Question Which CPU for a certain GPU

bthelegend

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
Hello!

Generally speaking, how do you know which CPU to get for any GPU? I'm more into Intel but for knowledge would love to know for AMD too.

As an example, what CPU do I consider for EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW HYBRID GAMING 8GB GDDR5X VR Ready Graphics Card, 2560 Core, 1721MHz GPU, 1860MHz Boost?

Is there a hint that gives it away? I.e. cores, clock speed etc.

Many thanks!

Thre's no real connection between CPU and GPU performance wise, "bottlenecking" one component over the other is relative and only in broad sense. Basically you look at games you want to play and it's requirements at maximum settings for CPU and GPU. They usually go hand in hand. If you decide on a best GPU, it makes sense to also want best CPU while the other way may not be the case depending on usage. For some serious work CPU is more important while GPU may be just elementary one, enough to see picture on the screen.

Reactions: bthelegend

bthelegend

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
Thre's no real connection between CPU and GPU performance wise, "bottlenecking" one component over the other is relative and only in broad sense. Basically you look at games you want to play and it's requirements at maximum settings for CPU and GPU. They usually go hand in hand. If you decide on a best GPU, it makes sense to also want best CPU while the other way may not be the case depending on usage. For some serious work CPU is more important while GPU may be just elementary one, enough to see picture on the screen.
Love it! Thanks for the fast and great response!

No matter what GPU you have, most would agree that at least 6 cores are the new starting point around assembling any gaming rig as of late-2017 onward...

For AMD fans, the R5-1600 offers ridiculous value at the $80-$90 point, and the 2600X or 2700X (or OC'd 2600/2700) are both worthy targets. For Intel fans, most seem to be looking at 8700K/9700K/9900K despite their added expense...

Naturally, everyone is looking forward to seeing what AMD brings to the table with it's new improved 3000 series desktop CPUs (8 core, 12 core, 16 core?), possibly being announced later this month?

Reactions: bthelegend

bthelegend

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
No matter what GPU you have, most would agree that at least 6 cores are the new starting point around assembling any gaming rig as of late-2017 onward...

For AMD fans, the R5-1600 offers ridiculous value at the $80-$90 point, and the 2600X or 2700X (or OC'd 2600/2700) are both worthy targets. For Intel fans, most seem to be looking at 8700K/9700K/9900K despite their added expense...

Naturally, everyone is looking forward to seeing what AMD brings to the table with it's new improved 3000 series desktop CPUs (8 core, 12 core, 16 core?), possibly being announced later this month?
Nice, that certainly gives me something to think about or consider for cost! Would you say it's worth waiting to see what AMD brings to the party?