which cpu is good for gaming ?

sam002fc

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2014
hello i like to step up from my i3 but really dont know which cpu will fit concurrent gaming need i will play games in mostly 1080p by vsr cuz i have a r9 270 which is quite a decent cpu
so which cpu will do good i have 2 of them comes uner my $
1. Amd FX 8320 cpu
2. Intel i5 3470 plz note that if i fetch that i wont have to change my mobo and if i get the 8 core one will it benefit in gaming
really in a fix and confused plz suggest best one
my ram is 8gb and psu is corsair cx600 v2
thanks

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
You may want to look at the benchmarks for the games you are interested in, but I would recommend the Intel because on a core by core basis, it is a stronger processor (I think, as I mentioned, check the benchmark for your games).

Current games do not take advantage of multicore setups very well. It may use a core or two, but not 4 or even 8. So if you are looking for gaming, look for the performance of one of it's cores.

That used to be 100% accurate but more and more games are calling for quad core processors, even though there are equally clocked dual core CPU's.

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

Eh.. not really. No one has been able to demonstrate really good threading in gaming. It's very, very hard to write. If by "call for" you mean by the recommended specs, that's for other reasons, such as typical and top clock rate, cache, instruction set/design, etc. In his instance, the per core performance is the most important. Since the games will not be using 6 cores of his AMD selection, its much better to have 1 or 2 more powerful processors rather than 6 weaker ones.

hamzahfelix

Distinguished
The octo core fx, though superior in number of cores to the i5 (double), will always be inferior to any i5 of your socket in gaming performance. This is because the i5 has superior cpu architecture. And no overclocking of the fx8320 can change that.