Question Which cpu for gaming.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The "Coffee Lake Refresh" will have a miniscule edge over the 8th gen i5. But you probably wouldn't notice it in real time. But when you compare a 8C/8T i7 to the 6C/6T CPUs, the performance gap increases, naturally. HT adds another performance increase.

Tomchew

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Hmm well I seen some benchmark videos with the i5 and i7 8700, they where not that far off from each other, sometimes the i5 would hit 100% usage and the i7 would be close behind. Not sure if the extra $300ish is worth it.

Not sure if the extra $300ish is worth it.
What kind of graphics hardware is going into the system? Typically, putting that money toward the graphics card would be a lot more beneficial to gaming performance in most titles.

If you don't intend to overclock, you might also consider the i7-8700 (non-k), as it offers the same stock boost clocks as an i5-9600K, only with SMT to better handle more than 6 threads, which could potentially be beneficial in future games if you plan on keeping the CPU for some years. The boost clocks are also nearly on par with the i7-8700K at stock settings.

Tomchew

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
What kind of graphics hardware is going into the system? Typically, putting that money toward the graphics card would be a lot more beneficial to gaming performance in most titles.

If you don't intend to overclock, you might also consider the i7-8700 (non-k), as it offers the same stock boost clocks as an i5-9600K, only with SMT to better handle more than 6 threads, which could potentially be beneficial in future games if you plan on keeping the CPU for some years. The boost clocks are also nearly on par with the i7-8700K at stock settings.

I got a 1080ti for a decent price that's what's going in, I'll probabaly have the cpu for awhile tho, I doubt they'll release anything amazing with the 1151 socket at this point, or I'll sell it just not too sure yet, see in 2 years or so lol. I'm also planning on playing at 1440.. maybe 144hz. I'll take a look at the non-k tho thanks.