Question Which DDR5 RAM modules are the fastest by default (no XMP)?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Endre

Reputable
Hello!

I am looking for parts that I'll eventually buy & use for my next build, next year.

I am looking for DDR5 RAM modules that run at the fastest possible speed by default @1.1V, no XMP.

This is the fastest DDR5 kit I came across:
Corsair SKU CMK32GX5M2A4800C34 (2x16GB DDR5-4800 CL34 @1.1V)

Question 1:
Is there a faster kit out there that I don't know about?

Question 2:
Is there a faster kit, or an equally fast kit out there, to the one that I've mentioned which is of 64GB (2x 32GB)?

Last edited:
Reactions: jnjnilson6
The JEDEC spec is more about the voltage and less about the frequency.
JEDEC spec is about frequency, voltage and timings, running anything outside of JEDEC specs = overclock, both intel and amd have it writren in warranties, intel is even more picky as it even excludes some JEDEC timings

If in order for those parameters to run, a higher voltage is needed, then it is called "overclock", or "eXtreme Memory Profile".
But if a memory module hits high-speed frequencies without the need of higher voltages, then it is called "optimization".
actually you can run higher frequency when you rise CL and few subtimings without raising voltage, you do rise voltage when you want to keep lower timings,same goes when reducin CL, that needs more voltage

mainboard specs tells you which clocks are overclocked and which arent (as far as mainboard overclock warranty goes), same applies to CPUs

if you buy mainboard which considers 2666mhz as highest no overclock for that mainboard and you slap there 3200 mhz sticks, then mainboard warranty is gone once you pass that safe clock, because to achieve that clock, you have to overclock no matter which CPU support what

btw there is no CPU which supports 3466mhz, it ends at 3200 for both CPU and mainboard, anything above is overclock even without XMP and i really doubt that JEDEC would add more speed bin entries (above 3200) as DDR4 is at the end of road

as for your main question about DDR5 JEDEC, max is 6000 now, 6400 was announced by teamgroup
https://www.amazon.com/TEAMGROUP-T-Create-Classic-PC5-48000-Supports/dp/B0BPHSK1HG

currently there is no CPU which supports those clocks without overclocking, as mentioned above:
intel 12th gen - 4800
intel 13th gen - 5600
ryzen 7th gen - 5200

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
It is.
On the motherboards that has the kit listed on the QVL.
"JEDEC/Plug-N-Play" (Default).

I just looked at the QVL list for the board you linked. It doesn't say any such thing.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...191113.pdf?v=6b31fd3e74af35254e2fee26c5802b22

lz5sWEk.jpg

Endre

Reputable
JEDEC spec is about frequency, voltage and timings, running anything outside of JEDEC specs = overclock, both intel and amd have it writren in warranties, intel is even more picky as it even excludes some JEDEC timings

actually you can run higher frequency when you rise CL and few subtimings without raising voltage, you do rise voltage when you want to keep lower timings,same goes when reducin CL, that needs more voltage

mainboard specs tells you which clocks are overclocked and which arent (as far as mainboard overclock warranty goes), same applies to CPUs

if you buy mainboard which considers 2666mhz as highest no overclock for that mainboard and you slap there 3200 mhz sticks, then mainboard warranty is gone once you pass that safe clock, because to achieve that clock, you have to overclock no matter which CPU support what

btw there is no CPU which supports 3466mhz, it ends at 3200 for both CPU and mainboard, anything above is overclock even without XMP and i really doubt that JEDEC would add more speed bin entries (above 3200) as DDR4 is at the end of road

as for your main question about DDR5 JEDEC, max is 6000 now, 6400 was announced by teamgroup
https://www.amazon.com/TEAMGROUP-T-Create-Classic-PC5-48000-Supports/dp/B0BPHSK1HG

currently there is no CPU which supports those clocks without overclocking, as mentioned above:
intel 12th gen - 4800
intel 13th gen - 5600
ryzen 7th gen - 5200

That is true about DDR5 for now.

logainofhades

Titan
What do you mean?
That it is not Plug-N-Play?
(That is specified by Kingston).
Gigabyte lists the QVL compatibility and the voltage: 1.2V.

And gigabyte lists the native speed as 2933. Native speed is the speed that kit will run, in that board, by default.

Even Gigabytes own specs shows such speed as an OC.
  1. 4 x DDR4 DIMM sockets supporting up to 128GB (32GB single DIMM capacity) of system memory**
    ** Please note that the support for system total memory size depends on the CPU installed.
  2. Dual channel memory architecture
  3. Support for DDR4 4400(O.C.) / 4333(O.C.) / 4266(O.C.) / 4133(O.C.) / 4000(O.C.) / 3866(O.C.) / 3800(O.C.) / 3733(O.C.) / 3666(O.C.) / 3600(O.C.) / 3466(O.C.) / 3400(O.C.) / 3333(O.C.) / 3300(O.C.) / 3200(O.C.) / 3000(O.C.) / 2800(O.C.) / 2666 /
It doesn't matter what Kingston claims. Ram speed is determined by the motherboard.

Endre

Reputable
And gigabyte lists the native speed as 2933. Native speed is the speed that kit will run, in that board, by default.

Even Gigabytes own specs shows such speed as an OC.
  1. 4 x DDR4 DIMM sockets supporting up to 128GB (32GB single DIMM capacity) of system memory**
    ** Please note that the support for system total memory size depends on the CPU installed.
  2. Dual channel memory architecture
  3. Support for DDR4 4400(O.C.) / 4333(O.C.) / 4266(O.C.) / 4133(O.C.) / 4000(O.C.) / 3866(O.C.) / 3800(O.C.) / 3733(O.C.) / 3666(O.C.) / 3600(O.C.) / 3466(O.C.) / 3400(O.C.) / 3333(O.C.) / 3300(O.C.) / 3200(O.C.) / 3000(O.C.) / 2800(O.C.) / 2666 /
It doesn't matter what Kingston claims. Ram speed is determined by the motherboard.

You are right on this one.
But even if that is so, loading the "Default JEDEC" profile in the BIOS wouldn't be considered an overclock because the voltage remains at 1.2V.
(The module has 3 profiles. They all run at 1.2V).

Endre

Reputable
Hello!

About memory OC: EXPO.
There is a storm now regarding Asus motherboards & EXPO profiles.

So, if you're buying a high-end Asus motherboard, an AMD CPU, and enable an EXPO profile, your platform might die!
Updating to a new BIOS version is on your own risk! Warranty is voided!
So, who said that memory XMP/EXPO profiles are "safe"?
Here's a video on the topic by Gamers Nexus:
View: https://youtu.be/cbGfc-JBxlY

Hello!

So, if you're buying a high-end Asus motherboard, an AMD CPU, and enable an EXPO profile, your platform might die!
thats a blunder on asus part

Reactions: Endre

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Hello!

Steve also emphasizes that EXPO/XMP/DOCP is NOT the problem, Asus pumping voltage to support everything without any tweaks is what is killing the mobos and is an AMD problem as it was not in the specifications they provided manufacturers. He also tested 7000 series non-X3D with auto memory profile and the performance drop is between 10-20%. If you want to run memory at stock then go with intel that is less dependant on ram speed but if you go AMD stay away from X3D chips as those benefit hugely from running at "AM5' sweet spot" of 6000mhz.
It's also not only a problem on high-end mother boards, both my older TUF and current Prime mobo has SoC jumping to 1.35-1.4v just by enabling DOCP and they are definately low-mid boards.

Reactions: Endre

Endre

Reputable
Steve also emphasizes that EXPO/XMP/DOCP is NOT the problem, Asus pumping voltage to support everything without any tweaks is what is killing the mobos and is an AMD problem as it was not in the specifications they provided manufacturers. He also tested 7000 series non-X3D with auto memory profile and the performance drop is between 10-20%. If you want to run memory at stock then go with intel that is less dependant on ram speed but if you go AMD stay away from X3D chips as those benefit hugely from running at "AM5' sweet spot" of 6000mhz.
It's also not only a problem on high-end mother boards, both my older TUF and current Prime mobo has SoC jumping to 1.35-1.4v just by enabling DOCP and they are definately low-mid boards.
That's true.

I just wanted to point out that this is one of those situations where memory stock speed is safer than XMP/EXPO OC.

Yes, I'll stay away from AMD platforms, and I'll use stock DDR5, or at least CPU spec DIMMs (5600MT/s @1.25V).

Ezra Litton

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2013
Hello!

I am looking for parts that I'll eventually buy & use for my next build, next year.

I am looking for DDR5 RAM modules that run at the fastest possible speed by default @1.1V, no XMP.

This is the fastest DDR5 kit I came across:
Corsair SKU CMK32GX5M2A4800C34 (2x16GB DDR5-4800 CL34 @1.1V)

Question 1:
Is there a faster kit out there that I don't know about?

Question 2:
Is there a faster kit, or an equally fast kit out there, to the one that I've mentioned which is of 64GB (2x 32GB)?
Did anyone reply to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS