Dec 15, 2018
Im thinking of building a computer during summer for about 1200 euro, ive decided i want the rtx2060 (edited, was 2070 before) but i dont know which cpu to pair it with that will allow me to play any new game at 1080p 144hz. i'd also like to be able to stream/record with it. i have around 300 euro to spend on it.

https://be.pcpartpicker.com/user/ProBenji/saved/#view=qgbXvK
i wouldnt be surprised if i can get 100+ euro less on any of those seen as i was able to get 150 off of the ryzen build by snooping around.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
What does the rest of your build look like? List your proposed specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Our suggestion will also affect which board and ram combo you pick.
CPU:
Motherboard: will depend on the cpu
Ram: corsair vengeance lpx 2x8gb 3200mhz(if AMD cpu, otherwise 3000mhz)
SSD/HDD: reusing a m.2 256gb ssd and 1tb WD blue hdd
GPU: rtx2070 Armor 8gb
PSU: corsair cx550 bronze certified semi modular
Chassis: Cooler Master's mastercase h500 ATX mid tower

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
i got a 9900k and it's nothing special, like in the bios menu it's only 3.6ghz and i'm not sure how to oc it to 5

I explained this in the thread you started. Your 9900k is running at 3.6ghz because the motherboard is enforcing power limits on it so It doesn't go over TDP. It will run turbo all cores at 4.7ghz at all times if you set it up properly in the bios. You bought a terrible motherboard to pair with a 9900k even if you do set it up properly. Don't blame the CPU for your own ignorance.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Im thinking of building a computer during summer for about 1200 euro, ive decided i want the rtx2070 but i dont know which cpu to pair it with that will allow me to play any new game at 1080p 144hz. i'd also like to be able to stream/record with it. i have around 300 euro to spend on it

I'm not sure what the pricing difference between the 2060 and 2070 is in Europe but in the US a 2060 is a considerably better value. Depending on the game you'll need a really fast CPU and probably a faster GPU to push minimum 144 at 1080p. My recommendation would be to grab the best current intel K chip you can afford. Otherwise an 8700 (non k) will run at 4.3 all core turbo under load all the time if you set it up properly. You will want a z370/z390 board if you want overclocking and memory speeds faster than 2666. Be aware of compatibility between z370 and 9th gen CPUs. The parts are compatible but need a recent bios to work. The problem is with most boards you need a compatible CPU to update the bios.

Yeah, if you don't intend on overclocking, an 8700 (non-k) would probably be a good choice for around $300, as it has 6 cores with SMT to better handle up to 12 threads, which would likely help performance when streaming. It also has boost clocks that put it nearly on par with the 8700K at stock settings. You might need to replace the stock cooler with at least a 120mm tower cooler though, since the included one tends to not have the cooling performance to allow it to reach its maximum clocks much of the time.

...but i dont know which cpu to pair it with that will allow me to play any new game at 1080p 144hz.
No CPU will allow you to play every new game at 144fps, as some games will be too demanding on the CPU to run at that framerate on any current processor, and games will undoubtedly continue to get more demanding in the future. That's why adaptive sync can be good, since it allows the monitor to match its refresh rate to the frame rate. Do you have a 144Hz screen already, and does it happen to support G-Sync or FreeSync over a DisplayPort connection?

Dec 15, 2018
Our suggestion will also affect which board and ram combo you pick.
[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure what the pricing difference between the 2060 and 2070 is in Europe but in the US a 2060 is a considerably better value. Depending on the game you'll need a really fast CPU and probably a faster GPU to push minimum 144 at 1080p. My recommendation would be to grab the best current intel K chip you can afford. Otherwise an 8700 (non k) will run at 4.3 all core turbo under load all the time if you set it up properly. You will want a z370/z390 board if you want overclocking and memory speeds faster than 2666. Be aware of compatibility between z370 and 9th gen CPUs. The parts are compatible but need a recent bios to work. The problem is with most boards you need a compatible CPU to update the bios.
downgrading from the 2070 to 2060 will save me about 150 euro which i can put into the cpu or other parts if i want to. Also i was looking at the ryzen 7 2700x (281 euro on amazon.fr), is it at all comparable to the intel cpus in the same price range, will it bottleneck a 2060/70?

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah, if you don't intend on overclocking, an 8700 (non-k) would probably be a good choice for around $300, as it has 6 cores with SMT to better handle up to 12 threads, which would likely help performance when streaming. It also has boost clocks that put it nearly on par with the 8700K at stock settings. You might need to replace the stock cooler with at least a 120mm tower cooler though, since the included one tends to not have the cooling performance to allow it to reach its maximum clocks much of the time.

No CPU will allow you to play every new game at 144fps, as some games will be too demanding on the CPU to run at that framerate on any current processor, and games will undoubtedly continue to get more demanding in the future. That's why adaptive sync can be good, since it allows the monitor to match its refresh rate to the frame rate. Do you have a 144Hz screen already, and does it happen to support G-Sync or FreeSync over a DisplayPort connection?
Yeah i have AOC's G2590FX 144hz monitor which does support FreeSync