Which CPU for video editing and gaming

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Good friend of mine needs some expert advice and I thought of this forum.
He is upgrading a system for video editing (Adobe Premier Pro), but he is also an avid gamer.
Priority needs to be editing, which is not currently any RAW, but he does some 4K. Also, not sure if any of that is important for recommendation. He has a GTX 1070.

Any assistance trying to figure if its i7, R7, Threadripper, etc, etc.

Thanks very much in advance.

Solution
I mean, sure. He could do that. But his mileage may vary. Honestly, threadripper is just not good for gaming and will hinder the performance of his GTX 1070.

If he were to overclock the R7 then it's performance in both gaming and video editing would be even better and would be nothing to scoff at.

With the R7 and a nice cooler he can overclock the CPU nicely and get performance I'm sure he would be genuinely happy with.

Here's the new list of parts for that budget you provided.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($309.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($145.59 @ OutletPC)...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
best for gaming is high end latest i7.
best for video editing is threadripper.
better mix of the two with moderate gaming and video editing would be R7 2700/2700x.

If he can afford the extreme edition 9th gen CPU's then those would offer best gaming and video editing mix (still not better than threadripper for editing alone) being better than the R7, but in my opinion not worth the extreme cost.

If he is an avid gamer but needs CPU power for video editing at the same time then my recommendation would be to go with R7 2700 or 2700x
only difference that matters being higher base clock on the X version, but when overclocking they are the same. The X does come with a couple extra little technical things internally, but it's more like extra PCIe lane support or slightly higher L2/L3 cache, etc. but not enough to make a huge difference. So it's up to him whether or not he wants to spend the extra $50 for the X varient.

Be noted though, should only use B450 or X470 chipset motherboard.
anything lower end shouldn't be considered, especially for some overclocking.

I personally feel a B450 motherboard is more than enough for some overclocking past 4Ghz (assuming he uses a decent cooler) and will of course have all the standard features you need for other hardware in the system.

Here's the parts he's gonna need.
He can of course not purchase any RAM if he already has a system that uses DDR4 memory. But if he's still on DDR3 then he needs to get the RAM.

In this list below I have provided the recommended CPU and Motherboard.

In regards to the RAM, I put in both 16GB kit and 32GB kit for him to choose from.
If doing video editing of 4K projects, I would advise having 32GB of RAM. Although 16GB is enough, it's not ideal.

Also provided a cooler recommendation if he feels he want's to try overclocking the CPU past 4GHz since anything past that will be too much for the stock cooler it comes with.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor ($264.90 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($93.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($249.99 @ Newegg Business)
Total: $828.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-05 16:37 EST-0500

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

Thanks very much for the reply; a follow up question if you don't mind.
Would the Threadripper be better at editing as it has more cores and threads?
I just want to try and understand the trade offs.

Here is what he has for a system so far: Note: monitor

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NP2Cq4
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NP2Cq4/by_merchant/

Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($0.00)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($0.00)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($0.00)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($0.00)
Monitor: LG - 34UM59-B 34.0" 2560x1080 75Hz Monitor ($0.00)
Total: $0.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-05 16:40 EST-0500

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

Wow, thanks for the concise reply......
If I understand you correctly you are not recommending the Threadripper or the new i9 as the performance editing doesn't justify the cost?
I just want to assure him that not investing in an expensive CPU (Threadripper or i9) is the right thing to do.
But the R7-2700X will be better for editing than the current i7's will be, but will perform adequately for gaming.
If that is the case it sounds like the best of both worlds!!

Thanks for the parts list as well.....he will also need a PSU and case (I suggested the FD Define R6 as its quiet)....any suggestions?

Again, thank you very much for the comprehensive response.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
no. I am saying that the 9th gen i7 extreme edition is not worth the cost even though it's better in single core and hyperthreading performance than an R7 2700/2700x.

The threadripper isn't going to be as good at gaming due to the way it's made and what it is made for, but it will be the best for video editing.

Since he want's both, the best option for a CPU that does both well and doesn't cost an arm and leg, is the R7 2700/2700x.

If he is serious about video editing in 4k and has the budget, here's my recommended build.
Since I don't know his budget, I have opted for the Focus G case since it is well designed and has good case air flow.
But he can of course shop around and look at something nicer if he has the budget for it.

And of course I say it again, if he isn't going to overclock past 4Ghz on the CPU, then the stock cooler will be fine, but if he want's to overclock a bit higher, he will need the cooler I've provided. He can of course opt for a high end air cooler, but then he needs to make sure he has the proper amount of clearance for both side panel, and RAM.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($93.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($249.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($0.00)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($0.00)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.20 @ Amazon)
Monitor: LG - 34UM59-B 34.0" 2560x1080 75Hz Monitor ($0.00)
Total: $837.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-05 16:55 EST-0500

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018

The Threadripper line would certainly give a big boost in productivity, but at the expense of gaming. It's all about what matters more to your friend. Also, what's your budget for the complete build?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

Ah, ok perhaps I don't know what an i7 extreme edition is....I thought you were referencing the new i9-9900k.
Will the Threadripper perform 'adequately' for gaming?
How much better will the Threadripper be at editing than the R7 you suggested?
I am trying to gauge relative magnitude of the compromise between the Threadripper and R7.
Also, I am assuming no intel cpus are considered because of their lower editing performance?

Thanks again for sticking with me on this.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

Well, his business is video editing, so that is the priority, but he would like to be able to game with the system as well.
I guess I need some help trying to discern what better means in terms of how the Threadripper would perform for games relative to the R7, etc. etc.

Thanks for the help

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
What I'm about to say is by no means reflective of actual performance and is instead meant to be just an example to put into perspective.

Since Intel is in my opinion out of the question due to the cost to performance ratio vs the 2700/2700x being way too high I will give example between R7 2700/2700x and Threadripper.

Basically, an R7 2700 will have better single core performance than the threadripper making it better for gaming. But the threadripper has magnitudes better hyperthreaded performance making it loads better for synthetic loads like video editing.

In more relative terms: (and again, just an example and NOT reflective of real world performance)

R7 2700 gets 100fps in games and can render out a 4K 30minute video in 10 minutes.
Threadripper gets 60fps in games but can render out a 4K 30minute video in 6.5 minutes.

That would be the general comparison. Threadripper is much better with stuff like video editing and rendering out a video, but it's gaming performance suffers and isn't a good choice for gaming at all.

Since he want's to do both, the R7 2700/2700x is what he should be choosing to go with.

He will get good performance in both gaming and video editing. Just not the absolute best in either since better gaming would require the Intel processor at the cost of hyperthreaded performance, and better video editing would require the threadripper at the cost of single core gaming performance.

So the best balance between the two is the R7 2700/2700x

Also, you say his budget is around $1500, that's just for the new parts and not his starting budget that he has already spent some money of on the current parts he has?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

This is great! I needed some way to communicate the relative differences so that he could make an informed decision.
So will he be able to play games with the Threadripper, even at lower FPS and resolution?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I mean, sure. He could do that. But his mileage may vary. Honestly, threadripper is just not good for gaming and will hinder the performance of his GTX 1070.

If he were to overclock the R7 then it's performance in both gaming and video editing would be even better and would be nothing to scoff at.

With the R7 and a nice cooler he can overclock the CPU nicely and get performance I'm sure he would be genuinely happy with.

Here's the new list of parts for that budget you provided.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($309.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($145.59 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($86.49 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($97.70 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1059.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-05 17:26 EST-0500

Solution

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I just ran your analysis past him, and he feels that he needs the video performance more than the gaming...even if he is gimped (FPS and resolution). His rationale is that his current system based on a i7-980x 3.3GHz on a Supermicro X8SAX MB provides enough game performance.

Would you mind suggesting a Threadripper build based on what he has?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I should note that one of the reasons threadripper is not good for gaming is due to the fact that it has so many cores and the other fact that it has two separate CPU dies inside that communicate with each other.

When the core count goes above a certain number, it tends to break games.
Especially games that aren't really optimized to use CPU's with high amount of cores and high amount of threads.

To top this off, with it having two CPU's inside, this confuses a lot of games even more and tends to break them.

So while you can game on a threadripper, it's not recommended since it will break a lot of games or just perform extremely poorly.

And for those few games that it doesn't break on it performs sub average. The only exception being the like 2 or 3 games out there right now that have been developed to work with and take advantage of higher CPU core counts and higher thread counts and were made to work on threadripper.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

Oh....that is a game changer...no pun intended.
Just spoke with him and he agrees that the overclocked R7 is the way to go.
He, or I didn't understand that the Threadripper just isn't compatible with gaming.
What I was attempting to communicate is that he likes gaming but is ready and willing to lower his expectations so that he can have a better editing machine....not give up gaming.

So the last parts list you suggested is one where the R7 can be overclocked...as well as the RAM?

And again, please forgive the repetition....thank you, thank you.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if he has a separate system he will be gaming on, and this system will be used solely for video editing, then here's a threadripper build.

He could opt to get the 2950x instead of the 1950x if he want's to spend an extra $200.
Not worth it in my opinion for the minor improvements.

I opted for a 4 stick kit instead of a 2 stick kit so he can take advantage of quad channel memory.

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($650.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($154.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX TR4 Motherboard ($305.78 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($97.70 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1566.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-05 17:44 EST-0500

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018

Assuming he keeps his 1070, here's one

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

@xSimply, you really helped us work through this.
Just the fact that you stuck with me on this is commendable.
It is very difficult to understand the tradeoffs if one is not very familiar with each factor, but you made it clear that he would essentially have to give up gaming on a threadripper machine.

FWIW, what is your opinion of the FD Define R6? It is quiet plus has lots of room....and fans.

Again, kudos to you...

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

Thank you.....it seems that the best compromise is to go with the R7-2700X CPU, (which I believe you suggested earlier) as the threadripper apparently is just not compatible with gaming. It is one thing to gimp games to have better editing performance, quite another to have to give it up.....no?

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018

Well its performance isn't the best, but I've never heard of it being not compatible. Where are you getting that from?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

It was noted above......

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
While it can have issues in games, you can of course still use threadripper.
I will say this instead then to help clarify even more.

If using threadripper, you must always enable game mode in AMD software to make it work like it should, but doing this makes it bad at everything else compared to when game mode is off.

(Do not confuse this "game mode" with windows game mode.)

So whenever gaming, he must manually enable game mode in settings then disable it when he goes back to video editing.

On top of this, for those games that are a bit older and just don't want to play nice with the TR, along with having game mode enabled, you will have to disable some cores for those older games that don't play nicely.

And then for those games that just don't want to play nicely at all then obviously those games just aren't going to be playable.

But when disabling cores, you need to of course remember to enable them when going back to doing anything else.

I'll be honest, I forgot that AMD released the "Game Mode" function to make it work with games.

And just for reference, game mode essentially halves the cores by disabling one half of the CPU (essentially turning off the second die) so that it acts like a single die 8 core 16 thread CPU.

In this case, he can spend the money on the TR and can go with either my TR config, or with 2side's config. (although 2side's config includes the other stuff you listed that your friend already has into the budget. Which means it doesn't utilize your friends budget well. which leads me to ask yet again, is this $1500 budget exclusively for these upgrade parts not including what you already listed?)