Which CPU to choose, Xeon or Core?

geoffmen

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
I'm shopping for the parts to build a new PC.
After some research I narrowed down my CPU choices to the Core i5-4570 and the Xeon X5550. They both have pretty good value according to cpubenchmark.net for around 200$ each. that's around my target budget goal (already got a 250GB SSD)
I understand the Xeon is a cpu for workstations and servers and the Core i5 more consumer-oriented (gamer?). I do a lot of multitask work involving web browsing, email client, messenging, music, downloading, web development (mysql), gimp, inkscape, often all at the same time... I would also like to run KDE smoothly. No gaming.
So it's more the typical use of a workstation. However the Xeon was made back in 2009 and the Core has more technologies embeded, it also has an integrated graphic while I believe the Xeon doesn't. The Xeon scores higher than the Core on the passmark benchmark though, however it's just 2 samples - not so reliable. I think I'd be better off with the i5 but I wonder if the Xeon with its 8 cores (4x2 w/hyperthreading) would better put up with extreme multitasking and hence be a better choice for my use. However, if I get the Xeon I would also have to buy a graphic card, which wouldn't be the case with the i5, am I mistaken?
I'd be happy to hear any opinion about all this.

Solution
With the Xeon you will have to get a video card and since you have said no gaming then the intergrated graphics of the i5-4570 will be good enough for what you want to do.
The Xeon being a 2009 manufacture date is a LGA 1366 socket CPU and you may struggle to find a motherboard because of the age. Currently Newegg has three boards , all are dual CPU socket and all support Xeon CPUs.

Because of the technology, the onboard graphics and the availability of matching components I would go with the i5-4570.
With the Xeon you will have to get a video card and since you have said no gaming then the intergrated graphics of the i5-4570 will be good enough for what you want to do.
The Xeon being a 2009 manufacture date is a LGA 1366 socket CPU and you may struggle to find a motherboard because of the age. Currently Newegg has three boards , all are dual CPU socket and all support Xeon CPUs.

Because of the technology, the onboard graphics and the availability of matching components I would go with the i5-4570.

Solution