Which CPU is recommended for LGA1156 socket

IIIAbhishekIII

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
I have "Intel® Desktop Board DH55TC" motherboard, full details can be found here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dh55tc.html

What CPU is recommended to avoid bottleneck issues with high end graphic card? There are many i7 processors for LGA1156 socket, I'm not sure what should I choose. After reading some guides here, I think "Intel® Core™ i5-750 Processor (8M Cache, 2.66 GHz)" is not suitable for gaming as it doesn't have multi threading support.

What CPU (with exact model number) do you recommend?
Compatible processors can be found here:
http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?BoardName=DH55TC

Should I buy the new processor or used?

I already have Intel Core i3 530 @ 2.93 GHz. Which looks similar to this:
1132307-a.jpg

Should I buy only processor chip or whole new box?

if I buy any processor other than "Intel Core i3 530" which is currently installed, do I have to replace the processor chip only or I have to replace whole unit with that fan and metallic thing?

Games I'm going to play:
GTA IV, GTA V
Tomb Raider Reboot
Far Cry 3
Uncharted series
Resident Evil 6

Graphic Cards I'm going to buy:
GTX 750 Ti OR R9 270
OR
R9 285
(Note: I've one 6 pin and one 8pin cables only, so also tell me if these graphic card do support these kind of power supply, I checked some websites but couldn't find the information I was looking for)

My Power Supply, I hope upgrading CPU won't crash my power supply.
nW4QcNz.jpg

Update: I think I'll buy a new processor instead of used processors to avoid any problems. One more question, should I also purchase thermal paste to apply on CPU? or I should just pop it in like a puzzle game and I'm done. I'm also watching some online videos to see the installation process. but your tips and suggestions will be appreciated :)

Solution
These model numbers should be a nice upgrade to your system. I still don't know about the reliability of your PSU but since it has a 6 pin PCI power connector it will at the least be capable of being compatible with the card. I realize you probably won't be able to buy from these vendors that are linked to but you can get the model numbers and find them or similar items locally. This CPU has multi-threading and a fairly decent clock speed. The GPU is also within your PSU rated power category. The combination should game much, much better than your current setup.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-680 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($282.53 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA...
That "metallic thing" is called a heatsink and it's part of the CPU cooler. A new heatsink and fan should come with the processor in most cases. You should always buy new unless you know the person you are buying the used cpu for or have very good reason to trust them. Anybody selling you a used cpu can simply say you did something wrong if it doesn't work.

Upgrading the CPU isn't that much of an issue with the power supply, however, if you are going to install a new graphics card you need a power supply than is a reliable quality unit. Actually, in all cases you need a good PSU and that PSU isn't well known to me. I can't find much information on it either. It is a 22A unit and you need at least a 28Amp unit for the R9 270. The 750 TI calls for 20 amps on the +12 volt rail so on paper it should work for that GPU but considering this is probably an older PSU that's been around the block a few times, I would not trust it with my new hardware.

Also, for the price of the compatible processors, I wouldn't recommend any of them. For that price you can get a newer i5 processor that would be much better for gaming. You would need a new motherboard though. If you had to go with one of those i5 cpus I would think the i5-680 would be the only one worth upgrading to considering the cost, but you can get an i5-4690k which is a much, much better cpu for less than the cost of that. If you could swing a bit more in your budget you could upgrade the processor, motherboard and gpu for a seriously better system without spending all that much more than what you're looking at with just the upgrade you had in mind. What country are you in?

IIIAbhishekIII

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Also, for the price of the compatible processors, I wouldn't recommend any of them. For that price you can get a newer i5 processor that would be much better for gaming. You would need a new motherboard though. If you had to go with one of those i5 cpus I would think the i5-680 would be the only one worth upgrading to considering the cost, but you can get an i5-4690k which is a much, much better cpu for less than the cost of that. If you could swing a bit more in your budget you could upgrade the processor, motherboard and gpu for a seriously better system without spending all that much more than what you're looking at with just the upgrade you had in mind. What country are you in?

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm from India. The PSU may not be the best, I'm not sure. I just ordered at the local store. I paid $1200 for my build, I may be scammed but I can't do much as I bought this in 2009. If changing power supply, motherboard, CPU, GPU is required then building a new gaming PC is a much better idea. I don't want to waste money all over again :S but if there's a chance of upgrading this old machine then I'll do it :) I really appreciate all the information you gave me, can you please recommend me a good graphic card that support current PSU and processor. I just want to replace processor and graphic card for the maximum gaming performance (as much as possible)

Sorry about that, I spaced it out. You never got back with me regarding what your budget was either. I also need to know where you are located so I can locate parts that will be available to you in your region or if you have a particular online retailer you are able to order from, let me know what that is.

IIIAbhishekIII

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
You never got back with me regarding what your budget was either.

Budget is 20,000 INR to 30,000 INR only if I get value for money / really good performance.

I also need to know where you are located so I can locate parts that will be available to you in your region or if you have a particular online retailer you are able to order from, let me know what that is.
I'm from India and I can order from amazon, ebay or other retailers as well :)

I badly need new CPU and GPU. I don't want to relplace motherboard/PSU, it will be so hard for me to do that and it's same as building new PC :)

I'm not sure what GPU will support my power supply, you said GTA 750 TI is not compatible so I'm not sure what would be the right choice. I'm not expert in power supply, voltage, electricity stuff :)

These model numbers should be a nice upgrade to your system. I still don't know about the reliability of your PSU but since it has a 6 pin PCI power connector it will at the least be capable of being compatible with the card. I realize you probably won't be able to buy from these vendors that are linked to but you can get the model numbers and find them or similar items locally. This CPU has multi-threading and a fairly decent clock speed. The GPU is also within your PSU rated power category. The combination should game much, much better than your current setup.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-680 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($282.53 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $412.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-13 02:55 EDT-0400

Solution

IIIAbhishekIII

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card
Thank you so much! This graphic card is amazing, I did so much research and you're really an expert! I love you man! Thank you for this, I paid for it online, can't wait until it arrive :)

CPU: Intel Core i5-680 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor
3.6GHz is speedy processor but at the same price I can get "Intel Core i7-870 Processor 2.93 GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1156". This i7 processor has 4 cores and Hyper-Threading Technology. So, please help me chose between that i5 and that i7. I don't want to browse internet or do photoshop, my goal is to play games! :)

Either of those is massively better than what you have now and will be a definite improvement for you in gaming. I think you'll see better performance using the faster clock speed of the i5 which does also have hyper-threading support so it can run 4 threads and looks like 4 cores to the system, but the i7 has 4 cores with 8 threads and and performs much, much better in memory intensive applications.

If the game title is one that relies heavily on system memory, the i7 will out perform it. If the game title is one that doesn't rely much on system memory, but instead tends to take advantage of the GPU memory more and only wants a fast single thread, the i5 will win. So basically, each of those CPUs will likely perform better in some games than the other. Either one will blow your i3 clean out of the water for gaming so whichever is cheaper for you is a good choice.