Which CPU should I use?

strra

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
I know this probably gets posted quite often, but I am finding answers both ways on Google.. so I figured I'd ask the experts.
In my possession are a Core i5 650 and Phenom II x4 830.
CPUBoss says the i5 is better, but CPUBenchmark says the Phenom is better. Forum posts around the internet go both ways (but generally lean toward the i5)

Other than the CPU, the rest of the stuff going into the PC are (in case it helps with a decision):
Geforce GTX 560 TI
16 GB 12800 DDR3
128GB Kingston SSD
and a 1TB WD Black

Any words of wisdom?
Thanks!

dsr07mm

Distinguished
Never trust in those sites.

For what you actually want to use this PC ?

I5 650 is actually Dual Core processor but with hyper-threading which is making him quad core.
For single threaded apps Intel will perform much better (like atleast 50% better) while in multi-threaded AMD have some minimum advantage which I doubt that you will notice.

So its your preference. I doubt that you will get enjoyable performances in games with that GPU aswel so I assume that you are not using this for gaming. It's your choice in this one, now you know how both works in single and multi threaded apps.

Not sure about current price and do you have any limitation but I usually recommend minimum AMD Phenom II X4 965 for any sort of video editing/gaming - atleast (from AMD series).

strra

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

unfortunately, I'm not looking to spend any money. A new car is the top priority right now.
I will use it for light gaming. The card performs well enough when I do decide to play a game.
Other than that, lots of HD video, web browsing (of course), and maybe a little photo editing.