[SOLVED] Which CPU should I get, the Ryzen 7 2700 or the 2700x?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Joeseph Orlando

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
At first I wanted to get the 2700x, until I saw the TDP. I'm worried about high temps as well as high electric bills. :/ So then I thought I'd get the 2700, buuut it seems pretty silly since I can get way more performance for just an extra 20-30$ more. But again, I'm worried about the temps and bills. Any advice? I'm also not planning to overclock, nor install an aftermarket cooler. I'm planning to run it at stock speed with stock cooler.

Also, these are my current system specs, some of which I'll be using in the new Ryzen build.

i7 4790k

GTX 1070 (will be transferred to new build)

8GB DDR3 RAM (My 16GB Corsair Vengeance just failed on me for the second time! Hope I can RMA it again and I'll never buy another Corsair product as long as I live!)

EVGA 750w SuperNova G2 (Will be transferred to new build also)

1x SSD
2x HDDs - 1x 4TB (For games) 1x 500GB (For storage such as pictures, videos, media, backup drive etc. I had it lying around so why not use it to save some extra space for games?)
1x Optical drive (Yes, I still use one in 2019 XD)

*All storage drives and optical drive will be transferred to the new build as well.

Not sure if any of this information is necessary, but it's there in case anyone asks. Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Also, please don't tell me to just "get a 3000 series!" It's tempting but I really don't want to spend that much right now. Although I may get a mobo that supports it after a bios update in case I want to upgrade in the future. :p

Last edited:

Joeseph Orlando

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Yes it does but not nearly to the same effect since only the X cpus have the extra-high clock speed boosts that PBO exploits.

PBO even works on Ryzen 1000 series non-X CPU's. If you can call it 'working' since there's nothing to get them to boost to so the effect is extremely limited.

Okay but I don't want this thing hitting 80C in freakin' Battlefield or something.

Okay but I don't want this thing hitting 80C in freakin' Battlefield or something.
What GPU are you running this with? About the only way you should put any serious stress on either 2700X OR 2700 in BF is if you're running a 2080ti at 1080p while letting FPS max out. Even a 1700 is virtually idling on BF1 @ 1080p on my 1700 system...although that is with an RX480.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, I agree. I was responding to the notion that the 2700X is the same as a 2700 but with higher clock speeds, therefore all else being equal it will run hotter. My point is that 'all else', i.e. the cooler, is not equal. I don't know how the coolers compare, but it's possible the 2700X could actually run cooler in at least some situations.

Lancelotsan

Commendable
Jul 8, 2019
I'm sorry for asking you this question:

But how much ryzen 7 2700 and 2700x better than i7-4790k that you have to upgrade your PC.

Actually I want to upgrade my old PC,too. But I still confuse between i7-4790k and ryzen7 2700.