Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
I currently have

I5 4690k at stock
Asus z97 maximius ranger iiv
16gb ddr3 Corsair
MSI gtx 980ti
Xfx core edition 850watt PSU

Is it worth me upgrading to a i7 4790k would that be a better processor when using it with a gtx 1080ti when i upgrade this year

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
I'd say it depends what you're doing and how much you can get the 4790K for. If you're just gaming i would wait on the i5 for now and move to a newer socket later this year perhaps when Ryzen 5 and Coffee Lake are out which means you will need a new socket but it will have a wide range of selection of good CPUs and you can upgrade to DDR4 RAM. If you are having issues with the i5 being a bottleneck or you do some intense streaming and or editing then the 4790K should help quite a bit so i would grab one IF it will costs you less than ~$150 to upgrade from your current, i wouldn't spend more than that for the upgrade. Hope this helps :)

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
i5s are starting to show their age in gaming. While still a decent CPU more and more games like Ghost Recon Wildlands, Watch Dogs 2, BF1 and more are starting to use every thread you throw their way. If you can get a cheap i7 4790K I'd say do it. Or if you can afford it when the R5s launch pick up a 6C/12T part. It will be far more future proof. While the Ryzen chips trail kaby/skylake in gaming I do believe that gap will be closed in the next few months with bios/game/microcode patches. Even if it isn't closed the gap is not that big and the extra cores/threads are worth it in the long run. Plus Intel will have to answer with more then just price cuts. I believe by the end of the year Intel will have mainstream 6C/12T parts to compete better with AMD which will spurn game devs to use more and more cores/threads in their games. It is all a question of how long you want to wait and how much you wish to spend on a CPU/platform upgrade.

The thing is, for the current price of an 4790K (aprox 279.99 last checked new) you can get a 6500/DDR3 MOBO and use your ram.
it is a little of a conundrum, and considering your 980ti is powerful plenty, cpu is all I see in need to upgrade. Yes the I5 is showing its age. I just upgraded mine this way, (4790K) and I have my old 4570 in a new station and well there is QUITE a difference between the two in speed is there a reason to upgrade from I5 to I7 ., hell yeah. but which way to go is the real question.
Amd is an option, no pricing or motherboards or choices... if your not in a hurry this could be for you.

what's your budget like ?

confused you say 700 for just item s listed or complete system with a 1080 cause just the 1080 is 600 quid mate. so I will assume no. card but rest yes so here is my suggestion.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£310.90 @ Alza)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X42 Liquid CPU Cooler (£105.46 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus TUF Z270 MARK 2 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£135.98 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£186.87 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £739.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-19 06:22 GMT+0000