[SOLVED] Which CPU should I chose please help!

kennytodd

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Hey everyone, I’m new to PC building and I need help. I cannot chose what processor to choose, Im looking to play fairly demanding games as well as stream them off the PC. My options are the i7-8700k 6 core/12 thread, or the i7-9700k 8 core/8 thread. One has more threads, other has more cores, can someone help me chose for my application? Thanks I am not 100% knowledgeable on the benefits of the either.

I think however, that they removed hyper threading from the 9th generation i7 CPUs. So to get that, you'd need either to go with the 8700 or a new i9.

You mention wanting to stream as well. Have you considered an AMD ryzen setup? Something like the 2700x? The Intel CPUs will be slightly ahead in gaming, but the 2700 or 2700x are both 8 core, 16 thread parts. For streaming, either of those should be great.

Found a Reddit discussion on this very topic which may help you as well.

View: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/8ghqy3/need_to_upgrade_my_cpu_ryzen_2700x_or_i78700k_for/#ampf=undefined

I also would mention that another reason to go with the AMD setup is that Intel tends to change sockets every other year or so. So when you want an upgrade, you are buying a whole new motherboard/cpu etc. Whereas AMD has stated they will support socket am4 into 2020. So you could start with the system now, then in a year or 2, if you decide you need more power, you might be able to just do a bios update, then drop in a ryzen 3000 or 4000 series CPU (which I might add, leaks for the 3000 series look promising).

Reactions: WildCard999

BringerOfTea

Reputable
I think however, that they removed hyper threading from the 9th generation i7 CPUs. So to get that, you'd need either to go with the 8700 or a new i9.

You mention wanting to stream as well. Have you considered an AMD ryzen setup? Something like the 2700x? The Intel CPUs will be slightly ahead in gaming, but the 2700 or 2700x are both 8 core, 16 thread parts. For streaming, either of those should be great.

Found a Reddit discussion on this very topic which may help you as well.

View: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/8ghqy3/need_to_upgrade_my_cpu_ryzen_2700x_or_i78700k_for/#ampf=undefined

I also would mention that another reason to go with the AMD setup is that Intel tends to change sockets every other year or so. So when you want an upgrade, you are buying a whole new motherboard/cpu etc. Whereas AMD has stated they will support socket am4 into 2020. So you could start with the system now, then in a year or 2, if you decide you need more power, you might be able to just do a bios update, then drop in a ryzen 3000 or 4000 series CPU (which I might add, leaks for the 3000 series look promising).

Ever see I I3 9th generation CPU? they just shifted from I3/I5/I7 to I5/I7/I9... with previously hyperthreading being reserved to the top of the pop.

Oct 4, 2018
Hey everyone, I’m new to PC building and I need help. I cannot chose what processor to choose, Im looking to play fairly demanding games as well as stream them off the PC. My options are the i7-8700k 6 core/12 thread, or the i7-9700k 8 core/8 thread. One has more threads, other has more cores, can someone help me chose for my application? Thanks I am not 100% knowledgeable on the benefits of the either.
For gaming, your money will be better spent on the GPU.The 6 cores will be able to squeeze any GPU, so instead of putting more money for an 8 cores, spend it on the GPU.