[SOLVED] Which CPU should I choose ? Please Help

Dec 9, 2020
Hello People

I want to buy a Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny Desktop PC but I have to choose one these two CPUs

First One:
8th Generation - Intel Core i5-8500T (HexaCore 2,1 GHz bis Max Turbo 3,5 GHz, 9MB L3-Cache + 512 SSD + 16GB RAM) - No Hyper Threading

Seconde One:
7th Generation - Intel Core i7-7700 (QuadCore 3,6 GHz bis Max Turbo 4,2 GHz, 8MB L3-Cache + 512 SSD + 16GB RAM) - With Hyper Threading

I'm really confused, I'm looking to buy best performance out of the two PCs. should I go with the newer i5 or the older i7

Please share your opinion
thanks

Solution
So, this is more than just "which CPU is better". A LOT more.

On the surface, the 7700 is the better choice, because it has better single and multicore performance, but that can't be your only consideration and if it IS then that is the CPU you want to go with. There is however, no where at all to go if you decide you want to upgrade the CPU down the road. There is the 7700k but the performance gain between the two would not be enough to be worth the cost, it would be very minimal, so if you go with the i7-7700 it is basically as good as it is ever going to get.

Going with the 8500T, if you have ANY desire to potentially upgrade the CPU down the road, might be a better choice because there are a number of higher performing CPUs for...

On the surface, the 7700 is the better choice, because it has better single and multicore performance, but that can't be your only consideration and if it IS then that is the CPU you want to go with. There is however, no where at all to go if you decide you want to upgrade the CPU down the road. There is the 7700k but the performance gain between the two would not be enough to be worth the cost, it would be very minimal, so if you go with the i7-7700 it is basically as good as it is ever going to get.

Going with the 8500T, if you have ANY desire to potentially upgrade the CPU down the road, might be a better choice because there are a number of higher performing CPUs for that generation available that would substantially increase the performance of that system. Seems like a waste to buy into a system that from the start might need an upgrade though so it would be wise to determine WHAT, EXACTLY, this system is to be used for and what country you are in as well as what sort of a budget you have to work with?

Reactions: agmkonto
Solution
Dec 9, 2020

Going with the 8500T, if you have ANY desire to potentially upgrade the CPU down the road, might be a better choice because there are a number of higher performing CPUs for that generation available that would substantially increase the performance of that system. Seems like a waste to buy into a system that from the start might need an upgrade though so it would be wise to determine WHAT, EXACTLY, this system is to be used for and what country you are in as well as what sort of a budget you have to work with?

thank you very much for your reply and explanation. It's truly helpful
I do want to do an upgrade after a while so I have chosen to go with first choice with i5-8500T

thank you again for helping me out in decision

You are welcome.

There are probably other considerations as well. How much memory does each system come with? Do each of these systems include a graphics card or integrated graphics only? If they include a gx card, what card? What sort of storage options are included with each system? These are all things you might also want to consider AND you might actually want to REALLY consider if buying a prebuilt system of this type is actually the best option for you or not. These prebuilt systems are not particularly friendly to upgrades in most cases, with replacement motherboards, power supplies and cooling options being entirely limited to the OEM styles that the system came with because of the use of proprietary hardware, rather than standardized hardware that can be replaced with any number of aftermarket options.