Which cpu is better amd am3+ chip or fm2+?

jdluver21

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
Hi I am wanting to build a 600 gaming computer and when I come to the cpu I hit a brick wall. I want to stay with AMD and I've been eyeing the fx 6300 or a similar 110 dollar cpu on the fm2+ layout. I just would like to know which one you think would be better and would last a longer. If you are a Intel person let me know which one you would choose and why because I haven't looked much at Intel. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

logainofhades

Titan
I would not recommend AMD, unless you live near a Microcenter, as their motherboard combos are impossible to beat. AM3+ is a dead socket, uses more power and is slower. It has to be overclocked to compete, and that costs more money yet. FM2+ is more entry level yet and not very good either. Does this budget include Windows?

i would recommend you get i3 for 109$. the am3+ socket ends with the fx 8350(face it the 9xxxx series sucks). Intel has much better performance and no need to lower the prices since amd went with apu's or the fm2+ socket cpu's. the best apu they have is weak compared to a i3 at stock speeds

CDdude55

Distinguished
FM2+ is really APU oriented it's aimed for entry level users that want a lower put system with onboard graphics. I don't agree with what logainofhades said about AM3+ being a dead socket, it's their current main platform socket and there are a lot of great chips available on it. Especially for those on a budget.

There are some decent Intel chips in that price range and core performance is generally better as well, even though the there are less cores. I'd probably go with Intel largely because even if you get a low end haswell chip you'll still have an 1150 board and there are a lot of good upgrade options to go towards.

exaactly one of the reasons i recommend a i3. a i3 has HT for better performance(10-30% depending on application) and if you choose a h97/z97(z97 are the ones that overclock) you can upgrade to a i5/i7 or broadwell this fall.

jdluver21

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014

Thank you so much for your reply with a reasoning of why you'd choose an intel over an amd processor. Your knowledge will help me alot!
Thanks!

jdluver21

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014

Yes the 600 dollars includes the os so really there is only about 500 bucks for hard ware. Thank you for your reply it is much appreciated.

jdluver21

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014

Thanks for helping me out with this issue of mine I think I'm going to go for the intel side of things would you know of any good motherboards that will be under 80 bucks and will have everything that is essential to a motherboard?
Thanks again!!!!

if you want overclocking a cheap z97 mobo is about 80-90$ if you want no overclocking the h97 mobos can range from 70-90$

jdluver21

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014

I found the ASRock Z97 Anniversary mobo so if you have any opinions about that they will be appreciated but one of my other questions is would it worth going with the G3220 for 60 bucks and wait for the broadwell because I will only be doing light gaming like minecraft and some simulation games and surfing the web.
Thanks again!

well if you can afford a i3 it would be better. but if your just doing minecraft and surfing the anniversiy is best then upgrade to broadwell this fall or when you feel you need it. the pentilum actually just had its 10yr anniversiry so that mobo is perfect. lol

logainofhades

Titan
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($112.09 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($51.38 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Enthusiast Edition Video Card ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($19.94 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $610.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-08 11:20 EDT-0400