[SOLVED] Which CPU, GPU, and Monitor Should I get for gaming and video editing

Feb 18, 2019
I plan to replace my PC after I finish graduate school either this spring or early summer dependent on the recommended components that are suggested. I am both a gamer and drone pilot and my next PC will be both for gaming and drone video editing so the usage will likely be 50% gaming and 50% video editing. For gaming, I like to play a variety of games. I like playing older titles like Transformers, Mass Effect and Crysis Trilogies, and even games from the 1980s and 1990s like the Kings Quest series and Loom. I would also like the PC to play modern games like MMO and FPS in both current and future releases for the next few years. For video editing, I plan to edit drone videos by mainly rearranging and combining parts of videos for clients and adding basic titles and graphics. I am not planning any Hollywood studio level video editing, but my drone is capable of shooting video in 4K so I would like my PC to handle 4K video editing. My questions are as followed:

1. CPU: I have heard Intel is better for gaming while AMD is better for video editing. Since my gaming and video editing will likely be split in half, am I better off with Intel or AMD? If AMD is recommended, should I wait until they release their new Ryzen CPU this summer?
  2. GPU: I am willing to go with an Nvidia RTX 2080/2080 Ti if that will better suite my needs. I understand that both Nvidia RXT and Radeon VII are somewhat struggling with 4K gaming resolution so my intention is to game at either 1080p or 1440p (which ever resolution it is that falls between 1080p and 4K). I would like the GPU to be able to handle running two monitors if I decide to do a dual monitor setup. Would I be better off with Nvidia or Radeon?
  3. Monitor: My intention is to get a 4K monitor or possibly two of them. You can correct me if I am wrong, but I assume they are capable of displaying lower resolutions like 1080p and 1440p? Could you please recommend a reliable 4K Nvidia G-Sync monitor and a reliable 4K Freesync monitor that works with both Radeon and Nvidia? I would also like the monitor(s) to have HDR capability and work well with both games and video editing.
  4. PCIE 4.0: I am hearing rumors that PCIE 4.0 may be released later this year. My desire is after 18 months to two years to upgrade the GPU in order to extend the life of the PC. If the motherboard I get uses PCIE 3.0 and the next graphics card uses the PCIE 4.0 standard, would I run into a bottleneck issue?
  5. If I went for the top end intel i7 or i9 CPU along with an RTX 2080 Ti, would I run into a bottleneck issue if I upgraded to the 2080 Ti's successor (like RTX 3080 Ti?) in 18 months to two years?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
1. Either CPU manufacturer will suit your needs. It would be good to wait to see what Ryzen 3xxx does with 7nm process tech.
2/3. 1440p is going to be your best bet since it also offers high refresh rates. 1440p is good at 27-32" sizes. Right now Nvidia has the upper hand since the Radeon VII sits between the RTX2070 and 2080. That being said, an RTX2080 is about as high as you need to go for 1440p gaming. It will be interesting to see what AMD's RX3xxx Navi GPUs do in the mid-tier.
  1. PCIe 4.0 is a connectivity upgrade. Most/all GPUs don't even need 8 lanes of PCIe 3.0 (you can google performance differences). PCIe 4.0 simply allows the CPU to provide more bandwidth to connected devices, like multiple SSDs. You don't need...
1. Either CPU manufacturer will suit your needs. It would be good to wait to see what Ryzen 3xxx does with 7nm process tech.
2/3. 1440p is going to be your best bet since it also offers high refresh rates. 1440p is good at 27-32" sizes. Right now Nvidia has the upper hand since the Radeon VII sits between the RTX2070 and 2080. That being said, an RTX2080 is about as high as you need to go for 1440p gaming. It will be interesting to see what AMD's RX3xxx Navi GPUs do in the mid-tier.
  1. PCIe 4.0 is a connectivity upgrade. Most/all GPUs don't even need 8 lanes of PCIe 3.0 (you can google performance differences). PCIe 4.0 simply allows the CPU to provide more bandwidth to connected devices, like multiple SSDs. You don't need to upgrade GPU simply because it doesn't have PCIe 4.0. Also, remember, PCIe 4.0 originates from the CPU, so if your CPU doesn't have PCIe 4.0, then your system never will.
  2. No

(Not sure why the system is messing up my numbering)

Last edited:
Solution