Which desktop pc to buy? HP Slimline or another one?

dlmorg

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
I'm going to buy a new desktop pc and i want it to have an intel core i5 and 8gb ram. Also, it would be great if it wasn't too big so that it doesn't consume a lot of space. I have searched a bit and i have found an HP Slimline with intel core i5 and 8gb ram. It seems good and it's also not too big. The thing i'm not sure is about how easily will i be able to upgrade any part of it if i want to in the future. What's your opinion about it? Does it have a good performance and can i upgrade it easily or should i better look for another desktop? What other desktops with these characteristics would you recommend?

Thanks a lot.

rwoody

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015
DO NOT BUY A SLIMLINE if you want to upgrade any part of your PC. I have learned this from experience. The space you save now will limit your upgrade options considerably.

If I could do it over again, I would have purchased a full/mid size tower and found somewhere else to put it.

dlmorg

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015

As concerning its performance is it good?

rwoody

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015

Yes, performance is good to start. What kind of graphics does it have? Integrated or dedicated? My Acer slimline had integrated, and to add a dedicated card it had to be low profile and single slot. Slimline cases cannot hold a full size GPU, which means you won't be able to upgrade very far. Also most slimline PC's have small, proprietary power supplies, so if you ever plan on expanding with more peripherals you'll have to find a very specific model of PSU. They can be hard to find and expensive. I don't recommend going that route.

dlmorg

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015

Thank you for your help. It seems like the slimline is not what i need. I need to be able to upgrade it easily. Do you or someone else in the forum have any recommendation about a good desktop pc with 8gb ram and intel i5?

rwoody

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015
Are you completely set on buying off the shelf? You could get much more bang for your buck if you build it yourself. If you absolutely must purchase one via retail, I would check out IBuyPower/CyberPowerPC. They will build it for you, but you will be paying a bit of a premium since they are doing the work. Lastly, don't do something silly like buying one from a big-box store like Best Buy. You get the least amount of value buying from there.