Question Which devices are Gen2 ARGB can normal ARGB fans be some how changed to Gen 2 ARGB

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Which devices are Gen2 ARGB can normal ARGB fans be some how changed to Gen 2 ARGB
Cooler Master says their ARGB Gen2 controller A1 allows something called Multi-Layer Mode Where if the fans are also ARGB Gen 2 if the fans are daisy chained or connected using a splitter or hub each individual fans will be detected and can be customized individually(https://landing.coolermaster.com/pages/addressable-gen-2-rgb-led-controller/) cooler master says their ARGB products manufactured after 1 June 2021 are all ARGB Gen 2.

-Is there a way to find out for other brands?
-How to find if a ARGB peripheral is Gen1 or Gen 2 for brands other than cooler master?
-Can anyone share a list or ARGB Gen 2 devices?
-Is there any way to convert normal ARGB devices to Gen2 (example my Deepcool L360 ARGB Aio and its CF120 Fans)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Further to our discussions in another thread, your last question here can be answered. Apparently the two versions (Gen 1 and Gen 2) are significantly different in how they are designed and operated, so you cannot mix the two together on one circuit. A particular Controller output can control one type or the other, but not both simultaneously, and I do NOT think it is easy to create an adapter to make one work in the other Mode.

HOWEVER, I note that the newer model A1 ARGB Controller released by Cooler Master says it has three output ports and that each actually is from a separate Controller. Within the MasterPlus+ software utility you get to configure each of these separtely, and one option for each is to select whether you have connected to that output port lights of a Gen1 or Gen 2 version. So you CAN manage lights of both types in one computer as long as you keep Gen 1 lights plugged into one port, and Gen 2 into another. I do NOT know whether that same configuration ability exists for separate ARGB headers on new ASUS mobos.

Reactions: Arun05

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Further to our discussions in another thread, your last question here can be answered. Apparently the two versions (Gen 1 and Gen 2) are significantly different in how they are designed and operated, so you cannot mix the two together on one circuit. A particular Controller output can control one type or the other, but not both simultaneously, and I do NOT think it is easy to create an adapter to make one work in the other Mode.

HOWEVER, I note that the newer model A1 ARGB Controller released by Cooler Master says it has three output ports and that each actually is from a separate Controller. Within the MasterPlus+ software utility you get to configure each of these separtely, and one option for each is to select whether you have connected to that output port lights of a Gen1 or Gen 2 version. So you CAN manage lights of both types in one computer as long as you keep Gen 1 lights plugged into one port, and Gen 2 into another. I do NOT know whether that same configuration ability exists for separate ARGB headers on new ASUS mobos.

if there is any way to find out if a device is ARGB Gen2(Other than cooler master) please let me know

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Only four ways I could imagine.
  1. Advertising - if it claims to be Gen 2, then maybe. But then I still would check with the others below.
  2. Contact Sales or Tech Support for the maker. Ask specifically if their particular product WILL work properly with either an ASUS mobo header or a Cooler Master Gen 2 Controller. Will they guarantee that?
  3. Contact Sales or Tech Support for ASUS and ask if they know whether specific Product X will work with their mobo ARGB Gen 2 header and Armoury Crate utility.
  4. Contact Sales or Tech Support for Cooler Master and ask if they know whether specific Product X will work with their model A1 ARGB Gen 2 Controller and MasterPlus+ utility.
EDIT added later:
Be very specific in asking whether any device can "work properly" with a Controller. At least some of these Controllers can be set to use either Gen1 or Gen 2. So technically any Gen 1 lights CAN be made to "work" with such a Controller, BUT you do NOT get the total individual light control feature of a Gen 2 system that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arun05