[SOLVED] Which disk for what?

odongo

Reputable
May 20, 2017
Hi. I have a 500gb EVO 970 gen3 m.2, a 500gb EVO 860 ssd and a Sabrent 500gb PCIE gen4 m.2.

The question is, how to correctly configure the system, scratch, and file disk? I mean, which disk should I use for OS, and which for the rest? I'm a designer, so adobe software also lets you configure scratch disk and so. Also, I play games, so, where Do I should install them?

My first idea was to use the EVO 970 m.2 for system and software, the SSD for files and games, and the Sabrent for scratch, but I don't know if that's the best configuration. I hope you can give me your sustained opinion.

Solution
I'd definitely say evo 970 is best candidate for system as it's the best balanced rea/write wise of the 3. As for the scratch I'd pick sabrent for simple safety reason. SSD have a limited write cycles and once they breach that they fail without warning and are hard if not almost impossible to recover files from. So 3rd place and title of file storage/installation place for less demanding games goes to evo 860. Note that 500gb seem a bit much for the system alone which means you can and should install adobe there, optionally a game or 2 that you play most requently.

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I'd definitely say evo 970 is best candidate for system as it's the best balanced rea/write wise of the 3. As for the scratch I'd pick sabrent for simple safety reason. SSD have a limited write cycles and once they breach that they fail without warning and are hard if not almost impossible to recover files from. So 3rd place and title of file storage/installation place for less demanding games goes to evo 860. Note that 500gb seem a bit much for the system alone which means you can and should install adobe there, optionally a game or 2 that you play most requently.

Reactions: odongo
Solution

odongo

Reputable
May 20, 2017
Thanks for answering. The gen 4 extra speed of the Sabrent rocket doesn't make it a candidate for the system? Or as you said, would be better for scratching?

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Honestly both are good in either scratch or system position. Sabrent could technically be better since it's true system and games rely more heavily on read speed. However From my personal experience I'd say difference won't be noticable. I didn't get much boost between running system/games on my previous drive Corsair MP500 480 GB M.2 2280 PCI-E x4 Gen3 NVMe (CSSD-F480GBMP500) compared to recently switched Corsair Force MP600 500 GB M.2 2280 PCI-E x4 Gen4 NVMe (CSSD-F500GBMP600). Sure benchmarks and test I ran said it's better but for the naked eye/general use not a deal breaker.

Reactions: odongo

odongo

Reputable
May 20, 2017
Honestly both are good in either scratch or system position. Sabrent could technically be better since it's true system and games rely more heavily on read speed. However From my personal experience I'd say difference won't be noticable. I didn't get much boost between running system/games on my previous drive Corsair MP500 480 GB M.2 2280 PCI-E x4 Gen3 NVMe (CSSD-F480GBMP500) compared to recently switched Corsair Force MP600 500 GB M.2 2280 PCI-E x4 Gen4 NVMe (CSSD-F500GBMP600). Sure benchmarks and test I ran said it's better but for the naked eye/general use not a deal breaker.
Thanks man!