which do I buy?

mcgamatic

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
Recently I’ve been looking at routers to buy because I got less than 1 mbps last time I tested it a few months ago... ( I know... TERRIBLE) with a $80 bill attached to that from Verizon so I figured it’s the router and I looked up some routers and saw that they use modems. I live in an apartment and my router is just plugged into the wall along with the phone. To increase my speed and actually get what I’m paying for, do I need to get a modem or a new router? (I don’t even know if I have a modem bc of plug into wall thing. HELP!!)

Solution
Have you spoken to your ISP? They will tell you what the MINIMUM speed you should be getting. Always speak to them first to rule out a network problem at their end. Nothing wrong with upgrading equipment, but just make sure the incoming network connection is performing at its best first.

Kenton82

Reputable
Have you spoken to your ISP? They will tell you what the MINIMUM speed you should be getting. Always speak to them first to rule out a network problem at their end. Nothing wrong with upgrading equipment, but just make sure the incoming network connection is performing at its best first.

Solution