?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@AlexaKitty
The OP's just looking at the options from the Cyberpower link.

The case I would be using is the Phanteks Eclipse P400A. GamerNexus has this case's cpu thermals at 48.2 degrees C while under load. This is one of the lowest temperatures for the cases he has rated.
1)That's a good chassis. I've no problem with that; you've got that part covered.

2)That's deltaT over ambient, not the actual temp.
Plus, Steve used a 6700K + GTX 1080 in that review, not a 5900X + whatever gpu you were looking to put in there.

So would that still not make enough of a difference for cooling the 5900x if it was paired with either of the CPU Coolers mentioned?
No. Those are basically low budget level coolers. Bad idea to pair with such a high end cpu.
Balance in the force(PC) is important. Such a pairing would be very disruptive.

Get the biggest cooler you can afford for that cpu so you can deal with this: https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-views-ryzen-5000-cpu-temperatures-up-to-95c-as-typical-and-by-design/

Reactions: FoxVoxDK

joejackson700

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
@AlexaKitty
The OP's just looking at the options from the Cyberpower link.

1)That's a good chassis. I've no problem with that; you've got that part covered.

2)That's deltaT over ambient, not the actual temp.
Plus, Steve used a 6700K + GTX 1080 in that review, not a 5900X + whatever gpu you were looking to put in there.

No. Those are basically low budget level coolers. Bad idea to pair with such a high end cpu.
Balance in the force(PC) is important. Such a pairing would be very disruptive.

Get the biggest cooler you can afford for that cpu so you can deal with this: https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-views-ryzen-5000-cpu-temperatures-up-to-95c-as-typical-and-by-design/
If the link provided to that article is correct wouldn't that mean its ok for a zen 3 cpu to get up to 90 degrees celcuis?

joejackson700

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
Yep, but some folks can't help but be a little paranoid. Are you one of those folks?
That said, more cooling headroom = higher sustained boost clocks.
So because of all this what are your opinions of pairing a 5900x or 5800x with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB? I know this isn't high end fan but its the best option that CyberPowerPC.com has that is not a all-in-one fan. Is this fan not adequate enough, I don't want to sacrifice the lifespan of the cpu? Also, I don't plan on overclocking.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
opinions of pairing a 5900x or 5800x with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB? I know this isn't high end fan but its the best option that CyberPowerPC.com has that is not a all-in-one fan.
Actually, it isn't. The Enermax cooler is the strongest air cooled offering.

Also, I don't plan on overclocking.
It's not necessary to begin with. That cpu will push for higher clocks on its own - by design - and all you have to do is put a bigger cooler on it to make the most of that.

A Hyper 212 won't produce boost clocks as high as a H100i Elite Capellix or H115i Pro XT.

joejackson700

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
Actually, it isn't. The Enermax cooler is the strongest air cooled offering.

It's not necessary to begin with. That cpu will push for higher clocks on its own - by design - and all you have to do is put a bigger cooler on it to make the most of that.

A Hyper 212 won't produce boost clocks as high as a H100i Elite Capellix or H115i Pro XT.
So are you saying the ENERMAX ETS-T50A would be ok for the 5800x or 5900x because although it will not be able to cool the chip as well, could the higher acceptable temps for the zen 3 chips allow it to be sufficient enough? Again, I don't want to be sacrificing the lifespan of the cpu chip.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

joejackson700

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOCrcOfTsLg

With the Intel power limits in place, cheaper coolers can work.
Remove those power limits, and they turn into infernos.

FYI, the power tables for 10th gen below:
I'm sorry, but I don't know what to make of that information. Does that mean that the 10900k or 10700k can be adequately cooled by one of the air-cooling cpu fans that CyberPowerPC.com sells?

I did already watch that video, but was concerned the Hyper 212 being about 10 degrees hotter, could be a problem.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's not ideal, but it doesn't turn into a disaster thanks to the power limits Intel put in place.
Catch is, people like to remove/raise those power limits.

This would be so easy if you'd just compromise on a 5600X or 10600K instead; either would be a more appropriate match for something like a Hyper 212.
I don't think anyone would've batted an eye at either.

joejackson700

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
It's not ideal, but it doesn't turn into a disaster thanks to the power limits Intel put in place.
Catch is, people like to remove/raise those power limits.

This would be so easy if you'd just compromise on a 5600X or 10600K instead; either would be a more appropriate match for something like a Hyper 212.
I don't think anyone would've batted an eye at either.
I would really like to have at least 8 cores for the hope that it would be more future proof than the 6 core 5600x. I really have considered the 5600x but I don't know. The one with the greater chance to last longer into the future for gaming is my primary decision-making factor. The 5600x does get higher fps in more games right now I think.
But if I ran 10900k or 10700k (without changing any of their power limits) on the ENERMAX ETS-T50A do you think chances are it would hurt the chip's lifespan?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2720853

I wouldn't run either of those chips with that cooler, especially the 10900K.

If you really want a custom-built from CyberPower, choose the cheapest cooler, have the PC delivered and buy an actually good aftermarket cooler which you will install yourself. I can tell you the Scythe Fuma 2 is compatible with the Phanteks P400A, and it's a good cooler.

NH-D15S may also fit, considering it's the same height as an ENERMAX ETS-T50A.